SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Mods

Thokker - Let's play "Kick the Crawla"! Details »»
Thokker - Let's play "Kick the Crawla"!
Version: 1.1.1, by RedEnchilada (happy, pretty, lovely!) RedEnchilada is offline
Developer Last Online: Aug 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (13 votes - 4.62 average)
Released: 02-21-2016 Last Update: Never Installs: 6
Multiplayer Levels Scripts Sprites/Graphics

hoo boy, we should've had this out MONTHS ago

What is it?

Thokker is a new team-based gametype inspired by soccer. Kick a variety of balls through a variety of maps, and try to be the first to score three goals on your opponents! Character stat tweaks and balances have also been made, so everyone is a viable team player.

What kind of balances?

I'm glad you asked!

Sonic has a slightly nerfed thok, BUT he's still by far the best offensive player for moving the ball around due to his sheer speed.

Tails makes a good goalie, because his flight creates gusts of wind that push the ball away from him.

Knuckles is a defensive wall, thanks to his ability to bowl over other players by gliding into them. (Balance-wise, his climbing was also sped up)

Maps?

We're shipping with 15 maps, categorized into four sets.

Spoiler: The Vanilla Set

A set of maps based on levels from the SRB2 single player campaign.

Green Cove - The smallest map in the pack. The ledges by the bridges are a great place to shoot a goal from.

Tumbleweed Canyon - An average-sized canyon map. Trenches toward the middle allow for some tricky jukes with the ball. (Fun fact: this was the first Thokker map designed!)

Courtyard Eggman - A wide open courtyard means plenty of room to run. Take it down to the dungeon for some up-close-and-personal action!

Spoiler: The Fanservice Set

A set of maps based on various addon levels.

Danger Forest - A fierce showdown in the streets. The fences strewn about are great to kick the ball around and sneak up on the goal with.

Sonic's Schoolhouse - The only Thokker map with mirrored symmetry in the pack. Try to kick the ball all the way through the goal and make it out the other end!

Glacier Gear - An uphill trek with sticky goop in the middle. The ramps leading up to the goal can be pulled down by standing on a button, forcing the other team to take the long way around.

Spoiler: The Crossover Set

A set of levels inspired by games that aren't SRB2.

Treasure Town - Inspired by Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. The gates for each team open and close on a timer, but you can still kick the ball over with a well-placed spindash!

Claws For Alarm - Inspired by Bubsy 3D. I don't know why VAda made this, but it completes the set.

Big Shell Plant - Inspired by Metal Gear Solid. The largest Thokker map in the pack. Don't kick the ball off the side!*

*you cannot actually kick the ball off the side

Spoiler: The Community Set

A set of levels made by other community members.

Nameless Base - Oh no.

Rocket Run - LEGO of your inhibitions and boot the tire around the racetrack, using the teleports to your advantage!

Ancient Relic - A night-time desert map. This is basically the best map in the game.

Geyser Gush - It's time to get wet.

Slime Station - A simple chemical plant is the perfect place to have a game of... Brakker.

Petroleum Refinery - Fight your way through the industrial park to the challenging aerial goals.

But who made it?

Thokker is brought to you primarily by Team Smiles, composed of the following:

RedEnchilada - Main concept, project head, main EXE development, Lua script development, level design (Green Cove, Tumbleweed Canyon, Treasure Town), slapdash logo
toaster - Project second-in-command, Lua script development, graphics, level design (Danger Forest, Glacier Gear)
chi.miru - Assistant EXE development, level design (Big Shell Plant)
Boinciel - Level design (Courtyard Eggman, Sonic's Schoolhouse)

In addition, the following maps were made by other community members:

VAdaPEGA - Claws For Alarm
Nekoishi - Nameless Base
DrTapeworm - Ancient Relic
Knux576 - Rocket Run, Slime Station
TehRealSalt - Geyser Gush
CoatRack - Petroleum Refinery

Last but not least, a large portion of #srb2fun also helped with testing and provided feedback, and their numbers are too numerous to list here. (read: I forgot who all joined the netgames) This project wouldn't be where it is without them.

