How would you rate the official levels? - Part TWO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't understand what Glaber means by his most recent comment, so I'll just move on to the factory with good taste in music.

Techno Hill Zone Act 1: 7/10
Plenty of ways to go about this level, plus there are some nice secrets and a good challenge for Sonic.

Techno Hill Zone Act 2: 5/10
I've never liked Detons. Never have. Nev3r will. However, there is lots of neat stuff if you look around in the slime. Also, button hunting is at least better than 1.09.4's CEZ2.

Techno Hill Zone, Act 3: 5/10
Another boss battle. I wonder if you can change how the Egg Slimer moves...

Bonus level are up!

SRB1 remake 5/10 : Very linear, slow and a bit boring, I only now play it online

Mario Koopa Blast (something like that) 8/10: Very good, Sonic is in mario World with Mario sounds! The only thing is a little short.

Sonic into dream 7/10 : good, but i'm having hard time controlling sonic in this level

NAGZ 9/10 : Since I haven't discovered SRB2 till June 2009 I could't really had time to play Mystic Realm mod. But anyway this is an amazing level and very challenging but its extremely long and huge (25 minutes about mabye because i get lost all the time). I still haven't complete this level with sonic due to heavy platforming challenges but 1 time i'll be able too if I practice more.

Hide & Seek Maps (aka Match maps, but rated for how well they stand up in H&S):

Jade Valley (9/10)
Lots of interesting places to hide on this map, especially if the Hiders work together. Although most of the places are well-known, good players can still find places to hide.

Noxious Factory (8/10)
Like Jade Valley, lots of places to hide, especially will all of the metal around. Main limitation is the lack of places to hide inside, and the toxic water still damaging Hiders, preventing a lot of players from hiding somewhere that will be difficult (but not impossible) for the Seeker.

Tidal Palace (3/10)
There are almost no places to hide here, and most of the places are already well-known. Good for Match, but not for H&S.

Thunder Citadel (7/10)
The old Classic from 1.09.4 returns, with a slight retool. The tower is basically useless, but the additions to the outside of the castle itself can make for effective hiding spots. Needs more underwater places, though, and more places inside.

Desolate Twilight (6/10)
As much as I hated this level in 1.09.4, the Weapon retool has helped it tremendously. For H&S, it can be hard to hide, especially with the Sand still being a deathtrap, but cleaver positioning of tumbleweeds can help this, as well as the shadows helping to hide dark-coloured characters.

Infernal Cavern (2/10)
Infernal Annoyance more like it. This map sucks for Match because of the limited maneuvering, and sucks for Hide & Seek because of the lack of good hiding spots, partly due to the lava still hurting Hiders. Can still be effective, if the Seeker is newish and doesn't have enough time to check under every bridge.

Sapphire Falls (7/10)
Ah, the calm waterfall, silent cliffs, and beautiful lake. The enhanced GFZ textures are a good sight, and effective for hiding behind. The shadows under the bridges can also help, as well as the river itself. The Sniper Cliff is even better, being so tall and wide that a player may not be able to see someone hiding against it unless they comb the entire thing, which can waste time if nobody's there.

Meadow Match (0/10)
There a no places to hide here, at all. Absolutely sucks for H&S, and is abysmal as a Match map if there are more than 5 people playing. I know it's been around since 1.09.4 or before, but it needs either a MASSIVE landscape retool, or dropped completely.

Also: Needs moar Ice level (and possibly cowbell). And whatever happened to Zim's Base and Starlit Warehouse? Those would've been AWESOME for Hide & Seek.

Well, I'd like to bump this thread to get more comments in it, and I might as well vote on them myself now that enough time has passed.

Greenflower Zone Act 1 - 5/10
Really solid intro level, and nothing more. I still love the useless area with the house and Sonic's emblem. One of my favorite experiences early on playing SRB2 was figuring out I could get up there as Sonic.

