Are the WS BSS (Blue-Sphere Section) mods safe to host?

Soniku11

((This is a copypasted post i also did on the WS recently, because i needed to have it here more specially, because i need the recommendations and help from either staff, or proffesionals from the community, just to get the doubt off my chest.))

So, ive having this doubt since long ago, and i never took the risk because i always had been to afraid for it, considering how controversial the Workshop has always been in terms of the Srb2 community as a whole, because portlegs and all the shit that happened in between.

Knowing that we have BBS (Blue-Sphere Section), and RSS (Red-Sphere Section).
How safe to host are the mods from the Blue-Sphere section? i mean, i do know that the RSS are quite illegal, because obvious reasons, they all are straight up portlegs, even if they are made with good intents, because the love for the content. Im not that dumb.

But my doubt, its that, considering that BSS are the "normal", and also having in mind the controversy involving the whole WS itself, would it be safe to take mods from the Blue-Sphere section, and host with them right away?

In general (and this goes for any mod from anywhere), the only real way to cover your bases is to only host mods found on the MB. Even mods you find on GB and the MS can have stolen content too. AFAIK (I'm not staff), the only rule for hosting with mods is that none of them can contain stolen content, not that all mods from the WS are banned.

I think a lot of people hosting with SUGOI portlegs right now simply got them from other servers on the MS and didn't know they were portlegs. It's still on you to check, but the fastest and easiest way to do that is to see if the mod is on the MB.

In general (and this goes for any mod from anywhere), the only real way to cover your bases is to only host mods found on the MB. Even mods you find on GB and the MS can have stolen content too. AFAIK (I'm not staff), the only rule for hosting with mods is that none of them can contain stolen content, not that all mods from the WS are banned.

I think a lot of people hosting with SUGOI portlegs right now simply got them from other servers on the MS and didn't know they were portlegs. It's still on you to check, but the fastest and easiest way to do that is to see if the mod is on the MB.
i ask this, for as dumb as it might be as a question, due to the reason i gave, the infamy of the WB, even thought the Blue-Sphere section was made to host the "normal" mods, like the whole Addon section of the MB, while having the Red-Sphere section being the "dark side" of the page, where you have all stolen shit, or just portlegs, independently if you did it with good or bad intentions
Post automatically merged:

i ask this, for as dumb as it might be as a question, due to the reason i gave, the infamy of the WB, even thought the Blue-Sphere section was made to host the "normal" mods, like the whole Addon section of the MB, while having the Red-Sphere section being the "dark side" of the page, where you have all stolen shit, or just portlegs, independently if you did it with good or bad intentions
Even if its a dumb and obvious question, its wiser to always ask, in case of doubt.

In general I don't think the WS is in a good enough standing to trust outright, even if only from the Blue Spheres section. The entire website was created specifically to allow stolen content.

In general I don't think the WS is in a good enough standing to trust outright, even if only from the Blue Spheres section. The entire website was created specifically to allow stolen content.
lets be honest, the admins themselves from the WS are the ones with the last choice, to pick where a mod should belong, if its an obvious portleg with no credits, they reject it. If its a legit mod, something you made yourself or with help from a friend, it belongs to the Blue Sphere. And if you portleg, BUT bother to at least put the credits, they get sent to the Red sphere

lets be honest, the admins themselves from the WS are the ones with the last choice, to pick where a mod should belong, if its an obvious portleg with no credits, they reject it. If its a legit mod, something you made yourself or with help from a friend, it belongs to the Blue Sphere. And if you portleg, BUT bother to at least put the credits, they get sent to the Red sphere
But as i said, its wiser to ask anyways, to know what might staff here think about it, despite having at least a hint about it on the WS itself. Just in case.

No, not really. They've hosted stuff against the creator's expressed wishes before. That alone is enough to not trust them.

No, not really. They've hosted stuff against the creator's expressed wishes before. That alone is enough to not trust them.
What i mean is, the way of reasoning they have, being basically just as i said.

If its legit by you, it goes for the BSS.

If its a portleg with credits, to the RSS it goes.

and if its both a portleg, and with no credits, off you go lad, nice try.

Just because they accept portlegs, doesnt mean they dont have minimum standards, yknow, theft its bad, and if you do, at least give credits, have some decency. (Thought as i mentioned in other post, im yet to meet one case where this happens).

What i mean is, the way of reasoning they have, being basically just as i said.

If its legit by you, it goes for the BSS.

If its a portleg with credits, to the RSS it goes.

and if its both a portleg, and with no credits, off you go lad, nice try.

Just because they accept portlegs, doesnt mean they dont have minimum standards, yknow, theft its bad, and if you do, at least give credits, have some decency. (Thought as i mentioned in other post, im yet to meet one case where this happens).
I don't trust them to properly vet things submitted to the Blue Spheres section. I don't think anyone really should. The whole reason that site was founded was because one of its founders was banned from the MB for trying to sneak content from a banned user into an MB mod, and they didn't like the MB's rules against stolen content. They also have really questionable ethics in general, so no, I don't think they have reliable minimum standards.

I don't trust them to properly vet things submitted to the Blue Spheres section. I don't think anyone really should. The whole reason that site was founded was because one of its founders was banned from the MB for trying to sneak content from a banned user into an MB mod. They also have really questionable ethics in general, so no, I don't think they have reliable minimum standards.
I mean, isnt THAT exactly why they have a Red-Sphere section anyways? to put all the illegal stuff there, while still allowing for legit stuff to be hosted, on a separated section, the Blue-Sphere

I mean, isnt THAT exactly why they have a Red-Sphere section anyways? to put all the illegal stuff there, while still allowing for legit stuff to be hosted, on a separated section, the Blue-Sphere
"Legit stuff" still includes content uploaded without consent. So no, not really.

