Any developments/thoughts regarding loop de loops in SRB2?

For those unaware of what exactly I mean, I am talking about how, as of 2.2.11, only running up a floor slope attached to a wall will properly rotate your momentum, whilst jumping/launching into a slope on the ceiling does not; in situations like entering a loop de loop or sideways half-pipe, for example, reaching the point where the wall becomes the ceiling slope cuts all vertical momentum.

Looking at the code that handles player-slope interaction (p_slopes.c), there only appears to be a function for slope-to-wall momentum transfer, that being P_GetWallTransferMomZ. Considering there is no attaching to walls or ceilings in SRB2 currently (not referring to Knuckles' climbing, but instead the way running up walls is handled in the classic Sonic titles; see https://info.sonicretro.org/SPG:Slope_Physics for more info), it's understandable why it would be difficult to compute a wall-to-slope transfer. In fact, there are several possible reasons for this momentum transfer to be a challenge, including the lack of player rotation outside of yaw (I believe pitch and roll are defined, but not used anywhere), the way ceilings interact with the player, and probably a bunch of others I haven't thought of. With the alteration or implementation of any of these, however, this concept I believe to be integral to the recreation of the "original Sonic games[']" design, a goal SRB2 is said to be attempting in the first paragraph of its website's welcome page, could finally become a reality. Also, it would open several avenues for level design and generally make the game feel less Doom-like and much more Sonic-like, but the latter could be argued as detrimental to SRB2's unique identity.

I apologize for the length; I simply wanted to show anyone who read this post- whether they are a casual player, experienced modder, or staff member of any position- the extent of my knowledge on the subject. If you have any questions or concerns alongside your developments/thoughts, I would love to hear what you have to say; I want the best for this game, and in order to do that I must know what is best.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back