The Kart Circuit Construction Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

sims

i would rather not
Welcome to the Kart Circuit Construction Contest (KCCC). This contest was created in response to the amount of interest in a contest for Kart mapping.

The Current Deadline is May 31st, 2012 at 7:00 P.M EST. Late entries will not be accepted!

Rules

1. All levels must work correctly with whatever release of SRB2Kart is out when the deadline hits.
  2. Previously released content is disqualified. If your level has been released on the forums either in editing or releases, it is ineligible.
  3. The map must be completely your work. Ports will not be accepted, neither will slight modifications of other levels.
  4. You may only enter one map into the contest. If you wish to drop a previously entered map in favor of a new one, please state so in your email.
  5. Custom textures, sounds, SOCs, etc. are prohibited. Your map will not be accepted if it requires additional lumps.
  6. Custom music is allowed under the following conditions:

• It must be .ogg or .midi. If you include a .mp3 file in your WAD, I will personally fire you into the sun.
  • There may only be 1 music file.
  • It must be under 3mb in size.
How to Enter

To enter, send an email with your wad in a .zip as an attachment to kccc_submit@rocketmail.com. In your email, please title it "Kart Circuit Construction Contest Entry" (or just "KCCC Entry"). In your body, please include your forums username somewhere so you can be easily identified. Your entry may not be accepted if you do not provide a username. If you send multiple versions of the same map, the latest one you send will be used. I will send you an email back regarding whether or not the map has been accepted.

Voting Guidelines (March 2012)
The maps featured are:

• Darkvile Gardens by Simsmagic
  • Big Blue II by ah2190
  • Rainbow Route by roy
  • Evergreen Loop by I'll Begin
  • Shy Guy Circuit by Sp47
  • Canyon Rush by Mr Chezz
  • Rainbow Road by kyllian1212

Voting procedures are identical to the OLDC rules. Here's a refresher just in case, though:

1. Vote using a 0-10 rating system with no decimals and 5 being average.
  2. You cannot vote on your own map, but if you vote on every other map then the lowest vote on your map will be dropped.
  3. You must vote on every map if your votes are to be counted.
  4. Comments are optional, but are recommended.
  5. If your vote is radically different from the general consensus, you may be asked to explain your reasoning.
  6. You are required to play each map online with other people for your vote to count.
Votes are due on April 14th, 2012 at 7:00 PM EDT. Votes after this deadline will not be counted.

With that out of the way, here are the links!
Download Maps
Download Music

Last edited:
...Wasn't either D00D or ZarroTsu going to make the contest?

Well, as long as you got permission from them, I might enter...

All levels must work correctly with whatever release of SRB2Kart is out when the deadline hits.

Well, seeing as I always am willing to tinker with my tracks to improve them, this shouldn't be a problem. However...

Previously released content is disqualified. If your level has been released on the forums either in editing or releases, it is ineligible.

Well, there goes Nitro Starway, seeing as it was included in a pack just under 24 hours before this contest started... unless Sims allows me to submit it by itself. Besides, I only added it to show that the pack won't be just all ports. And, speaking of ports...

Ports will not be accepted, neither will slight modifications of other levels.

And there goes FZX/N64 Rainbow Road, seeing as that's somewhat a port in itself. Not that I was planning to submit that one, though.

You may only enter one map into the contest. If you wish to drop a previously entered map in favor of a new one, please state so in your email.

Just like in the OLDC, where you can only enter one map per catergory per contest. I'm cool with that - besides, I was only planning to make one track to submit to here.

Custom textures, sounds, SOCs, etc. are prohibited. Your map will not be accepted if it requires additional lumps.

So, this means you are limited to the textures and that which are in SRB2Kart. Well, I'm cool with that.

Custom music is allowed under the following conditions:
  • It must be .ogg or .midi. If you include a .mp3 file in your WAD, I will personally fire you into the sun.
Well, seeing as I use .ogg in my F-Zero pack, that's no problem for me. And, after trimming it so that it can loop, all that music does come in at under 3mb in size, so that's fine by me.

Why would he need permission to do this? I mean, he probably has, but it's not like the two have a copyright to the idea or anything.

Well, there goes Nitro Starway, seeing as it was included in a pack just under 24 hours before this contest started... unless Sims allows me to submit it by itself. Besides, I only added it to show that the pack won't be just all ports.
Released is released.

