• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

A Couple of Editing Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) How do I add my own music? Never really figured it out...

2.) How do I change the character select pages to the character wads I want them to be?

3.) How do I make cinematics (cut-scenes)?

I two of those are complicated to do (or at least I think), but I'm willing to be pacient and learn. Once I have these answeres solved, I should be done asking questions about Editing.

For 1, you need to convert your music into OGG or MP3. I suggest using VUPlayer for that. (At least OGG.) Seccond, you need to use a WAD editor like XWE or DeepSea or Wintex, and insert your music like this:

O_MAP01M if you want it to be music for the first slot,
O_MAP02M for seccond slot
O_MAP12M for 12th slot, etc.

You need to set the 'slot' numbers in your map header.

I don't know about char select screens much, and I don't know what you meant in that last one...

hotdog003 said:
For 1, you need to convert your music into OGG or MP3. I suggest using VUPlayer for that. (At least OGG.) Seccond, you need to use a WAD editor like XWE or DeepSea or Wintex, and insert your music like this:

O_MAP01M if you want it to be music for the first slot,
O_MAP02M for seccond slot
O_MAP12M for 12th slot, etc.

You need to set the 'slot' numbers in your map header.

I don't know about char select screens much, and I don't know what you meant in that last one...

thanks that helps. And...why is it no one has heard of the word Cinematics...or it might be my spelling fo the word. Curse my spelling abilitys. anyways, I mean Cut-Scenes, movies.

SOC Editing is an adventure in itself. Or something.
Also, you can add midi music the same way as Ogg/Mp3 music, except use D_MAP01M or whatever. Keep in mind, the midi music will only be played if there is no Ogg/Mp3 in that slot or if the player disables Ogg/Mp3 music.

You can use something like XWE. It's just an entry in a WAD file named "MAINCFG". One of the best ways to learn SOC Editing is by watching someone else's work. You might try to check this topic.

Yeah... SOC edits are just plain text, but they're hard to understand and require in-game lists to be able to do anything. SSNTails is working on an editor to make it easier or something. That sucks.

That's mostly because it's a file format that was designed to be edited with a GUI; namely, DeHackEd v3.0 and up (which likely won't work with SRB2, so don't bother). That one actually gives you the lists and the flags which you can edit or turn on and off for fun.

Speaking of that, I actually got around to making a DEH file today... really basic one, just makes EVERY enemy's HP all the way down to one, meaning you can gib all the lesser enemies with a normal pistol shot. Heh, shame there's no WAD with sprites of the bigger enemies being gibbed (or if they're gibbed in their normal death, then a less bloody death to override that), since then I could gib EVERYTHING... :)

Maybe I should get to making flying enemies, just for kicks.

And from what I can gather, JTE thinks it sucks that people are making SOC editing easier, since the fact he does it with a text editor (which was NOT how it was meant to be done, not that we have much choice right now) gives him some kind of superiority complex. But, if he's happy with that, then that's fine by me. I just want the GUI thing when it comes out, whenever that is.

Shadow Hog said:
JTE thinks it sucks that people are making SOC editing easier, since the fact he does it with a text editor (which was NOT how it was meant to be done, not that we have much choice right now) gives him some kind of superiority complex. But, if he's happy with that, then that's fine by me. I just want the GUI thing when it comes out, whenever that is.
Exactly. Why should anyone else have it easy? If I wanted a GUI SOC Editing Tool, I could make my own using the same tools Blaze used to make his SA-SRB2 launcher. Funny how we're skilled in all the same areas... I wonder if I should make a savegame editor and stuff, though, since I have become so skilled with the binary editing function... SPMoves Secrets data might be especially fun to edit.

Why should anyone else have it easy?
Because it's based on a format which came from a GUI in the first place? So it's been altered somewhat so that that original GUI won't work well with it. That's easy enough to fix.

You know, MOST people like to have easier methods of doing things.

Jason the Echidna said:
Shadow Hog said:
JTE thinks it sucks that people are making SOC editing easier, since the fact he does it with a text editor (which was NOT how it was meant to be done, not that we have much choice right now) gives him some kind of superiority complex. But, if he's happy with that, then that's fine by me. I just want the GUI thing when it comes out, whenever that is.
Exactly. Why should anyone else have it easy? If I wanted a GUI SOC Editing Tool, I could make my own using the same tools Blaze used to make his SA-SRB2 launcher. Funny how we're skilled in all the same areas... I wonder if I should make a savegame editor and stuff, though, since I have become so skilled with the binary editing function... SPMoves Secrets data might be especially fun to edit.

Because it's not supposed to be hard. I learned how to WAD without a tutorial and learned pretty much everything from trial and error, and henceforth made a ton of mistakes, that took ages to clear out. Do I want other people to learn that way? No, it's an insane amount of work.

