• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Another SRB2 Wad problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSpikes57

I like chicken pot pie.
Ok. I created the name, face, character picture, 5 sprites, and the OBJCTCFG and S_SKIN1 stuff in SLumpEd. WHen I went to go test the wad, I got a message saying "single handler(): segment violation" Whats wrong with it?

As the wiki states, you need a sprite for each slot. For the WAD to work at all, you will need at LEAST the following sprites (AAAA stands for whatever four-letter prefix you choose):

AAAAA0
AAAAB0
AAAAC0
AAAAD0
AAAAE0
AAAAF0
AAAAG0
AAAAH0
AAAAI0
AAAAJ0
AAAAK0
AAAAL0
AAAAM0
AAAAN0
AAAAO0
AAAAP0
AAAAQ0
AAAAR0
AAAAS0
AAAAT0
AAAAU0
AAAAV0
AAAAW0
AAAAX0
AAAAY0
AAAAZ0
AAAA[0
AAAA\0
AAAA]0
AAAA^0
AAAA_0
AAAA`0
AAAAa0
AAAAb0

Of course, the zeroes mean that the same sprite will be shown for all eight directions. You can split them to show different sprites for different directions. For example, AAAAB0 can become AAAAB1, AAAAB2B8, AAAAB3B7, AAAAB4B6, and AAAAB5. For details on that, see the wiki.

If you wish to save yourself the hassle of putting placeholder sprites in manually, you could instead edit a copy of an existing character WAD, in which case the placeholder sprites will be ready-made for you. I did exactly that when making Bippo, and that’s why all my sprites for that character are preceded by TAIL.

Additionally, without the c and d sprites, I believe you will be unable to gain 1UP boxes (the e sprite might possibly also be required, but I am unsure of that), which will be a problem. Without the f sprite, the signpost will be removed as soon as it spins to what would normally be your picture, but that is purely aesthetic.

As the wiki states, you need a sprite for each slot. For the WAD to work at all, you will need at LEAST the following sprites (AAAA stands for whatever four-letter prefix you choose):

AAAAA0
AAAAB0
AAAAC0
AAAAD0
AAAAE0
AAAAF0
AAAAG0
AAAAH0
AAAAI0
AAAAJ0
AAAAK0
AAAAL0
AAAAM0
AAAAN0
AAAAO0
AAAAP0
AAAAQ0
AAAAR0
AAAAS0
AAAAT0
AAAAU0
AAAAV0
AAAAW0
AAAAX0
AAAAY0
AAAAZ0
AAAA[0
AAAA\0
AAAA]0
AAAA^0
AAAA_0
AAAA`0
AAAAa0
AAAAb0

Of course, the zeroes mean that the same sprite will be shown for all eight directions. You can split them to show different sprites for different directions. For example, AAAAB0 can become AAAAB1, AAAAB2B8, AAAAB3B7, AAAAB4B6, and AAAAB5. For details on that, see the wiki.

If you wish to save yourself the hassle of putting placeholder sprites in manually, you could instead edit a copy of an existing character WAD, in which case the placeholder sprites will be ready-made for you. I did exactly that when making Bippo, and that’s why all my sprites for that character are preceded by TAIL.

Additionally, without the c and d sprites, I believe you will be unable to gain 1UP boxes (the e sprite might possibly also be required, but I am unsure of that), which will be a problem. Without the f sprite, the signpost will be removed as soon as it spins to what would normally be your picture, but that is purely aesthetic.
Your missing the last few sprites.

The only sprites I did not mention are the super transform sprites, which to my knowledge are not necessary.

DarkSpikes, if you want to see what a WAD requires, download a character WAD from this forum board and look at what it has.

The only sprites I did not mention are the super transform sprites, which to my knowledge are not necessary.

DarkSpikes, if you want to see what a WAD requires, download a character WAD from this forum board and look at what it has.
Not only the super sprites, your missing the 1-up sprite and the goal sign sprite.

I listed these seperately because technically the character can function without them.

From the experience that I've gotten from testing Greeman, you only need a full rotation to avoid getting a SIGSEGV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back