A_RingExplode Help - Fixed, nothing to worthwhile see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I want to make a missile that on contact with a surface, spawns some floating spears that are deadly using A_RingExplode (So they fly all over the place). I know this is possible as I've done it with a edit of the ring object. So I've completed everything, the sprites are set up, and I test it. So, it works partially. It does everything properly, except the spheres only spawn for about half a second. I don't want this to happen. I want them to keep on going instead of disappearing in a second. I know I've set up everything properly as I've done it in the ring mod, and it turned out they way I wanted. I've even copied the ring mod properties into the sphere and nothing changed.

Any suggestions?

hmm... I've never worked with A_RingExplode in the way you're talking about. Upload both SOCs(or wads, or whatever), and I'll see what I can do. Going about this any other way would just be a game of 20 questions, anyways XD

One of the only SOC effects I've worked on is Ringexplode, and I've noticed that missiles just dissipate after a short while.

I used it in a spring thok charability and it was worthwhile though (it actually could hit enemies and players), but the range was just too short.
srb20238ij9.png

If used with a scenery object, it keeps going until the object dies. I actually called it a number of times in this shot.
srb20222wj6.png

Perhaps if there's a way you could make the object change from a scenery to a missile...

Well, I must admit this has me perplexed... there shouldn't be any difference in behavior between the examples you gave.

It is my guess that there is a hard-coded object property at work with the ring object, which is absent in your "sphere". While I do have a partial work-around to this, it is early in the morning, and the fix is hypothetical... its something that I've had in my head for a year or so now, but never got around to doing. It would also need some tweaking to achieve precisely the desired effect you are looking for. Anyways, maybe I'll "fix" it tomorrow. But for now, I've optimized the SOCs you sent me, reducing the file size and allowing more features from other SOCs to work when this is added afterwards.

EvilRing.soc: 1.16 kb -> 111 b
CrawlaSplode.soc: 3.91 kb -> 1.6 kb
EpicEgg.wad: -> 5.95 kb -> 5.61 kb

It may not seem like much, but this can reduce consfails, since not as much is being "altered", and because the filesize is smaller, there is less lag when people download from the host.

So, here it is.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/npt7i5

PS: Just saw that I'll Begin inadvertently showed you how to fix it.... you can incorporate your fix into my optimized version by replacing the entry for thing 245.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back