Greenflower Zone Act 2 - 10/10
I'm probably going to get a few looks for this, but this was and still is one of the few near-perfect SRB2 stages. This level has so much to do and see, with a simple main path and TONS of secrets everywhere. It took me months to find everything there is to see in this level, despite how relatively small it is compared to the other stages in the game.

Greenflower Zone Act 3 - 5/10
Basic first boss. Serves its purpose and nothing more.

Techno Hill Zone Act 1 - 4/10
This level has always been solid but it never really clicked for me. It feels so linear and personally I find it slightly more boring than GFZ1 because there's less to do. That being said it's not a BAD act. Just not nearly up to the quality of the rest of the game.

Techno Hill Zone Act 2 - 6/10
Starting the levels with actual challenge is this little level. I don't like how little there is to do in this level, as the alternate paths are so much slower than the main path so they're never used. Some of the secrets in this level are quite clever, though. I still really like the tunnel with the slime that leads to the second emerald token.

Techno Hill Zone Act 3 - 9/10
While the level is kinda cheap, this boss is excellent. Simple concept with a few basic rules that's just really interesting and interactive once it starts moving.

Deep Sea Zone Act 1 - 7/10
My main complaint in this stage is how the framerate just dies sometimes. I really like the Knuckles path and emblem, and some rooms just move a bit slow, especially the second room on the lower path, with the moving platforms. I do really like the usage of floating blocks to crush the player and end up as platforms used throughout the level.

Deep Sea Zone Act 2 - 8/10
The first of the really truly large stages in 2.0, this level is just huge. I love the block room and the water slides. I'm a huge fan of the constantly changing platform mechanics and the fear of being crushed without actually resorting to "crushers". I also like seeing some of the old DSZ work I did actually end up in the final product, but that's just me. =P

Deep Sea Zone Act 3 - 7/10
I really like the mechanics here, but the boss just takes too long.

Castle Eggman Zone Act 1 - 4/10
I like some of the content we've got here, but it just feels so empty through most of the stage, with long areas, huge jumps over areas with no detail, and sections that don't have alternate paths at all.

Castle Eggman Zone Act 2 - 3/10
Ugh. Some really awesome ideas here let down by ugly rooms with horrid framerate and bad production values. Hopefully we can fix this level so the awesome ideas get a chance to actually shine through.

Arid Canyon Zone Act 1 - 9/10
Another stage that goes by the GFZ2 school of exploration, there is SO much to do and see in this stage. The level is absolutely massive and there are tons of little hidden things to find. The main problems I have with it are a few uninteresting sections, especially the end. Fortunately the rest of the stage is so awesome that this is ignorable for the most part.

Red Volcano Zone Act 1 - 6/10
This level really feels dated. With the exception of the new lava wave bit at the end, the zone is just simplistic and boils down to jumping on collapsing platforms over lava. We really need to add some new gimmicks into here.

Eggrock Zone Act 1 - 8/10
I still remember my jaw dropping on the first beta of this I was sent. The texturing sucked and it was glitchy, but then as now this level just blew my mind. Completely new gimmick after completely new gimmick in a hardcore level that's more like Scrap Brain than a 3D Sonic has ever done before. The main problems are a few completely uninteresting gimmicks and the final room being totally cheap. It could also use some expansion considering how much larger ERZ2 is by comparison.

Eggrock Zone Act 2 - 10/10
While I have a few nitpicks in places, this level is just so massive and completely awesome that those nitpicks are just irrelevant in the big picture. This is what the final level of a Sonic game SHOULD be. Huge, epic, and challenging.

Eggrock Zone Act 3 - 8/10
This boss is pretty sweet, although it'll be better once there is something to tell the player how to beat it in a previous stage. I still really like the mechanics of having the missile fly back at the boss, as the controls in that feel so natural it's kinda unbelievable.

Jade Valley Zone - 9/10
I've really grown on this map a lot. Just big enough to hold lots of players and enough rooms to block line of sight, but still be small enough to always be able to find your opponent and make sure the items are all in relatively easy reach. I also really like how the vertical variation makes the level play differently as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

Noxious Factory Zone - 6/10
Well, this map is insanely intense, but it's lacking in a few areas. For one, the outside area needs some dramatic work to make it look less ugly, and it always degenerates into a spamfest inside. The SRM is really hard to reach in any kind of lag, and it's generally better to just spam weapons instead of trying to get an advantage with the items.

