Hurricane Katrina

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are worse things, guys... Do you remember the tsunami and the end of the past year?

Bigboi said:
Over 10,000 people are crammed in the Super Dome! :o
One of my teachers told me they heard part of the Super Dome's roof ripped off..

Mankind needs to either figure out how to make these things not happen or get out of places that have hurricanes.

How do you think we learn how to build these things, Shuffle? You can test in labs all you want, but you won't REALLY know if it worked until it happens in real life.

I saw pictures of the hole...it looks like a nuisance more than anything, since it would let the water inside.

What's really scary is all of the water outside the dome. Check out the news footage of New Orleans and Mobile.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/29/mobile/index.html - This is particularly impressive. An oil platform was detached by the storm and jammed under a major bridge.

Well, I wasn't entirely serious about the fixing disasters thing.. but why live somewhere where stuff like this happens? :/

Because it always happens in the good spots. Floodplains have fertile soil. Waterways provide transportation and drinking water. The ocean provides easy international trade. In terms of economics, New Orleans is at the perfect spot.

However, natural disasters like hurricanes just come with the territory. Similar to how many major cities are in the shadow of gigantic active volcanoes. Volcanic soil is fertile. People tend to build in areas where the short-term gain is high. Whether or not building in such areas is a good idea in the long-term is generally not thought about until it's too late.

We build on the coast because there is a lot of profit to be had. That's why whenever things like this roll through, humanity tends to rebuild on the same spot, even though it's almost guarunteed to happen again. They assess the risk and consider it worth the risk to reap the rewards. Obviously eventually the risk comes back to bite you in the ass.

Some people are also under the mistaken assumption that these sorts of things only happen on the news, to other people.

What would that be? (for the first time, I feel like a little kid here. :oops: )

A certain humorous axiom stating that anything that can possibly go wrong, will go wrong.

Ritz said:
A certain humorous axiom stating that anything that can possibly go wrong, will go wrong.
You forgot "at the worst possible time".

If you guys aren't paying attention to the news, the aftermath is basically utter devastation. I desperately hope that the people down there can get their systems back up and running again, because it appears it will be a long, long time before the area will be back to normal.

It's really sad. On the news, they interviewed someone who lost his wife due to the wind. :cry:

I've been in a hurricane before. And if I lived in the area, I would have gone straight into Katrina herself. I love the thrill of being right in the middle of a raging storm like that. It just gets the adreniline rush going.

SRB2-Playah said:
I must be wierd... 'Cus I'd get in my car and drive to the other side of the USA.
Anyone with any sense with the financial means to do so would as well, SRB2-Playah. I don't personally like risking my life.

One of these days, I'm going to go surf a tornado. Seriously, it'd be the coolest cause of death ever.

You know, aside from eating a tub full of beans.

I'd like to just jump off of the worlds tallest building. It'd be such a rush!

I'm almost half globe south of that place, but It's such a disaster.
I wonder how people come to think the way they want to die.
Like did Maddox.

If I had to pick a way of death, I'd rather die in my sleep.

My worst fear of death is waking up to find myself in a coffin underground. O.O
For the love of god, CREMATE ME when I die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back