New King of the hill Gametype! K_FloralCanyon.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

WR 102
(I Was unsure of where to put this, but here I go!)
Yes! It's true, I have managed to make a little "King of the hill" gametype for Srb2! With lots of help from Srb2-playah of course.

Basically, King of the hill is what it sounds like. Get to the top of the hill, and your score increases rapidly.

This wad also affects the players in a way. If you get hit, you will be sent flying backward.

Beta screenshot:
srb20002fl1.png

(You can see the special lighting effects that playah did)

Download:
http://www.flaminghedgehog.php0h.com/Srb2/Maps/K_FloralCanyon.wad
(HOST IN MATCH FOR BEST RESULTS)

Belive it or not, this Wad took about one day to make. It wasn't until now that I uploaded it though, due to numerous bugs having to be fixed.

ENJOY!

EDIT: By the way, We would appriciate it if people would make some KotH levels! So this gametype can become a smash hit.

Probably tons of lighting FOFs. Really neat effect. It's like the pit is actually a pit instead of a floor with a black texture. :(
I've yet to try this in a netgame, but I'm guessing the rings knock players back farther? King of the Hill sounds pretty interesting.

Linedef action 47 - Light Block (From ceiling to bottom of level)
A whole bunch of them stacked one after the other.
I'm also responsable for the graphic for that flag you find atop the mountain. Though, that's just an edited CTF flag.

The level was rather a rather quick slap-together to go with Flame's KotH SOC. Though I don't think it turned out too horribly.

I can think of some levels for KotH game type but I couldn't make them work. Flame when I finish one should I send it to you?

It's very cool, I had a lot of fun with this. There's just one thing to note though: If you're killed while on the hill, your points still go up. I hope that it's fixed for the next release.

Wow, Flame, you and Playah have been one of the few to actually grab my attention and want me to play this in a netgame! I'll have a go at it ASAP.

I've updated the wad with the following:

I had some complaints about how the ring doesn't send you back far enough, so I fixed that. (And made it throw you back father, Muah haha)

And while I was editing this map, I managed to fix the bug that Delta reported.

Enjoy!
The link is in the first post of this topic.

EDIT:
The link got updated once again. Playah finished the Map layout and I updated the SOC (To be a little evil).
Go download again.

Flame, If I wanted to make a map for the king of the hill gametype how would I go about making it work right? I have some Ideas for maps, but if I can not make them work I wont waste time and effort on them.

Uh, there are some floating flowers and scenery icons nearby one of the lower platforms.

Neat idea. This works _far_ better than the crappy little thing HD03 and I made years ago.

Heh, I hope that this "King of the hill" gametype would be accepted as an official game mode, or something.

Next:
shadowysonic said:
Flame, If I wanted to make a map for the king of the hill gametype how would I go about making it work right? I have some Ideas for maps, but if I can not make them work I wont waste time and effort on them.

(Prepare for a long, in-depth speech)
Well, you need to make your map and the Top of your mountain.
Include a linedef executor (Trigger repeatedly) and a Linedef executor (Award score), Don't forget to make this sector have a floor height of 1 and a ceiling height of 2... Tag both of these linedefs to another control sector (Make a new sector outside the map now if you havent already) in which, would have a linedef of an invisible, intangible FOF (linedef number 58 if my memory is correct)... Tag this invisible, intangible FOF to the top of your mountain, Make the ceiling height of this FOF to the Ceiling height that the top of the mountain has, and Make the floor height the same as the mountains general floor height. Also, Make the invisible FOF have a sector type: Linedef executor, trigger anywhere in sector (Number 974 If my memory is correct)

Or you can just look off the Map that me and playah worked on and see how the scoring works yourself.

Oh, Don't forget to use the SOC's that were used in this map. For the Flag and all...

BlueZero4 said:
Hmm, is the intangible FOF required?

No, it's not required, but it fixes the bug that Delta reported earlier.

"When you die, your score keeps on rising"

It's because when a Sector uses a Linedef Executor, it reads the whole sector and what's under it (Like objects that have fallen through the floor or something like that).

It's a way Srb2 reads things.

Playah deserves much grats for such a lovely execution.

Well, except for that mostly-suicide silver ring box on that pitty-little pilliar in the middle of a death pit. Except that it respawns randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back