Why Doom Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 1998, there was only one other engine at the time. STJR decided to choose this one.

I thought other engines like this were available at the time.

1.jpg

That's GZDOOM by the way.

But SRB2 is still pretty good

DashFox, why are you complaining, again? Starting from GZDoom means no FOF support. At all. Besides, SRB2 already has linedef executors which is way better than scripting. If you still need convincing, I point you to SocEdit.

Not to mention that Sonic has always been more gameplay than graphics. Quit complaining. :(

I wasn't really trying to complain about the engine, nor was I saying that we should switch to GZDoom. I was just asking why we went with Doom Legacy, now I know that there weren't many other Doom engines to choose from at the time. I'm totally fine with SRB2's engine. (:

Edit: "CRAPPYRFLECTIONS" is actually something in the SVN's source, I was saying anything bad about srb2.

BlueZero4 said:
Sonic has always been more gameplay than graphics.

Not at first, lets not forget running through our first loops in 2.5D graphics. But I think Mario was more gameplay than graphics at the time. I believe they have both thrown in the towel on graphics though...

SSNTails made Sonic Doom 2 which was a Doom mod, and after teaming up with Sonikku he took it to make SRB2 as we know today.

Anyways, the problem with real 3D engines back then wasn't if they were editable enough or not, the problem was speed. Hardware acceleration was uncommon back then and 3D games run extremely slow. C'mon, I remember Carmageddon 2 sometimes dropping under 1 FPS in my old Pentium I x_X

Sik said:
BlueZero4 said:
Not to mention that Sonic has always been more gameplay than graphics. Quit complaining. :(
Tell that to Sega :)

Thank you. I would like to copy paste "Thank you" several times, but it would be spam. Anyway, Sega is indeed being an idiot. I thought this once: Why don't they make a 3D engine that's just as easy to map in as SRB2? Level designers have much more time to put good gameplay in the levels. Ha. They could even sacrifice slopes and loops if they so need to. Sonic never was about those two gimmicks.

They also should probably hire some different level designers, because they do not know how to properly make 3D maps. I would love them to hire one of ours, but that just isn't going to happen. Still, look at this: The best mappers of our community far exceed the quality of the mappers of Sega. We make maps in our spare time that are better than Sega's. It's kind of sad, really, but it's the truth.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
They could even sacrifice slopes and loops if they so need to. Sonic never was about those two gimmicks.
It was actually. But here comes an interesting point: in the old games, they were used to avoid breaking the flow (having to stop in order to start running the other direction breaks the flow). SRB2 lacks them, but got around it easily with the extra direction. If you have to turn the other way around, you can do an U-turn without having to stop. That way SRB2 manages to not break the flow even without slopes and loops. Sega could have done the same even with the poor engine of Sonic Adventure, and it would have worked. But they didn't :/

Anyways, the thing about the level designers is quite complex. See, most of the bad stuff in there has not to do with them. For example, the prescripted loops with movie-like cameras were an idea of the lead game designers to "show how fast Sonic is". A lot of the bad stuff were due to marketing ideas. Obviously, the result is a total failure, because marketing rarely matches properly with creativity. And that's how we have all those bad games :(

IIRC, at the time GZDoom didn't exist, and ZDoom lacked FoF support? If so, then I'll add that I'd rather have FoFs than slopes. Besides, a pseudo-slope can be made using steps anyway.

And an engine switch right now would be stupid. 10 years of work on this engine, all gone. End up back at step 1.

SRB2 is based in Sonic Doom 2. Sonic Doom 2 is based on Boom. Boom is based on Doom 2. FOFs didn't exist until they were coded in SRB2. I think the first time FOFs appeared was in the halloween demo, where the water appeared for the first time. And the rendering code was buggy (the water always rendered over the sprites).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back