"Legit stuff" still includes content uploaded without consent. So no, not really.
Allow me to repeat myself again.

If its a portleg, or in general something that would go against the MS and MB rules, they would send it to the Red-Sphere anyways.
Stop hating on the WS so much, and no, im no defendant of the WS, im just being partial, which its another thing completely different.

Many people still hold grudges against the WS (Including you), and i dont judge them, no wonder, considering that they allow for portlegs, but the most wise decision you can take, its by informing, not throwing shit at other pages and discouraging to even think about them.

Its wiser to always inform what is dangerous and what not from other sites, in this case the WS, teaching newer people, that in this specific case, mods from the Red-Sphere should be avoided, if youre a server host, like it was a virus that could cause another pandemic. Because you WILL get into trouble.

Allow me to repeat myself again.

If its a portleg, or in general something that would go against the MS and MB rules, they would send it to the Red-Sphere anyways.
Stop hating on the WS so much, and no, im no defendant of the WS, im just being partial, which its another thing completely different.

Many people still hold grudges against the WS (Including you), and i dont judge them, no wonder, considering that they allow for portlegs, but the most wise decision you can take, its by informing, not throwing shit at other pages and discouraging to even think about them.

Its wiser to always inform what is dangerous and what not from other sites, in this case the WS, teaching newer people, that in this specific case, mods from the Red-Sphere should be avoided, if youre a server host, like it was a virus that could cause another pandemic. Because you WILL get into trouble.
Also, let me add that, nobody is an angel neither, even the MB had their wrongdoings, in some way or another.

We always gotta treat equally EVERYONE, unless they did something really bad, that can even escalate to irl legal issues, like massive spam, raiding the other site, any anticompetitive practice that might get you in troubles, and something thats REALLY bad, and not just someone taking a mod from god knows when, and porting it to the new versions, or stealing a mod without giving credits at least.

they would send it to the Red-Sphere anyways.
I do not think you are understanding me. I don't trust them to do that. I don't think anyone should. They are bigots who founded the site after they got banned lol. I don't have much reason to view them in good standing.
like massive spam, raiding the other site
You mean, like launching a DDOS attack on the MB?

1706728276368.png

I do not think you are understanding me. I don't trust them to do that. I don't think anyone should. They are bigots who founded the site after they got banned lol. I don't have much reason to view them in good standing.

You mean, like launching a DDOS attack on the MB?

View attachment 110746
And why are you bringing this here now? i only said that both parts might had done wrong in some way, and at some point, and the fact that you should treat everyone equally still.

Allow me to, while obvious at first glance, i say it anyways, that whatever the admins do, should be treated as different things and separated from what happens in the site itself.

What i mean is basically, you dont need to hate the art, just because you hate the author, basically.
Apply exactly that to the WS, and its admins, treating both separated.

Just because the admins did wrong, doesnt mean the site will immediatly become a dark and illegal place, like if it were a blackmarket. Its still a page for everyone to use and host their mods and download, much like the MB, thought with the questionable addition of being able to host portlegs, that is..

In anyways, i think my question has been answered. So i ask please for this thread to be locked, thanks you

Ya'll, stop arguing. You both have opinions that seem right to you. That's okay. If someone doesn't agree, they shouldn't have to. Just ask an admin if you two will just start arguing at this point.

Ya'll, stop arguing. You both have opinions that seem right to you. That's okay. If someone doesn't agree, they shouldn't have to. Just ask an admin if you two will just start arguing at this point.
Thats exactly why i said to get an admin to close the thread, to lock it. Because there is no more point to it, as my question, i believe it has gotten answered.

And why are you bringing this here now?
You said, and I quote:
We always gotta treat equally EVERYONE, unless they did something really bad, that can even escalate to irl legal issues, like massive spam, raiding the other site,
So I posted evidence of the admins doing something really bad.
whatever the admins do, should be treated as different things and separated from what happens in the site itself.
The admins are the ones who ultimately decide what goes on the site, no? In fact, you already said that:
the admins themselves from the WS are the ones with the last choice, to pick where a mod should belong
So since you already agree, let's move on to the next point. If the admins have done bad things, the kind like you described (massive spam and raiding the other site), and they are the ones with the last choice, then maybe we shouldn't trust them as much?

You said, and I quote:

So I posted evidence of the admins doing something really bad.

The admins are the ones who ultimately decide what goes on the site, no? In fact, you already said that:

So since you already agree, let's move on to the next point. If the admins have done bad things, the kind like you described (massive spam and raiding the other site), and they are the ones with the last choice, then maybe we shouldn't trust them as much?
Please, Dylan, stop it. I already said to make the difference, and dont treat both the art and the author like a single entity.

Yes, they did bad shit, but they follow the rules in what managing a modding host forum, while allowing portlegs, still having some standards and morale by rejecting the ones that doesnt bother to at least credit the creator.

Lets NOT do this, please, dont keep on answering, and dont try to keep on argue with me, as this post its getting off the rails anyways. Youre slowly derailing it to center on the administrators themselves isntead of the page, which was my focus of attention, and the whole point of this thread.

I don't see why it would be against the rules, but don't be surprised if something you download from the Blue Spheres section isn't as safe as you're betting. It's your own risk to take.

Ya'll, stop already.
Arguments happen. Instead of the classic "everyone stahp!!!!", which never works, you might find it worthwhile to listen to all sides and actually contribute. It might defuse a situation. Or make it worse, which is why an alternative option is to remain silent and watch it unfold.
If you have a problem with a thread or subsequent posts, like say, people getting too rowdy, you should use the report button you can find at the bottom-left corner of every post.
1706747533466.png

So i ask please for this thread to be locked, thanks you
Try making a thread here for greater visibility:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back