Tidal Palace Zone - 8/10
I really like this level. The changing water level makes the stage have a weird dynamic to it that no other stage has, essentially creating two stages that alternate every 45 seconds. The changing tides make for completely different strategy than a normal stage, and there is nothing more satisfying than knocking someone off an air bubble to grab it yourself, and then watch them drown helplessly.

Thunder Citadel Zone - 8/10
I'm quite happy with the revamp on the outside, except for that damn tower. I still can't figure out what to do with that. Otherwise, this is a great level with lots of depth. To everyone who plays with me and doesn't seem to realize that you can get like 60 rings in the stream, it's your loss. I really like the small alcoves everywhere despite how simple the level design really is.

Desolate Twilight Zone - 8/10
Another solid map that plays differently from the rest of the rotation, this map is just so wide-open that it leads to very different combat than the other maps. Rail is epic here and the lack of rings makes Auto a dangerous proposition. The battles for the SRM are frequently awesome in the only confined area of the stage.

Infernal Cavern Zone - 7/10
I know I seem to be in the minority here, but I really like this map. Here's a hint for those that seem to hate it: Stop thokking to get away from people and start doing it more methodically. Thokking without thinking here will lead to you getting hit. So much of this level is dangerous and cramped while never actually restricting the player's view of their surroundings. I do want to get those stupid flame jets fixed so you can actually see where they come from, though. It's quite annoying even to me.

Sapphire Falls Zone - 7/10
I'm really happy this turned out as well as it did. I was quite concerned that this level was too symmetrical even after breaking it, but it looks like we got it right. Personally I find this level a bit too small but it works great in smaller games.

Meadow Match Zone - 6/10
Har. I originally ported this as mostly a joke and we ended up having enough fun on it to put it in. This isn't really a great map but it's fun anyways, especially in smaller games. Railing people off the springs is still some of the best fun to be had in SRB2 multiplayer.

Lime Forest Zone - 6/10
This map really shows its age, with its cramped bases and linear design. The new visuals help a lot, and the team rings make it tolerable, but the level is still really small. It works great in smaller games, though.

Cloud Palace Zone - 7/10
I still really love the bases on this map. Something about trying to camp the springs up to the flag being hard but possible is enjoyable to me. I also really like the midfield to this map being completely straight in the center while still having plenty of alternate routes to get to the other side.

Silver Cascade Zone - 8/10
Team rings are the best thing ever to happen to this map. Defense is a viable option here and I love this fact to death. Quicker ways to get to the other side also really help, as in 1.09.4 it took too long since you always had to take the water path.

Icicle Falls Zone - 6/10
Brutally quick and lethal, this level is great fun, if completely impossible to defend in. Hopefully the bases can be redesigned a bit to allow the defending team to have SOME chance.

Twisted Terminal Zone - 6/10
I love the design of this level, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired. The main thing is that the bases are impossible to defend and a tad too large. The central passage is completely awesome, though, especially thanks to the reverse gravity.

Nimbus Ruins Zone - 7/10
I know people hate this stage, you don't have to keep telling me. The thing is, I also know a lot of people really like it, and I'm in that camp. While it's pretty much impossible to live for more than a minute in this level, the design makes it more about running the flag than anything else, and a successful run back to your own base is almost assured to be a capture. There is also a sick part of me that just loves to rail people into oblivion.

I just recently noticed that SSN has this thing where he draws out the same flat sector for a while and it really just irritates me because I'm a Knuckles player and it just means more time running at sub-par speeds. It's even in ERZ1 and it really turns me off of SSN's maps.

ok guys, my voting, part TWO!

(note: This is based off of the match betas from #srb2fun, this only affected JVZ through TCZ, though)

Jade Valley Zone - 7/10
Tails dogfights are epic. You know where. The rest of the level is kind of bland tbh.

