Suggestions

I have been wondering this for a while. (This is yet another suggestion for the MB, rather than SRB2). What if we implemented username badges like on the MFGG board? Among other things, it could replace the gold usertitle system for contest winners, which would serve two purposes. First, it would be a permanent record of the person's victory. Second, it would solve the problem of displaying contest victories for staff members, since the new way of displaying contest victories would not interfere with the color of the username itself. Maybe we could also create a badge system for addon authors, too.

I'm not saying that we should go award-crazy and cook up a hundred million different kinds of badges like they do on some boards. That would probably be little more than an inane distraction from the issues we normally discuss. But implementing a modest badge system for things like contest winners or addon releases could be beneficial in that it could reveal the achievements of users to people who are new to the site.

This has probably been suggested many times before, but why doesn't SRB2 have spindash charging frames for characters? Every single Sonic game with spindash I know of has them, and even Sonic Xtreme would have had them...

...but why doesn't SRB2 have them?

I have been wondering this for a while. (This is yet another suggestion for the MB, rather than SRB2). What if we implemented username badges like on the MFGG board? Among other things, it could replace the gold usertitle system for contest winners, which would serve two purposes. First, it would be a permanent record of the person's victory. Second, it would solve the problem of displaying contest victories for staff members, since the new way of displaying contest victories would not interfere with the color of the username itself. Maybe we could also create a badge system for addon authors, too.

I'm not saying that we should go award-crazy and cook up a hundred million different kinds of badges like they do on some boards. That would probably be little more than an inane distraction from the issues we normally discuss. But implementing a modest badge system for things like contest winners or addon releases could be beneficial in that it could reveal the achievements of users to people who are new to the site.
This is an awful suggestion, because you physically cannot add any sort of "achievement" system to a message board whose average poster age is below 15 and live through the day.

What would be a nice touch would be having a small, discrete log of the user's contest wins in their profile, just like their released wads. I mean, it IS an official contest, isn't it? :(

A_SpawnThokItem
A_SpawnSpinItem

I think it'd be cool if these were put in, because if someone were to make a spinitem or thokitem that's virtually the same as any other thokitem/spinitem, but is just classed as a different mobj, then using an action such as A_CheckBuddy can check for the specialized thokitem right at the time it's spawned. This could then lead to some pretty cool things, like Metal Sonic finally having his jet.

I theorize this would work like this:

The player would spawn and immediately on his spawnstate execute A_DualAction, which would spawn the players thokitem/spinitem so fast they wouldn't be able to see it. The second action would be A_CheckBuddy, which would check for a cetain object. That object would be Metal Sonic's custom spin/thokitem. If it doesn't see his specific thokitem, then it would just delete itself. However, if it were to see his custom spin/thokitem, it would then spawn the jet that would capechase to Metal Sonic at a position just at the right spot on his back!

I know it's kinda dumb to add this feature just for one character, but I imagine some creative people could make use of this somehow. :P

Here's a little tweak that could be useful. Make it so that if the Ambush flag is checked on Gas Jets, the force of the jet will be adjustable by the angle value. The reason I propose that this only be adjustable if the Ambush flag is set is to ensure backwards compatibility; older maps won't have their Gas Jets configured according to this system.

Like this one?

I thought this would be pretty cool, actually...

I reacently read the thread SMS made complaining about how character abilities suck now (wow, I love how everyone assumes he's wining he can't port SMS to 2.0 :|), and I noticed Mystic said that he doesn't want anyone messing with the weapons system at ALL, which is why Slingitem was taken out.

Well, that game me a coolio idea.

How about either one of two things...

Idea 1) A super-rare weapon that appears maybe once in a blue moon on a match map. That item would be a very powerful red ring. Now, to prevent the whole "overpowered >:|" thing, I thought it would be cool to have the weapon only spawn in a designated location (which can be randomized, so people don't camp there >_>) and appears less often than the Chaos Emeralds. This weapon would, by default, be a powerful red ring. However, slingitem could effect it by having it be something else. That way, people can have their powerful weapons, but not right when they play on the map, and it'll be a big challange to get it! :D (Along with that, add a power calculator or something to detect the slingitem's variables to calculate how much ammo is given. For instaince, if it's an explosion ring, maybe only 5 ammo. If it's an armageddon shield explosion or anything, one ammo (gotta use that wisely))

Idea 2) Super weapons. I may have suggested this before, but maybe have it so a superform can have a specialized weapon, and maybe have a power calculator to go with that as well. So like, if it's a bomb ring for a weapon, it chops off 10 of your rings at each use. If it's an armageddon shield weapon, byebye superform and emeralds.

You mean SOMETHING LIKE THIS: An AUTOMATIC-GRENADE-SCATTER-HOMING-INFINATE-BOUNCING-BOMB-RAIL-KILLS-EVERYONE-ON-THE-MAP-RING?