Download Now

File Type: zip thokker-v1-1-1.zip (10.90 MB, 1411 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20028.png
Views:	9871
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	7507   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20029.png
Views:	9636
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	7508   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20030.png
Views:	9528
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	7509   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20031.png
Views:	9500
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	7510   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20032.png
Views:	9573
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	7511  

Name:	srb20033.png
Views:	9514
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	7512   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20034.png
Views:	9558
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	7513   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20035.png
Views:	9513
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	7514   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20036.png
Views:	9371
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	7515   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20037.png
Views:	9328
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	7516  

Name:	srb20038.png
Views:	10208
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	7517  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-30-2016   #62
Murilo

I wish this gamemode appears in 2.2.
Murilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #63
MK.exe
aaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
I wish this gamemode appears in 2.2.
You do wish alot of things in 2.2
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016   #64
Mr Chezz
Known as Blitz-T

Oh, this thread got bumped? Good, 'cause I've been meaning to say that I can't believe how long it took me to catch on to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinciel View Post
- If games are frequently stalemating, setting a time limit of ~7 minutes per match tends to keep things rolling.
You sly dog, you.
Old 03-31-2016   #65
MK.exe
aaaaaaaaahahahahaha

That is so true. The pacing of thokker is really slow. The average time it takes to score 3 points is about 15 or so minutes depending on the size of the map of course.

10 minutes is probably enough time for someone to score and some comebacks. Just like a full lengh match game.

EDIT: usually when i host. I put the minutes to 5 or 7 whilst in playing match. It speeds up the pacing. And i get throught most of the vanilla maps

Last edited by MK.exe; 03-31-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Addtional comments
Old 03-31-2016   #66
Murilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK.exe View Post
You do wish alot of things in 2.2
First of all: SLOPES. Slopes are going to be in 2.2. A Sonic game isn't really a "Sonic" game without slopes or anything. That's the only things that remain in SRB2 to be a perfect Sonic action besides loops.
Second: That's fun. But this game needs to be bigger like wich team has more goals, wins. Game ends at 10 minutes (5 for each of the 2 Timers) like First and Second Timer like every other Soccer games.
Murilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #67
MK.exe
aaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Now. Here's a point thats been on my mind for a while now. What came first

Rocket League or

SRB2 Thokker?
Old 03-31-2016   #68
Sapheros
That guy that ports

Thokker came out last month, Rocket League came out in July of 2015. I think we now know what came first.
Old 03-31-2016   #69
Mr Chezz
Known as Blitz-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK.exe View Post
That is so true. The pacing of thokker is really slow. The average time it takes to score 3 points is about 15 or so minutes depending on the size of the map of course.
Nah, the pacing is fine, but like you said, map size does come into play as to how long it may take to score goals. Usually in the small maps, scoring 3 goals within 7 minutes isn't too much of a problem(at least from what I've experienced). The idea of the recommended 7 minute limit is probably to prevent players from staying in one map for too long, should they regularly be in a stalemate position while playing. If the score happens to be even after that time has passed, the match goes into overtime, which makes the match continue for longer(until the next goal wins).

What I was trying to say in my previous post is that there's some subliminal messaging going on here with the "7 minutes". Just take a moment to think about it. =3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Game ends at 10 minutes (5 for each of the 2 Timers) like First and Second Timer like every other Soccer games.
I think this is a cool idea actually; having a first and second half for each match. Of course, it's hard to say whether it's worth the effort to even make that a thing, because it doesn't make that big of a difference and would probably be more of an inconvenience anyway. The thing about one long timer that's more appealing to me is that teams don't get interrupted mid-game from any progress they might've made in guiding the ball towards the opposition's goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duon the Adventurer View Post
Thokker came out last month, Rocket League came out in July of 2015. I think we now know what came first.
True, but I will say that Thokker was in development for quite a long time as well. Even before Rocket League was released, so at the very least, it's probably safe to say that Rocket League didn't have any impact on Thokker during early stages(or even at all. Correct me if I'm wrong though.).
Old 03-31-2016   #70
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Thokker was born out of a custom gametype created during the 2.0 era called "Tumbleweed Soccer". As a combination of a joke and a netgame stress-test for slopes, about a year ago Red created the tumbleweed soccer map now known as Tumbleweed Canyon, and since he was bored and jobless at the time he used some Lua to set up both a rudimentary round system and and some actually-functional goalzones. It turns out a non-flat map and some formal presentation on gametype rules is enough to make tumbleweed soccer actively hold people's interests, so what became Thokker ended up outliving those slope beta tests and started becoming a full gametype unto itself.

We DO have some ideas as to how Thokker matches can be sped up, but that'll have to wait for the next major version of Thokker (coming... some time this summer? Don't hold us to that date.) In the meantime, a 1.1 bugfix/map pack update is probably overdue so once I've gotten this coursework done I'll start poking Red about this.