Noxious Factory Zone - 8/10
I still want that mine ammo to stay a speed shoes monitor, so I can grab it and go **** some **** up outside. The laser gauntlet is pretty flow-breaking, but that's acceptable. The rest of the level is pretty fun because of the interesting strategies available to you.

Tidal Palace Zone - 0/10
Mystic's drowned me too many times for me to like this.

Thunder Citadel Zone - 8/10
I love how you have to go out of your way or into a dangerous area to get weapon ring panels, but then ammo is easily found. Also, Tails has some nice strategies here, even without the updates in the beta. It's just that the updates in the beta allow him to not suck in between strategies.

Desolate Twilight Zone - 7/10
This plays rather differently from the rest. No rings, no ammo, you're going to be relying on your red rings a lot. Tails and Knuckles aren't very good here, though.

Infernal Cavern Zone - 9/10
Hey, you there, who keeps getting hurt. Stop sucking.

Sapphire Falls Zone - 6/10
The back part of the level doesn't get enough use, imo. The front near the SRM gets really crowded in larger games.

Meadow Match Zone - 10/10
**** yeah, sonic deathmatch.

Lime Forest Zone - 8/10
I haven't really had a large match here yet, but the games I have played have been fairly fun. Either go through the main path and take risks, or take the slow path and likely make it back safe. The basic concept of most CTF maps (in other games, too) takes a much stronger role here.

Cloud Palace Zone - 10/10
I love this map for a bunch of reasons. The first is that you can quickly move between bases on the low middle path, but you can get more goodies and less enemies on the side paths. The other is how you need to spring up to the base, which gives you some really interesting strategies.

Silver Cascade Zone - 8/10
Not much to say here.

Icicle Falls Zone - 9/10
Really intense and quick-paced, which I love. The music doesn't fit that, though.

Twisted Terminal Zone - 0/10
spazzo

Nimbus Ruins Zone - 8/10
see icz

Time to get some points in here. The levels are nice I suppose. I haven't played them all, but I've seen alot of screenshots, and a few youtube clips of other levels too. I think that the levels are pretty decent designwise but they have some problems in their designs. Let me explain:

Graphicwise the game rocks, but the limited variation gets the game very boring. Now I hate to saw a game with such potentials as SRB2 has by the feets, but somebody's gotta give some constructive critics, and that person is me! :)

The lighting of the Green Flower Zone leveis (I've played at least) is quite akward to say the least. You've got all daytime sectors lit to 200 while the indoor sectors are lit to around 120. There is a distinct end between them, so distinct that this can only be seen on a planet with no atmosphere. With the atmosphere the level would have a gradual diminish of the light from day to dusk. Ever seen the gradualy dimmed light when going indoors from a bright day to a unlit room? Have you tried to add less light in the shadows of where the sun is supposed to be shaded? We're talking alot of sectors and calculations, but that will make the levels much more playable. Stick a shield in the shadows where the player usualy won't look first. That increses the games replay value ever so little.

Then we have the issue of textures. Now I'm gonna be rock hard in my judgement, but the textures of GFZ is totally inadequate. First of all: The dull orange brownish checkerboard is way overused. I'd definitly like to see at least 10-20 different variations to get started, optimally around 60-80 variations of them to give the game a more living feeling. Same goes with the grass texture. You got flowers standing that brings the game a bit more to life, but that's about it.

And more: Skyboxes makes the levels more spacious. Instead of having the clouded sky as the limit of the level you could for instance create an ocean with 4 islands surrounding the current level. This way you would get a feeling where you are in the game. Since no map is available (ashame for me as a doom player) this would make the game progress much clearer.

Last but not least, some advices to make your levels a bit more creative:

1. Start with building a sector say 128 below the ground, make it so it doesn't emit any sound when raising it, put an enemy in it, then as the player crosses a line / picks up a shield the sector is activated and the enemy sees the player. Very convincing for ghost levels

2. Create an elevator below the ground, put a nail trap on it, and set it to automatic raise and lower. Sonic 2 nail traps created just like that.

