2021 Round 1 votes

GrayAngel

Apologies, as work kept me very busy this week, so I'm unable to include as detailed a review for each level as I usually would. Also, thank you all for the hard work that went into these levels that I am about to tear into. lol

1. Hollow Hill Zone by Othius, Inazuma, & Spectorious - Should it come as any surprise that the level with three people working on it turned out to be my favorite? lol. Well, I know group projects don't always come together, but it paid off this time. There's a lot to love about this one. You even have have a Sonic Adventure 1 styled Tails section. I did get lost during it, though. I'm not sure if I made it to the end, or if they lost track of those green hoops. Also, the emblem where you have to jump up the water pillar to get to is a bit of a pain. Not because of what you have go through to get it, but because of the wait on the way down. Took forever. This is one level you have to try with each character. I love it.

2. Zaxel's Thunder Yard by Zaxel - As soon as I recognized your style in this level, I was looking forward to it. Very nice, big level. The electric...things that raise you up when you pass them are cool, although maybe a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't take me high enough, and I'm not sure why. I wish your enemies would make a little more noise to alert the player of their presence. Why is there a fake level exit? That's a bit mean. Also, those mines that hurl themselves at you if you have a Thunder or Magnetic Shield? Come on, dude...

3. Teal Tundra Zone by SunCyclone - A nice and pleasant level. I appreciate the hidden emblems. Wish it was a little easier to get out of the ice sometimes.

4. Abyss Caverns Zone by yyeellooww7 - A solid level. I just don't like it when levels spell out for you which direction you're supposed to go with a big red arrow. Better than getting lost, though, so it is what it is. I like how the level changes biomes in the middle, when it changes to an ice cave. Feels a little bit short.

5. Mercury Mine Zone by Rexeljet - Interesting aesthetic, and the mercury with the ring drain was a creative idea. I don't think the Tails emblem is set correctly, though, because I can't collect it. I can see through it like I've already got it.

6. Falcon Emissary Zone by InferNOr - Very creative level design, but the traps are so annoying. Being hard isn't necessarily a weakness, but I went through with Super Sonic the first time and still died constantly. Knuckles' path was particularly confusing. I figured it out eventually by trial and error, but that was made even more difficult by the bees harassing me. Seriously, I hate those bee robots, but at least you didn't have an out-of-reach Hive Elemental constantly spawning them. The emblems are hidden well. I tried to collect them all, but some of them continue to elude me. I appreciate a level that rewards exploration.

7. Koopa Kastle Zone by Glaber - Why is the lava a death pit? In Mario games, it always does damage, but it doesn't kill you. Of course, if you're playing with anyone other than Knuckles, you'd be stuck down there, but still. I like the hidden Mario Maker 2 level. I'll save that code for later (WVM-LKQ-W4G).

8. Ante-Station Zone by Twins'R'Okay - Very creative, and I don't see a lot of 2D levels like this. I don't really understand why it has to be played in Software, though. In either case, I can tell a lot of work went into this level. However, the platforms moving in and out of reach make the 2D perspective feel like a hinderance, which definitely takes away some of the fun of it.

9. Music Mash Zone by WasifBoomz - I know you explained why the music is so quiet, but is there really no workaround? I wish you had done more with the music theme. I like the hidden remixes of your previous levels. The water/goop puzzle was more clear this time around, which was definitely helped by your forced camera angles that pointed out what changes were made. There's a weird bug with your level, and I don't know what's triggering it. But if I take routes through your remixed stages, the game thinks I'm pushing those statues, even though I'm nowhere near them, and it tries to force me into a certain direction. If I leave and come back, the whole game bugs out, and I have to close it and restart. I really hope you don't get last place again, because as I've said before, you do have a unique style that I enjoy.

10. Lava Temple by Vixuzen - I got stuck in this level and basically had to ride around with Tails to cheat. It just isn't always clear what is expected of me as a player. Definitely affected my enjoyment of the level. I do appreciate the custom assets used in the level, though.

11. Ridge Rapids Zone by particle -
Lack-of-climbable-walls.png

Actually, it seems kinda random which walls I can or can't climb on. I was able to climb into Amy's exclusive path near the beginning, but could get back out. There is a pillar with walls that stand out, clearly marking them as climbable, but they don't lead anywhere. Also, I find platforming over death pits with a Hive Elemental harassing me to be very unpleasant. That little climbable wall near the beginning is kind of made obsolete by the steps to the platform on the other end. At least make the steps too high for Sonic to get to, then the back end could be for Amy/Fang.

12. Blizzard Bastion Zone by PhilJFou - Aesthetically, this level is a LOT of gray. It's not fun to look at. I really don't like the platforming over a death pit thing, and there are a lot of flying enemies around to make that experience even less fun. I don't know why this is a theme in so many levels. Although many complain about them, I appreciate a good maze. However, I went through and pressed all of the buttons, and I don't know where the door is that opened.

13. Fort Sunset Zone by DylanDude - This level feels like its made for a different mode than SP. It kind of confused me.

14. Bombastic Beach Zone by Shapeshifter Boi - Lovely level. Too bad it's over in two seconds. lol

15. Drenched Dam Zone by Voidy2246 - Points for making a VS Metal Sonic race level, but all the invisible walls make this level frustrating, and there's no clear direction of where to go.

16. Emerald Glade Zone by DoodlesYT - Kind of a boring, empty level. Doesn't have much going on. I do wish we'd see more emerald hunting levels like this, however.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back