3D Game Maker-Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizuko

right, I've looked up the http://www.thegamecreators.com/ and I've seen the promo for it(which seemed kinda corny). Is this really something to bother with? I'd love to make a game and all, but the few times I've found one, it was trial, and the provider wanted like $50 or more for it. I just wanna make sure I don't buy a box of dog cr@p. x.x

Uh, why is this in Editing Help?

You're lucky kid, I actually have some insight on this.

If you're looking for something involving no coding whatsoever, where you can just choose what you want at will, look no further. If you are looking for an in-depth peice of hardware, that will satify anybody and everybody, look someplace else, like Dark Basic.

Around 4-5 years ago, I actually bought The 3D Game Maker. It was marvelous for it's time, as I was running on Win 2000 at the time. However, the 3D game maker does not function on WinXP, which is a major problem.

My last major point about the 3D game maker, is that each and every type of game within it, involves some sort of shooter. Regardless if it's a driving game, to an action-adventure, to whatever - it requires a shooter aspect.

Is it worth your money? Well, yes and no. Depends on how much you're willing to put into it.

EDIT: Second Opinion, if you'd be willing to read a bit:
http://archive.gamespy.com/reviews/october01/gamemaker/

The 3D Game Maker is basically just an engine built around DarkBASIC Classic, which uses a sort of wizard screen to make selections. It's also very glitchy. I tried a 3DGM game once, and it wouldn't render the level, only the objects.

If you want any real freedom, it'd be a good idea to try a product like DarkBASIC Pro - that is, if your computer meets the system requirements. It's a bit glitchy here and there, but it runs on BASIC syntax, which makes things a bit easier to learn, and you get access to some pretty nice DirectX 9 graphical effects, many of which are made in the community. You can do things such as bloom/HDR, shadows, bump/parallax mapping, water reflections, and so on.

Perhaps one of the biggest challenges of making a game in DBPro is creating a sort of game engine using the language. While DBPro handles things such as graphics and input, you are still left to program the game logic yourself. Fortunately, there are many tutorials out there that can help you, as well as a multitude of plugins for things such as raycasting collision and physics.

There's a topic on the board... I believe it's called "My First DarkBASIC Game", or something along those lines. It teaches you how to make a very basic 3D Pong game, using just a small amount of code. I suggest that you start with that, and gradually work upward. Start with very simple game concepts or minigames first, until you get the hang of the language. After that, you're welcome to try your hand at larger projects. Just don't try to claim you're making an MMORPG. For many years, new users have tried to start MMORPG projects and have ultimately failed. Please, don't be like them, and try to be realistic with your goals and expectations.

I was thinking of making a small MMORPG on a sprite based engine myself...the only thing keeping me from trying is lack of a decent server to use it with.

JJames19119 said:
I was thinking of making a small MMORPG on a sprite based engine myself...the only thing keeping me from trying is lack of a decent server to use it with.

That was pretty much where I'm aimin with my interest in game creation systems. Dark basic I've heard of, and I suppose it'd be worth a shot.
I also ran across a site with a listing of such http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html
mentions a number of engines so with that all in mind I'll just avoid 3d game creator for now(got plenty of shooters round the house if not too many x.x)

I honestly don't knnow why I'm mentining this, but I have an engine called Torque for 3D game designing and it includes everything. i have yet to install it so if anyone knows anything about it, lemme know so I might use it or not.

(yeah, I probally shoulda made a new topic of this, but I wasn't sure if I should...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back