Need a Program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowen

I am in need of a program that can convert .rm video files into either .avi or .wmv that is free. I found some programs that do that but, they put words pasted on the screen of whatever you convert, does anyone know of any programs?

RM is a propietary format, which means that Real Media owns all the rights to it. And, they don't want their codec in third-party unlicenced software. You won't find an RM>AVI converter, and even if you do, then it'll be illegal.

Another reason Real and it's crappy player should be knocked off the face of the internet.

Real Player needs to vanish off the face of the internet. They were good in 1998. It's been a long damn time since then.

The problem is that Sonic Stadium have some videos in its FTP in RM format. I think that this topic was created specifically for that reason. It's the only site that I saw with those files.

They used to be the only option, Sik. Back early on in the internet, Real Player was light years ahead of the other video players. However, Microsoft took back the market with a vastly improved Windows Media Player, one of the few Microsoft products I actually consider good. Real Player has never been the same since, and pretty much disappeared. However, there are still a few holdouts that haven't realized that Real Player is the devil, and files that are so old that they still use Real Player's format because that is what was actually used at the time.

For those cases, I suggest Real Player Alternative for viewing it. I don't think there is any way to actually take the file out of an RM format short of running it through a VCR and recording it back with a VCC, though, so if you wanna edit it, you're pretty much out of luck. Try e-mailing the webmaster and request that he replace the old files with a better file type.

Mystic said:
They used to be the only option, Sik. Back early on in the internet, Real Player was light years ahead of the other video players. However, Microsoft took back the market with a vastly improved Windows Media Player, one of the few Microsoft products I actually consider good. Real Player has never been the same since, and pretty much disappeared. However, there are still a few holdouts that haven't realized that Real Player is the devil, and files that are so old that they still use Real Player's format because that is what was actually used at the time.
I think that Nero MediaPlayer is better, actually. There are some videos which gets you wait a lot of time because of filling the buffer (under WMP, obviously :P). The only thing that is bad with NMP for now is that the size of the window isn't mantained :? At least in my version (which is certainly old as an extra, the 5.0 one). QuickTime is good in that way, too, it doesn't wait to fill the buffer. But we're talking about WMP now, are we?

Anyways... The only programs of Microsoft that I can consider good are Microsoft Visual Studio (aka MS Development Enviroment aka again MS Script Editor, this programs has a lot of names, really) and the old MS-DOS editor (hehe, edit.com).

Thanks for the help guys, but dang, I wish I could put those 28 or summod files that I have into a avi format!

Okay. If Real is so terrible, then what, in your opinion, is the best video player out there?

When I say "The best", I DO mean "The best". No matter what the cost, what's the best thing out there?

...So, WMP is the absolute best of the best? That can't be right. I mean, WMP is the reason I downloaded Real in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back