Abuse of Consurctive Criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic said:
I would not be where I currently am right now if it weren't for large quantities of negative criticism. It is completely essential to the map making process.
You can say that suggestions help for making the level playable, but I think there comes a point where only you yourself can make decisions about your maps. For me, one of these decisions was about the level of detail in Forever Forest. And for me, I decided I didn't want to continue that level of detail. 'Nuff said.

I said the feedback is incredibly important. Obviously I don't agree with every piece of feedback I receive, and I certainly don't implement every suggestion I get. If I did, Mystic Realm would come with Emerald Start preinstalled and it would baby you at every opportunity. However, it's still important to know what as wide a variety of people think of your material as possible to get as many different viewpoints as possible.

You don't have to actually use all their suggestions, but getting all that information is essential. There are many places in Mystic Realm where I intentionally didn't do what my testers suggested, but it was a conscious choice to ignore them instead of just leaving it the way it was because I thought it was awesome as-is with no knowledge that people are having issues with that section.

Another great tactic for gathering information on how well your level plays is having the tester host a game, and then F12 to watch them play through the level for the first time. You get to see where they get stuck, as well as get their feedback as it happens.

I really can't stress enough how essential feedback, especially negative feedback, is to the creative process. Ignoring it is just shooting yourself in the foot, and constructive criticism on these forums is by far the most productive type of post on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back