3. Sloped floors / ceilings can be created with Doom in Hexen (zdoom / gzdoom) by applying a linedef 181 and setting the proper parameters.

4. Enemies created with DECORATE can have it's pain chance decresed to make the enemy harder to kill (zdoom)

5. Nothing beats stealth enemies. Create a fastmoving grenade launching foe stelth and you'll have a hard time locating him.

6. Finally a console trick: summonfriend <enemy> creates an enemy as your friend and will collab with you until the level is completed. (zdoom)

7. Create a blocking line inside the outer sector line, and set the linedef to translucent (set the proper value). Set a metalic texture. Now create a sector between the outer and the inner. Set the line to mirror, and make this translucent too. This way you have the mirror reflecting the inner texture with the outter texture which gives a metalic feel.

And now the ratings of the levels:

Green Flower Zone act 1: 5/10
Green Flower Zone act 2: 2/10

GFZ1 - 6/10
Ok, so we all know this one was intended to be this short, but come on, really? It's just too short.
GFZ2 - 7/10
Short, again, but better than GFZ1.
THZ1 - 5/10
Short and sweet level. Went down 2 grades for changing the position of the Knux and Tails emblems.
THZ2 - 8/10
This one went up a grade for removing the Crawla Commanda from the opening area. And for moving the deactivate the turret button.
DSZ1 - 7/10
Interesting and longer than I expected, but with the downside of having a purposeful cheat exit.
DSZ2 - 9/10
Liked this level because it had more to offer than I expected at first. I didn't even know there was a waterslide until I played a netgame and F12'd someone that went that way. My impression of it went up even farther when I looked at it in Doom Builder(the bustable cubes room(I was speechless when I first saw that(wonder how long it took to make that))).
CEZ1 - 6/10
Ok, yeah, this one's kinda weird in my opinion. Don't really like the wide open spaces in it. And the music doesn't really fit anymore.
CEZ2 - 4/10
Ok, first time I played this I got lost in the sort of secret area up high with Tails. But once I figured it out I got through it in about 1 minute.
ACZ1 - 10/10
I hated this one until I found the exit. Keep up the good work! I'm hoping for more of the same in ACZ2!
RVZ1 - 8/10
Ok, this level was awesome! Love the music(even though it's the shortest tune in the game), though this level only had one or two instances of multiple paths. I couldn't find the elemental shield in here, either.
ERZ1 - 7/10
I can only beat this level with Tails, so my opinion was kinda low.
ERZ2 - 9/10
I just recently beat this level(sort of; I had god mode and noclip on), and I like how the end comes full circle to end up at the beginning.

Last edited:
The lighting of the Green Flower Zone leveis (I've played at least) is quite akward to say the least. You've got all daytime sectors lit to 200 while the indoor sectors are lit to around 120. There is a distinct end between them, so distinct that this can only be seen on a planet with no atmosphere. With the atmosphere the level would have a gradual diminish of the light from day to dusk. Ever seen the gradualy dimmed light when going indoors from a bright day to a unlit room? Have you tried to add less light in the shadows of where the sun is supposed to be shaded? We're talking alot of sectors and calculations, but that will make the levels much more playable. Stick a shield in the shadows where the player usualy won't look first. That increses the games replay value ever so little.
I have to ask. Have you played classic Sonic? It was full of exactly what you describe. It may not be realistic, but the bright coloration with near full brightness is actually intentional. We also have very clear shadow lines with the intent to make it easier to judge where the floating platform is in 3D space. This is a common thing in many platformers. It's not realistic but does make judging distance easier.