Two things.
1.) Allow Analog in Multiplayer. I love using analog, it feels so natural with my XBox 360 controller in the palms of my hands.
2.) Light dash as Ability2. You would still be able to spindash, but if you charged it up for long enough, it would display the spindash afterimage around you, except instead of just being your character's color, it would be cyan. Then if you kept on holding down the button, you could walk around with light dash charged and ready to go. Then you let go near a trail of rings and you would zoom off and collect each one. Just like in SADX.

Two things.
1.) Allow Analog in Multiplayer. I love using analog, it feels so natural with my XBox 360 controller in the palms of my hands.
I suggested that a long time ago, and the devs shot it down. I think they said that it would be too complex to program individual analog camera objects all over the stage. But I do agree with you that that would be sweet.

Analog control in multiplayer doesn't work because your directional controls are based on the position of the camera in analog, which isn't transferred to the host. The only person in the netgame that knows where your camera is is you, so how can the host determine what direction left is when it doesn't know which direction the camera is facing?

New ability: Bounce jump
Similar to the water shield ability in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, when the jump button is pressed a second time, the play bounces, going higher than before. Of course, there would be a limit to how many times a character could bounce. I would say at the least, 3, and at the most, 5.

This probably couldn't be fixed without going back and doing a tiny bit of level conversion, but why are the Bustable Block Sprite Parameters specials in the same list as the floor friction effects? This means that you can pick the sprites of a bustable block or you can program it to be slippery, but you can't do both.

The whole system is a bit dodgy. Bustable block parameters should really be a single linedef, and not a bunch of sector effects.

I suggested that a long time ago, and the devs shot it down. I think they said that it would be too complex to program individual analog camera objects all over the stage. But I do agree with you that that would be sweet.

The chase camera originally was mobj like anything else. SSNTails de-mobj-ified it. I'm not entirely sure why.

Well, it's been known that many, many people dislike the new character system, so here I am to present my own version of a character system.

SCIZOR300'S NON NERFED-TO-HELL CHARACTER SYSTEM PROPOSAL sort of..

Starting with the S_SKIN attributes.

Code:
name = 
face = 
facename = 
ability = 
ability2 = 
normalspeed = 
thrustfactor = 
accelstart = 
acceleration = 
startcolor = 
prefcolor =
jumpheight = 
highres = 
runspeed = 
superspin = 
superanims = 
superface = 
spinitem = 
ghostspinitem = 
thokitem = 
ghostthokitem = 
actionspd = 
mindash = 
maxdash =

This is the character system as you see now.

Code:
name = 
face = 
facename = 
[B]ability = *changed*[/B]
[B]multiability = [/B]
[B]spin = [/B]
[B]jumpspin = [/B]
[B]abilityframes = [/B]
normalspeed = 
thrustfactor = 
accelstart = 
acceleration = 
startcolor = 
[B]prefcolor = *changed*[/B]
jumpheight = 
[B]peelout =[/B] 
highres = 
runspeed = 
superspin = 
superanims = 
superface = 
spinitem = 
ghostspinitem = 
thokitem = 
ghostthokitem = 
actionspd = 
mindash = 
maxdash =

Ability
- Add Glide w/o Climb
- Switch Slow Fall and Super Sonic Float's Multiability benifits, effectively making them a bit more balanced

Multiability
- "0" meaning no, "1" meaning yes.

Spin
- "0" meaning you are not able to spindash or spin on the ground. "1" means you can. "2" means that you can't spin, but you can crouch using an added frame for characters.

Jumpspin
- "0" means that you can't spin in midair, "1" means you can.

Abilityframes
- "0" means that your ability does not use the set frames for them "1" means that your ability uses the set frames for abilities, no matter the ability chosen.

Prefcolor
- Add some of the other colors taken out since 1.09.4, such as Dark Blue, Dark Red, Gray, and some others.

Peelout
- "0" means that you use the traditional spin. "1" means that you can use a set of frames (Maybe ability) to use a Super Peelout, which propels you longer than a regular spin, and lets you run on water, but is extremely hard to steer and control, and it does not protect from or destroy enemies.

This is all I have at the moment, I may add more items pertaining to OBJCTCFG, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I actually like your idea, Scizor300, it would give more editing possibilites to the characters

a suggestion...

Some way to add a limit to abilities such as Slow Fall, Float and maybe a few others

There could also be some limit bar (like that green bar in NiGHTS mode) if the ability has a limit, ya know what I mean?

I actually like your idea, Scizor300, it would give more editing possibilites to the characters

a suggestion...

Some way to add a limit to abilities such as Slow Fall, Float and maybe a few others

There could also be some limit bar (like that green bar in NiGHTS mode) if the ability has a limit, ya know what I mean?

I like everything said above, these ways to edit the character sounds awesome. But this thing would be used for things like the Super Sonic Float, Fly, and Swim right? Or would this be for all abilities?

I have a suggestion for nospinjump.
Make the spin button force you into a crouch if you have multiability/nospinjump on. That way it is actually possible to beat most of the levels.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Back