A proposition for SRB2 server lovers... (Project Blue Hog)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zeldagamer00 said:
Great... a few months after i find a decent free FPS.

Decent? The Master Server is full of only co-op servers right now, go take a look.

Ontopic, I would like to see something like this happen, though I have a question. Would I still have to forward my ports to host?

Chrome the hedgehog said:
zeldagamer00 said:
Great... a few months after i find a decent free FPS.

Decent? The Master Server is full of only co-op servers right now, go take a look.

Ontopic, I would like to see something like this happen, though I have a question. Would I still have to forward my ports to host?

Why would you? The whole point is that the server is remotely hosted 24/7 on a much faster connection.

The VPS rules will be the same as the MS they connect to, plus a few other rules to keep the usage down.

zeldagamer00, where have you been? Most FPS games have these sorts of things going, why does it kill the point of the master server, eh? It still has a purpose... >_>

On the subject of money, would you guys rather I gave out the service for free, resulting in a lack of money to pay for the servers, thus not making them 24/7 as they go down every month for weeks until I have the money to pay for another month?

Live stats from MySQL? Lulz, how many UPDATE statements are you gonna fire per second?

Cue said:
Good news, by the way, I just received a reply from CheapVPS, the guys I'll be getting the servers from, and they said they'd be happy to make an exception to their no game servers rule as an SRB2 dedicated server is far from a resource hog.

...Except the game always runs at 100% CPU utilization?

I also don't recommend using 1.09.4 - it's going to crash too often to leave it unmanned for long periods.

SSNTails said:
Live stats from MySQL? Lulz, how many UPDATE statements are you gonna fire per second?

Cue said:
Good news, by the way, I just received a reply from CheapVPS, the guys I'll be getting the servers from, and they said they'd be happy to make an exception to their no game servers rule as an SRB2 dedicated server is far from a resource hog.

...Except the game always runs at 100% CPU utilization?

I also don't recommend using 1.09.4 - it's going to crash too often to leave it unmanned for long periods.

cpusleep is your friend.

It'll be some time before I get this setup anyway, by that time, 1.09.4b will hopefully be out... (luls)

Cue, I know you're netgame hungry, but why don't you just grab a few friends on IRC? I mean, come on. This doesn't feel like it will be helping netgame quality at all.

I like Draykon's idea better, btw. SRB2 MMO sound like it'll be fun if we can get some quality levels. Not that it's going to happen ever.

BlueZero4 said:
I like Draykon's idea better, btw. SRB2 MMO sound like it'll be fun if we can get some quality levels. Not that it's going to happen ever.

As much as I love the sound of Draykon's idea, getting enough players for an MMO on even a super computer (luls) is more or less impossible. :<

Never mind multiple maps, just make lots places and link them togethe-... damn, there's the limit. :/

AJ, is there any way at all to increase that limit by even more than 1.1 has? Thinking it through this is starting to sound like a pretty damn good idea.

"65536 ought to be enough for anybody."

Really, you can cram craploads of maps inside that. The entire game engine is based around 16-bit fixed point math, using the top 16-bits for the number, and the bottom 16-bits for the decimal values for a total of 32-bits. If you wanted to go higher, some kind of 64-bit SRB2 would have to be made.

SSNTails said:
"65536 ought to be enough for anybody."

Really, you can cram craploads of maps inside that. The entire game engine is based around 16-bit fixed point math, using the top 16-bits for the number, and the bottom 16-bits for the decimal values for a total of 32-bits. If you wanted to go higher, some kind of 64-bit SRB2 would have to be made.

I can use bigger then 65536 becuase everytime I think my level is big enough, my level still ends up looking small.

...You can't use more than 65536. That's the limit for 1.1. The limit for 1.09.4 is even smaller, being 32768. And if you made a map bigger than 65536, it would be... ridiculously enormous. No level really needs to be that size, unless you want the map to take hours to complete (that is, if it isn't just a straight path from one side of the map to the other). Of course, you would be intersecting the blockmap, so I guess that's not possible anyway.

Red Fire (The True Fire) said:
I'm suprised noone has said this yet ,but...

Copyright - Sure we are using Sonic characthers and the like ,but, Sega doesn't seem to really mind our fangame that we have here unless we do something like this,

PAY - Pay to play is a no-no as much as I'd really like to host one of these "super servers". I know that it's just for the company you got the machine from and not for you're own personal money uses ,but, come on man do you really wanna risk us having to shutdown this community once and for ALL ?

I love playing SRB2 ,but, if you do something like this there is more of a chance of us being put down for copyright infringement.

Unless you make a deal with SEGA , which I highly doubt will happen.

(For the ignorant: I said that I knew we were already violating the law, by using sonio characthers and other stuff from SEGA. It's just that I fear that it might be WORSE if we start charging for "soecial servers" which I doubt people will use because they don't have the money. Only the olbies or noobhogs will use these servers to my guesses.)

Hmm, im going to have to agree with Red Fire (The True Fire) on this one.
Once even the smallest amount of money gets involved, all Hell breaks loose.

About this "modified binary"... Would it need a SQL (Or whatever you call it) server, and will you be releasing the source code for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back