A possible solution to Thokfests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luminous said:
Not really. Fawfulfan, I dominate you in just about every match I found you in.

Yeah, it was kinda an exaggeration to say I'm "a force to be reckoned with". You are clearly superior in skill to me, as are plenty of other players, but I frequently dominate other people too. The point I'm trying to make is that Tails and Knuckles aren't "useless". Additionally, I've often had my butt kicked by Tails or by another Knux. I've also seen these same people dominating those playing as Sonic, so it isn't just my skill level.

Sonic is superior in circuit, period. If you're playing as Sonic and you lose to another player as Tails or Knuckles, that other player is simply better than you are. Depending on the stage, the advantage could be small or dramatic. Obviously, if you're making custom stages it's entirely possible to make a stage where Tails or Knuckles are the best choice, but in the official rotation there aren't any of those.

Character balance for race is not something we worry about. We assume you're playing as Sonic in race. For match and CTF we actually worry about the balance between the characters.

Mystic said:
Character balance for race is not something we worry about. We assume you're playing as Sonic in race. For match and CTF we actually worry about the balance between the characters.
Then why not make it default to have Sonic forced in circuit? A console variable could be used to allow others.

Because we assume you're smart enough to realize that the character with a move that makes you go stupidly fast would be the best choice for a race gametype ^_~

Kaysakado said:
Autosaver said:
Or...We can make all characters use thok. I seem to think its useless to use Tails/Knuckles in those maps. Whats the point of being them if your going to lose no matter how hard you try?
Hmm, what character should I use for race mode? Let's look at my choices:

Sonic: Fast, has thok.
Tails: Slow, has thok.
Knuckles: Medium, has thok.

WELL OBVIOUSLY TAILS IS THE MOST MOBILE

I meant that everyone has the same abilitys and stats. The only difference is what character you are. :p

Then why not make it default to have Sonic forced in circuit? A console variable could be used to allow others.
Force skin. Easy as pie

I repeat, consistency.

How the characters play should NOT change depending on what the gametype is.

MattW_CFI said:
I repeat, consistency.

How the characters play should NOT change depending on what the gametype is.

I like my idea. :(
Anyways maybe the circuit races should be designed to take advantage of one characters ability?

Mystic said:
Because we assume you're smart enough to realize that the character with a move that makes you go stupidly fast would be the best choice for a race gametype ^_~
If you assume that, you haven't been paying attention to the amount of stupidity in the community. :<

Autosaver said:
Force skin. Easy as pie
I was asking why it wasn't the default.

Kaysakado said:
Mystic said:
If you assume that, you haven't been paying attention to the amount of stupidity in the community. :<

This is just a shot in the dark here, but maybe people play as characters other than Sonic because they enjoy playing as that character.

WAD master said:
You guys know what Thokfests are, right? It makes races based on mouse speed, hand steadiness, and internet speed. Not good variables for a race. It also makes them terribly boring and, eh, not fun.

Well, why not add a delay to Thoks? Like, maybe one and a half seconds between each Thok, instead of one jump. Count one and a half seconds. See how slow that is? This will force the players to use their Thoks at the best moments during the race instead of Thokking every time they jump. It would make the race more about cutting corners and running and jumping with skill, and will make the Speed Thok more of an auxiliary skill that Sonic can use every now and then.

I know what you're thinking: This would probably cause problems in Singleplayer mode. Yeah, well, make it not apply in Singleplayer mode. Maybe it can be just for race.

That's true? Impossible! No, no and no! SRB2 was made for fun and not for compite. All games have special ability limit, why not SRB2?

We're not changing the thok, and we're not adding a cooldown other than once per jump. The multi-thok was nerfed long ago.

You guys seem to act like there's no skill in thokfests. Thokking at the right time in the jump, around corners perfectly, and without stopping the motion takes a lot of timing and skill. Even the much-maligned Sonic Circuit requires a lot of skill to complete _quickly_ because you want to thok on the inside corner of the turn without hitting the wall.

Mystic said:
We're not changing the thok, and we're not adding a cooldown other than once per jump. The multi-thok was nerfed long ago.

You guys seem to act like there's no skill in thokfests. Thokking at the right time in the jump, around corners perfectly, and without stopping the motion takes a lot of timing and skill. Even the much-maligned Sonic Circuit requires a lot of skill to complete _quickly_ because you want to thok on the inside corner of the turn without hitting the wall.

What I don't understand is how that's considered the worst Circuit. Quicksand Ruins is most certainly worse, being all completely open and such.

Quicksand Ruins also has skill. If you note, there are many columns along the path. The OPTIMAL path is actually between those columns and the wall, which while quite hard to do flawlessly, especially in the quicksand area, WILL give you a better time if you pull it off.

I just think more circuit levels should change to give Knuckles and Tails more chances. Sure Quicksand ruins gives T/K a chance, but do you honestly think they can win? Circuit should not have abilities changed just for it's gametype. The levels just need to give even chances to each character. I don't see why not.
And there could even be Tails and Knuckles Circuits.

Mystic said:
Obviously, if you're making custom stages it's entirely possible to make a stage where Tails or Knuckles are the best choice, but in the official rotation there aren't any of those.

What about Heaven Pass Zone? People has to be a total EXPERT to at least reach me when I use Knuckles in Heaven Pass. It´s funny how some people forceskin to Sonic in that Zone and not in others.

Back into topic, the easiest way to stop thokfests is to slow down the thok and add a different sprite after thoking, just like in SRB2JTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back