Then we have the issue of textures. Now I'm gonna be rock hard in my judgement, but the textures of GFZ is totally inadequate. First of all: The dull orange brownish checkerboard is way overused. I'd definitly like to see at least 10-20 different variations to get started, optimally around 60-80 variations of them to give the game a more living feeling. Same goes with the grass texture. You got flowers standing that brings the game a bit more to life, but that's about it.
Again, this is exactly how classic Sonic looks. I'll also note that Greenflower was made around 1999-2000, so it's going to look dated

And more: Skyboxes makes the levels more spacious. Instead of having the clouded sky as the limit of the level you could for instance create an ocean with 4 islands surrounding the current level. This way you would get a feeling where you are in the game. Since no map is available (ashame for me as a doom player) this would make the game progress much clearer.
Uh, our engine doesn't HAVE skyboxes.

1. Start with building a sector say 128 below the ground, make it so it doesn't emit any sound when raising it, put an enemy in it, then as the player crosses a line / picks up a shield the sector is activated and the enemy sees the player. Very convincing for ghost levels
We don't have line triggers either. The collision detection isn't good enough in Doom to detect crossing a linedef.

2. Create an elevator below the ground, put a nail trap on it, and set it to automatic raise and lower. Sonic 2 nail traps created just like that.
Moving spikes are already possible, we just haven't done it yet =P

3. Sloped floors / ceilings can be created with Doom in Hexen (zdoom / gzdoom) by applying a linedef 181 and setting the proper parameters.
This is not ZDoom or Hexen. We don't have slopes in the engine at all.

4. Enemies created with DECORATE can have it's pain chance decresed to make the enemy harder to kill (zdoom)
Again, this is not ZDoom, we can't do that. Instead, the later levels have different enemies with different weaknesses, like classic Sonic. The enemies in the first level are easy to kill on purpose.

5. Nothing beats stealth enemies. Create a fastmoving grenade launching foe stelth and you'll have a hard time locating him.
Maybe in Doom this could be a good idea, but in a platformer it would just be insanely annoying. Besides, if you can't find the enemy in SRB2 you're more likely to just go fast and ignore it because circle-strafing around projectiles is trivially easy.

6. Finally a console trick: summonfriend <enemy> creates an enemy as your friend and will collab with you until the level is completed. (zdoom)
Again, this is not ZDoom. If you want a companion, try playing in multiplayer. Bots are not adequate for navigating the stages and would feel insanely stupid.

7. Create a blocking line inside the outer sector line, and set the linedef to translucent (set the proper value). Set a metalic texture. Now create a sector between the outer and the inner. Set the line to mirror, and make this translucent too. This way you have the mirror reflecting the inner texture with the outter texture which gives a metalic feel.
We don't have support for this either. It could be hacked in but considering the size of the levels it's not a good idea to introduce more complexity to the level architecture for nothing but visual effects.

Trying to apply Doom level design principles to a 3D platformer just doesn't really work. This game is based on running and jumping on platforms; Doom is based on going through corridors and shooting monsters with ranged weapons. They're basically polar opposites.

Play against Mystic in Tidal Palace, and then tell me that if he drowns you, you suck.
Well, there is a fine art to preventing yourself from drowning and making it more possible to torment people by making them drown.

* The tides alternate every 45 seconds. The drowning timer starts after 19 seconds, and you drown at 30 seconds. This means if you grab air after the drowning timer starts, you should not need to grab air again for that high tide. Note that the tide takes a bit to rise and fall so if you spend the entire time on the bottom floor it's more like 50 seconds. If you think you're going to cut it close, trying to go to an upper floor will make it more likely for you to make it through. A little knowledge of the timer goes a long way towards not drowning.
* Prioritize air more than shooting your enemies. If they hit you they get 50 points, but if you drown you LOSE 50 points, which hurts you a lot. Whenever I see air and there isn't a player nearby I attempt to grab it, because I never know when someone will attack me.
* There are actually two locations where Sonic can get out of the water unassisted by the Whirlwind Shield. The obvious location is the 3rd floor of the main room, but you can climb on the gargoyles near the SRM and get out of the water as well, should you be in a position to use that.
* It's generally not a good idea to stand directly on the air when you're in combat. If you need air, stand away from the bubble a little bit and thok/run to the air right after it appears. This prevents people from just shooting you while you're standing still.
* Remember that if you grab air, even if you don't need it, this means that someone ELSE can't grab that bubble. The drawback is that you're quite vulnerable to being hit while grabbing air. This doesn't work if you have the Elemental Shield, of course.
* Finally, be aggressive when going for the air if you need it. Explosion and Scatter work great on people who are standing on the bubbles so you can take them for yourself. Stationary targets are basically impossible to miss, and people waiting for air are frequently sitting ducks. There is not much more satisfying than launching someone from the air bubble when you're about to drown and grabbing the air for yourself, watching your opponent helplessly drown.