As for Thokker in 2.2? I think the best thing to say to that would be a post Mystic made a little while back. It's on the radar, but there's enough behind-the-scenes concerns that it's not a priority and I'd be actively susprised if it made it in before 2.2.x (where x is whatever minor version happens around maybe six months after initial release).
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm

Last edited by toaster; 03-31-2016 at 05:34 PM.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #71
MK.exe
aaaaaaaaahahahahaha

'Possibly thokker' there's some news for Murilo.
Old 04-01-2016   #72
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

To entertain those who are wondering: the first Thokker test netgame was May 16, 2015. The concept technically does slightly predate Rocket League's release by a couple of months! Also, it didn't impact us because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the Thokker team who's played it, and that was just one short session two weeks ago

(I had nothing useful to say. Sorry to get you guys' hopes up)

Also, while we'd like to eventually add a default time limit to Thokker rounds, I think it'd need a custom time limit handler first that doesn't count down during kickoff/post-goal time. I'd have to hack a bit more at the EXE to trick the menus into modifying the custom time handler's value instead of the built-in one's, but that's probably totally feasible maybe. (Also maybe I'd limit overtime to a minute or so before just calling the match a draw. I dunno. Probably add a cvar for it or something.)

Last edited by RedEnchilada; 04-01-2016 at 02:34 AM.
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #73
Sapheros
That guy that ports

Quick question: will there be offline mode competitive gameplay available for people with shitty laptops?
Old 04-01-2016   #74
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

...Splitscreen? I guess you could try it. We never actually tested that, oops.
Old 04-01-2016   #75
Mr Chezz
Known as Blitz-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thokker was born out of a custom gametype created during the 2.0 era called "Tumbleweed Soccer". As a combination of a joke and a netgame stress-test for slopes, about a year ago Red created the tumbleweed soccer map now known as Tumbleweed Canyon, and since he was bored and jobless at the time he used some Lua to set up both a rudimentary round system and and some actually-functional goalzones. It turns out a non-flat map and some formal presentation on gametype rules is enough to make tumbleweed soccer actively hold people's interests, so what became Thokker ended up outliving those slope beta tests and started becoming a full gametype unto itself.
Ah, so back then, it was kind of a happy accident that turned out to be more than what was initially expected. I like that. That's pretty cool. Funny how these things just work out, huh? =3
Old 04-01-2016   #76
Xkower8181
btw do not touch the sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnchilada View Post
...Splitscreen? I guess you could try it. We never actually tested that, oops.
So I tested it and it seems to function great.
Only problem that is Player 2 starts in 1st person camera
rest works just fine.
Xkower8181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #77
MK.exe
aaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Default Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnchilada View Post
To entertain those who are wondering: the first Thokker test netgame was May 16, 2015. The concept technically does slightly predate Rocket League's release by a couple of months!
I knew it, thokker came before Rocket League!
Old 04-29-2016   #78
CowboyJoseph64
why does this account exist

I played around with the ball by myself. At first it was annoying. It felt too hard to get up hills, and the ball felt too bouncy to work with. Then I discovered actually thokking at it made it actually go somewhere. Then I actually had a decent amount of fun just trying to get the ball into the goal. You should make single player maps for this, it's surprisingly fun by yourself. The only problem is that the ball IS a bit too bouncy, it can be sent flying at times and then you're waiting for it to come back. Also, the Bubsy 3D map sucks ass. I can't for the life of me figure out how you get the ball into the goal, the cliff is too high. And it's considered medium! Still, I hope it makes it into vanilla SRB2.

Last edited by CowboyJoseph64; 04-29-2016 at 11:18 AM.
CowboyJoseph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #79
Aegix
Generally Friendly

I gave this a spin and it's pretty neat. Pity I've never been able to convince my friends to try SRB2 (despite my best efforts), I think it would be a blast with friends.

It actually took me a few seconds to notice the slopes and start "SQUEEE"ing over them. They fit pretty naturally, and look and feel great, BTW.

Honestly, I think the highlights of this are the different ball types with their slightly different physics (at least, they all feel like they do), although Glacier Gear's "ball spawn" mechanic is super neat (I'd like to see more of this!), and Nameless Base's goals are really fun to score into, as the ball kinda rolls in if you get it into the larger "cup".

...BTW, that music for Nameless Base...It's from Etrian Odyssey, isn't it? I'm POSITIVE that it is, although I can't quite remember from which part of which game it's from, and that really bothers me (It's a game series I truly adore)
Old 05-16-2016   #80
Trolo Bobo
Get "N" or get out!

Wow, I feel so bad for discovering this just now. I missed out on a lot, it seems. The maps are amazing, especially the Bubsy 3D one. Good stuff. This is yet another proof that Team Smiles is probably the best thing to happen to SRB2 since a long time, you guys do some really incredible stuff. Good luck on completing 2.2!
Old 05-21-2016   #81
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

Update. Some community maps were added.