Same with SOC editing. I do a little bit of SOC editing, but I certainly would love to have a GUI, it would make my life a lot easier. Just because you did it the hard way doesn't mean everyone else has to, as well.

Mystic said:
I learned how to WAD without a tutorial and learned pretty much everything from trial and error, and henceforth made a ton of mistakes, that took ages to clear out. Do I want other people to learn that way? No, it's an insane amount of work.
I learned that way. An insane amount of work makes my wads special. I don't want everyone else to simply and easily outdo me when I have put forth so much work and effort thus far by myself. It's like I learned to walk with no legs, but you give these people fast robotic legs just to make my work worthless.

Jason the Echidna said:
Mystic said:
I learned how to WAD without a tutorial and learned pretty much everything from trial and error, and henceforth made a ton of mistakes, that took ages to clear out. Do I want other people to learn that way? No, it's an insane amount of work.
I learned that way. An insane amount of work makes my wads special. I don't want everyone else to simply and easily outdo me when I have put forth so much work and effort thus far by myself. It's like I learned to walk with no legs, but you give these people fast robotic legs just to make my work worthless.
Good design is infinitely better than any amount of work you spent. If your design was good, then those kids with their cool tutorials and SOC editing GUIs still can't beat you if it's good to begin with. If it was utter garbage, of course they're going to beat you out. It'll just happen faster if they are better equipped.

The only way you can keep ahead of the curve is if you keep doing things that are cool and interesting, as well as just doing very quality work. I would be absolutely thrilled if someone created a single player pack of levels that outdoes Mystic Realm, because that means I'd get the privilege of playing it. Being the top dog means nothing to me, I just want to see quality new stuff. If I'm taken off the top because of it, then that means I guess I'd better get to work to try and compete if I want to keep my throne. A competition to see who could create the best content would be totally win-win for everyone, because that means everyone would get to play cool new stuff.

If being the number one person is your goal in life, you are completely doomed to failure, and I don't see why you're here if your goal is to get to the top. It's almost impossible to get there, and when someone does, no one can stay there, no matter who they are. However, if your goal is to make cool stuff so everyone can enjoy it, no matter what happens, you're a winner. Stop worrying about the new people coming in with better tools, because you've got both those tools and experience, something that no newbie will ever have when they start. Experience is more important than any tool, tutorial, or gimmick, because experience is what makes good content possible.

So my suggestion is that you stop whining like some old person walking 6 miles in the snow, and start actually creating better content. You'll get a lot more respect from everyone if you do.

Mystic said:
Good design is infinitely better than any amount of work you spent. If your design was good, then those kids with their cool tutorials and SOC editing GUIs still can't beat you if it's good to begin with. If it was utter garbage, of course they're going to beat you out. It'll just happen faster if they are better equipped.

The only way you can keep ahead of the curve is if you keep doing things that are cool and interesting, as well as just doing very quality work. I would be absolutely thrilled if someone created a single player pack of levels that outdoes Mystic Realm, because that means I'd get the privilege of playing it. Being the top dog means nothing to me, I just want to see quality new stuff. If I'm taken off the top because of it, then that means I guess I'd better get to work to try and compete if I want to keep my throne. A competition to see who could create the best content would be totally win-win for everyone, because that means everyone would get to play cool new stuff.

If being the number one person is your goal in life, you are completely doomed to failure, and I don't see why you're here if your goal is to get to the top. It's almost impossible to get there, and when someone does, no one can stay there, no matter who they are. However, if your goal is to make cool stuff so everyone can enjoy it, no matter what happens, you're a winner. Stop worrying about the new people coming in with better tools, because you've got both those tools and experience, something that no newbie will ever have when they start. Experience is more important than any tool, tutorial, or gimmick, because experience is what makes good content possible.
I've had good design. Everyone (even you, Mystic) ignored that, remember? Then I made SPMoves with flashyness and stupid ideas that noone else wanted to bother with. And everyone loved it. I kept ahead of the curve by doing everything new before anyone else. I made map scripts, SOC edits, linedef executors, etc. before anyone else had a chance. That lasted less then a month and then was gone as Blaze released SA-SRB2, which everyone found to be better because of the cool little texture replacements and crap. I don't want to be the president, I want to be number 2: The vice gets most of the goods with much less work. My goal has always been to make cool stuff, yes, but noone sees the true beauty of my work most of the time. When they do, I am sure to listen.

Jason the Echidna said:
An insane amount of work makes my wads special. I don't want everyone else to simply and easily outdo me when I have put forth so much work and effort thus far by myself.
Here's what you do: Use that experience. Write the SOC editor. Write the tutorial. Help make it easier for other people.

Otherwise, not only is your work wasted, but so is everyone else's who has to do the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back