Part of what makes me love Tidal Palace is that such a simple mechanic, the tides, makes the level play completely differently than the rest of the stages and creates that wall of strategy text above. I wish I could come up with ideas like that more often X_X

Well, I've only played up to THZ2, and then only partway, but here's my ratings for those levels:

GHZ1 - A nice map to start off with. Although I must say, the final starpost is very close to the end. But, apart from that, it earns a solid 7/10

GHZ2 - So many secret areas here! I don't think I've found them all just yet, but just trying to find all the secret areas here will keep one ocpupied for a good ammount of time. 8/10

GHZ3 - Simple boss. To be honest, I like XSRB2 better when it comes to this Act, mainly because it shows how many hits Eggman has left before he is defeated. But, still, a solid 6/10

THZ1 - Man, it's true what they say - the further you go, the harder it gets. Toxic water, new foes, and a few secrets... this earns a 8/10

THZ2 - I can't say much for this Act, as I've not completed it on Single Player, but at least the emeny at the start is no longer there!

THZ3 - Played this on Co-op, and I enjoyed the scrolling background. But, if you know what to do, the boss is easy. 7/10

DSZ1-ERZ2 - Never have played these levels.

ERZ3 - Got forced into having to do this during a Co-op session. And, I must say - ERZ3 + Co-op = Loads of deaths. The single Ring never respawns for the other players!

SRB1 Bonus - Well, I've never played the origanal SRB1, but this gives me a feel as to what it was like. Shame that the boss rooms don't work... yet.

Sonic Into Dreams - This is a great NIGHTS level! (Although BS from 1.09.4 still trumps this level) 8/10

Mario - Never played these levels.

NAGZ - You know, this is a nice bonus. And, it means that there really isn't a need to port MR into SRB2 V2.0, as the best, yet hardest Zone in there, (in my opinion) is already there, all in one Act!

Still to come: Match, CTF, and Race

Twisted Terminal Zone - 6/10
I love the design of this level, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired. The main thing is that the bases are impossible to defend and a tad too large. The central passage is completely awesome, though, especially thanks to the reverse gravity.
I'm inclined to disagree with the bolded part. The grenade rings are placed just downstairs, and that alone makes it possible to stall an enemy from taking the flag. Granted, it's still not easy, especially against a skilled player, but it's better than trying to defend in Icicle Falls.

I'd tend to disagree because of the grenade mechanics. Sure, you can hit them once with them (and you basically always will), but the problem is they can just sit there and wait out the temporary invincibility period and you can't put down another grenade since it'll explode in proximity to them if they're still standing there.

Other CTF stages frequently have choke points or other base mechanics that make the flag defendable. Twisted Terminal doesn't have that.

But it's so easy to hit an immobile target that if you just spam red rings at the opponent, then you're basically whittling their rings away while you have your supply inside. Soon, they're forced to go out and get more, which in turn allows you to place another grenade.

Also, I thought grenades don't activate near flashing players. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

But it's so easy to hit an immobile target that if you just spam red rings at the opponent, then you're basically whittling their rings away while you have your supply inside. Soon, they're forced to go out and get more, which in turn allows you to place another grenade.

Also, I thought grenades don't activate near flashing players. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
I'm confused, whats the immobile target? Also, lack of rings doesn't stop one from rushing to the flag, only one is necessary.
Also, you are mistaken, invulnerable players do activate grenades. Maybe making them have a small knockback may help, I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back