Stuff missing/incompatible in 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sik

Cue said:
Tag is being replaced anyways...
Probably by ring mode.
OK, there're a lot of stuff that will be removed from SRB2, so before we keep insisting, can somebody tell me the full list of things that won't make it to 1.1? Yes, I know, this is probably spoiler somewhat, but seeing how most people don't care about mentioning them, here I go.

Stuff I know is gonna be removed or become incompatible:
  • All types (sector, linedefs, etc.) will have different numbers
  • SOCs will be completely different (not in syntax but abilities)
  • Shields will be changed (basic, elemental, attraction, armageddon)
  • Homing ring will be removed (as well as another weapon I can't remember right now)
  • Palette will be changed
  • Characters will have a different frame set
  • What I quoted first :P (tag mode)
OK, what more should be added to that list? :/

Wait, what's this about Tag being removed? Blasphemous! I was just starting to enjoy it with the fixes that make it playable.

I quoted it from the suggestions topic. Maybe it's because nobody plays tag? Or better say, make it more known? Because most match maps are both match and tag maps.

EDIT: also, what does STJr have that they replace stuff always instead of adding it? What, why can't they go and modify the limits, dammit? :/

Yes, through there'll be a converter so that isn't really an issue. But there won't be a converter for SOCs. Shame. I may make one :/ SSNTails suggested me to use tables from files to make addition of new features easier.

Not sure where the whole idea of replacing tag came from...

Dunno if that's the whole list of 'different things', but you hit a fair amount of them. Generally speaking, 1.1 throws any 'bad' backward compatibility out the window and starts fresh. This allows things to be faster, much more streamlined and not a huge bloated backwards compatible beast like Vista.

If that was the whole list of things, I wouldn't have made this topic :P
SSNTails said:
This allows things to be faster, much more streamlined and not a huge bloated backwards compatible beast like Vista.
You know most of the backwards compatibility issues have to do with stuff that took advantage of bugs or even read the stack of the kernel itself? (yes, it seems a lot of programs did that)
Sik said:
EDIT: also, what does STJr have that they replace stuff always instead of adding it? What, why can't they go and modify the limits, dammit? :/
Which reminds me, why do you have to always limit yourself to only 15 player colors? :/

Because I don't feel like putting the work in to allow more colors. It's really kinda pointless with the palette.

One thing I was possibly thinking of allowing though, is for skins to each have their own set of 15 colors.

The latter one seems OK to me, if I'm not happy I'm going to use my own colors :P

Having only 15 colors isn't really a problem - 15 is a lot. But the colors you choose aren't the best, really :/ In fact black isn't in the list, and it's a common color, and a lot of people may want to use it. There's where the problem is really. Use a different color list with more common colors and it'll be OK.

SSNTails said:
One thing I was possibly thinking of allowing though, is for skins to each have their own set of 15 colors.

Elaborate, what do you mean each skin has thier own colours?

Chrome the hedgehog said:
SSNTails said:

Elaborate, what do you mean each skin has thier own colours?

Code:
COLOR1=WHATEVER RED IS
COLOR1NAME=RED
COLOR2=...

Just let's hope this doesn't get abused by n00bs by making horrible color combinations :P

If I remember correctly, SSNTails made a converter thing to see if your levels were compatible with 1.1 and if it wasnt it converted it, it's either in editing somewhere, or got deleted, and black used to be in SRB2 but Mystic didn't like it because he was looseing because the people who were using black were using there brains to get the advantage =P

Sik said:
Having only 15 colors isn't really a problem - 15 is a lot. But the colors you choose aren't the best, really :/ In fact black isn't in the list, and it's a common color, and a lot of people may want to use it. There's where the problem is really. Use a different color list with more common colors and it'll be OK.

We had black in 1.09.2, it was removed during the 1.09.3.x era due to people using it to "ninja" their way through darker match maps, and have an unfair advantage.

No it's not an unfair advantage, it's using your head, Im guessing using a grey knuckles on thunder cathedral (sp?) is ninja?
it's not unfair, it's using your head =P

Sik said:
Cue said:
Tag is being replaced anyways...
Probably by ring mode.
OK, there're a lot of stuff that will be removed from SRB2, so before we keep insisting, can somebody tell me the full list of things that won't make it to 1.1? Yes, I know, this is probably spoiler somewhat, but seeing how most people don't care about mentioning them, here I go.

Stuff I know is gonna be removed or become incompatible:
  • All types (sector, linedefs, etc.) will have different numbers
  • SOCs will be completely different (not in syntax but abilities)
  • Shields will be changed (basic, elemental, attraction, armageddon)
  • Homing ring will be removed (as well as another weapon I can't remember right now)
  • Palette will be changed
  • Characters will have a different frame set
  • What I quoted first :P (tag mode)
OK, what more should be added to that list? :/

What the...??? I don't get the one about characters haveing a different frame set.
Also, I thought only the Homing ring was to be removed, not any others that I know of.
Also, is Tag really going to be replaced??
As for the SOCs one, I didn't think it would be any different, except for all the new things, states, actions and other stuff for 1.1...
Not all the shields are getting changed! The only ones are the Whirlwind Shield, with the ability to boost you into the air even when you walk off an edge, in midair; The Liquid Shield and Fire Shield, which are basically merged together to become the old Elemental Shield that used to be in SRB2, while still having the Fire Shield's fire trail; and the Attraction Shield, which doesn't protect you from electric hazards anymore. And there isn't a basic shield, Sik. There is the new Force shield, with protection for 2 hits rather than 1 though, as well as making missiles bounce off it (I think...). So basically, there's still 5 shields, yet they aren't going all to be the same ones.

Only the points about the Sector/Linedef effects having different numbers and the new pallete are spot on.

I thought the shields were going to be like the original ones. Except for the slime shield, which was later removed (the green shield was water shield back then and it didn't protect you from slime, unlike it does now). If I'm not wrong, the original shields were:
  • Blue: basic
  • Green: water (elemental when slime shield was removed)
  • Purple: slime
  • Yellow: attraction (not electric)
  • Black: armageddon
Anyways, about the force shield, wouldn't it be sorta kind of overpowered to have a shield that can hold up for two hits?

It's the only Sonic game (official and fan) ever in which I've seen there being a shield that can survive for two hits >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back