6. Custom music is allowed under the following conditions:
What about music modules (ie: .IT/.XM/.S3M/.MOD)? They're generally smaller than OGGs, yet can produce excellent sound (as anyone who's played most of Epic Software's library (up to Unreal Tournament) can tell you - I mean, listen to this). SRB2 supports them as well.

Wait, SRB2 supports tracker music files? That's an interesting piece of information, to me.

And yes, I'll be participating in this contest, with my yet to be named map. I'm debating on whether I should be so audacious as to name it Rainbow Road or not...

Last edited:
...Wasn't either D00D or ZarroTsu going to make the contest?

Zarro couldn't care less about this, and D00D64 helped write the OP and set up the submissions email. It's fine.

What about music modules (ie: .IT/.XM/.S3M/.MOD)? They're generally smaller than OGGs, yet can produce excellent sound (as anyone who's played most of Epic Software's library (up to Unreal Tournament) can tell you - I mean, listen to this). SRB2 supports them as well.

As much as I'd like to start a discussion on the merits of different audio filetypes, I'd rather keep it simple and stick with OGG and MIDI. Otherwise people are going to ask whether they can do all sorts of such and such and there'd be more debating over what you can put in a map rather than actual mapping.

Because I'm a big fan of Mario Kart Wii, I think I could like making races in Mario Kart style, if my SRB2Kart would work... But your contest, which has a special thing (the contest is based on a modification of SRB2, and not the original SRB2), appears suddently, which give me a bunch of questions.

Is it like the traditionnal and real contest, the official one ? Who judge ? What are the prices ?
...and that's all. Not too much questions, actually. But I'm just wondering about "it is a big or small contest".

Last edited:
I'll probably participate, and the map I plan to submit is about half done (But, knowing me, I'll more than probably find the first part totally horrible and remake it, but heh). Too bad you can't include SOCs though, I already have some custom decoration objects done...

Because I'm a big fan of Mario Kart Wii, I think I could like making races in Mario Kart style, if my SRB2Kart would work... But your contest, which has a special thing (the contest is based on a modification of SRB2, and not the original SRB2), appears suddently, which give me a bunch of questions.

Is it like the traditionnal and real contest, the official one ? Who judge ? What are the prices ?
...and that's all. Not too much questions, actually. But I'm just wondering about "it is a big or small contest".
I'll write up all of the details once the voting period is closer, but the procedure is very close to the OLDC.

As for the prizes (I assume that's what you mean), we're currently looking at the the winner and possibly high-rated runner-ups being placed in the vanilla rotation. If this doesn't work out, then there definitely will be a "Best Of" pack (Participants may, of course, opt out of inclusion, if they so wish).

Why will we get fired into the sun if I use .mp3 files?
If its about .mp3 files being over than 3mb, I understand. Even though I have used .mp3 files lower than 3mb in some of my wads.

Last edited:
Why will we get fired into the sun if I use .mp3 files?
If its about .mp3 files being over than 3mb, I understand. Even though I have used .mp3 files lower than 3mb in some of my wads.
Because .mp3s have terrible compression and unnecessarily bloat up the file size while you can convert to .ogg and gain a much smaller file with virtually no quality loss. As a test, I took a random .mp3 from my music folder which is 8.84mb. I then converted it using Audacity to .ogg with a quality setting of 1. The resulting song sounds nearly the same and I managed to drop the file size to just 2mb.

Well, I've submitted the first full version of my map now. I'll most likely tweak it before the contest ends, and will most likely wait until after the contest before implementing it as part of my F-Zero pack - but it's not a port or anything. BB2 is my first map where there's an underwater section (or two) to race in.

I am tempted to enter this and port something from CTR. The level? I'm not quite sure which one just yet.*shot*

Nah I may just enter some hybrid of multiple themes...

EDIT: Not from CTR though.

Also, to make my life easier and to get a quicker response to you, I'd really appreciate it if you posted in this thread if you submit a map. You're not required to, but it lets me know to check the inbox that much sooner.

Just updated BB2 so that it takes advantage of the recent update to SRB2Kart.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about this... now I can't really be bothered finishing my map, but at least the layout is there so i could fix the textures and post it as-is

Just asking, are we allowed to publish a map into the contest,and,when the contest ends, publish it for submissions?

(NOTE:Posted using 3DS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back