Curse Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a swear filter is such a good idea. Not only does it limit liberty of speech, it's also nearly useless, and the last thing SRB2 needs is to take up space and memory for a hardly-necessary feature.
As for excessive immature swearing, it's easy. Ignore it. If they're little kids who think using excessive swears makes them cool, then they don't deserve attention. Ignoring is brutally underlooked. I mean, it's the solution for trolls for crying out loud.
Besides, the filters will hardly do anything. They just replace "shit" with "s**t". You don't see the swear, but the intention is still there. If it's meant as an insult, it's still an insult, despite being represented by asterisks.
So final line, I'm saying that anyone who's offended by swears may have to ignore swearing players. SuP3rC0olMEg4Dud3 is swearing a lot? Easy, next time you see a comment that's been posted by SuP3rC0olMEg4Dud3, don't read it. It's actually not that big of a deal.

The only reason I pefer a curse filter is because most of the curse words on netgames are used as insults. If not used as insults, they're overused anyway. I definetly don't want my mom walking in thinking I'm playing an inapropriate game...

I know I can just open & close the console to hide the text, but I can't just keep doing that, you know...

Overall, if you're tired of people cursing(and you're the host), just warn them and if they continue, mute the chat.

The curse filter was removed back then in an attempt to target a more mature audience with the MB

lol I can just picture it:
"You can swear now, so NOW do you want to play Sonic Robo Blast 2, huh?"

I definetly don't want my mom walking in thinking I'm playing an inapropriate game...

Same here. I'm not offended by swear words, but my mom would be if she saw some of the psycho trolls on netgames. Especially if my siblings are watching. As for swearing in itself, I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with it, unless it is used to insult someone, but then it's no worse than calling someone stupid. I mean, shit means poop, ass means butt, and I certainly wouldn't be afraid to say those. As for the F word on the other hand... I'm not such a big fan of that, simply for what it actually means, so I never use that one, and I tend to just ignore it anyway. And this is all coming from a Christian too. My mom just doesn't agree with me, even though I've proved my point to her.
Haha, I guess an old dog just can't learn new tricks, huh?

...Wow that was disrespectful of me... lol

The reason people can't explain why its bad.. is because they can't.
A lot of people grew up learning these words as very inappropiate/bad.(And not to use them, ever)
I can see why it is offensive. I wouldn't mind a curse filter on the boards. Reading the response "Deal with it"... Is it not too hard to enable it just to make a people stop complaining?

I've learned to deal with it in the past. Now I don't care too much when others say it. That doesn't mean I'll start cursing.

Then people would start complaining about the curse filter and you could use the same argument in reverse. You can't please everyone.
Why would people complain about the curse filter? That its there? What the hell? If people don't like it, they can turn it off. (I don't mean a curse filter that applies to everyone. Just an on/off one)

The reality is that an in-game curse filter simply won't work properly, and opens a huge can of worms that we really don't want to deal with. Just to name two annoying questions, what words are filtered and how to deal with curse words embedded in other words are both annoying as hell. Anyone who has attempted to use a chat system that has "ass" filtered can tell you that it's incredibly easy to use words assuming they work and suddenly discover that "assume" happens to have a filtered string in it. There's also the classic issue of typing non-English words such as shitake mushrooms.

Then, the instant you implement such a curse filter, in-game there's absolutely no way to enforce the usage. At least on a forum it's entirely possible to infract people for evading the filter, but in an SRB2 netgame that would never happen. Everyone would just start saying "sh1t" and "fsck" and all sorts of classic examples of ways to get around a filter that clearly doesn't work.

The best idea would to have a curse filter console command.

That way you wouldn't have to argue about whether or not to filter curse words. They'll probably just say a few, and you warn them to stop if you hate that. If it persists, then turn the curse filter on(instead of muting the chat like I said before).

And if they do the things that Mystic said they'd do (sh1t, fsck) mute the chat. Hooray, you win.

The best idea would to have a curse filter console command.

That way you wouldn't have to argue about whether or not to filter curse words. They'll probably just say a few, and you warn them to stop if you hate that. If it persists, then turn the curse filter on(instead of muting the chat like I said before).

And if they do the things that Mystic said they'd do (sh1t, fsck) mute the chat. Hooray, you win.

Client side would be the better option, the only reason it's not a clientside filter here on the MB is because we'd have to rewrite vBulletin's post crap to do it.

I know, Cue, but what I mean is that if someone wanted to offend people who used the filter, it would be trivially easy to get around, especially considering most server hosts would simply not care (and for good reason).

There just isn't a reason to implement such a thing. If you're easily offended by the things people say online, you're really going to just have to learn how to ignore morons and assholes sooner or later, and SRB2 netgames are as good a place as any.

I simply don't really care if players swear. Overall, swearing constantly just makes people seem like idiots, in my opinion. Although, in netgames, I do a little bit of swearing myself, but only for fun.
*Cough*Fuck*Cough*

I know, Cue, but what I mean is that if someone wanted to offend people who used the filter, it would be trivially easy to get around, especially considering most server hosts would simply not care (and for good reason).

There just isn't a reason to implement such a thing. If you're easily offended by the things people say online, you're really going to just have to learn how to ignore morons and assholes sooner or later, and SRB2 netgames are as good a place as any.

Well yeah, I wasn't saying we should implement it, just correcting his methodology. =P

Although I can completely understand why one would want a curse filter - It's honestly too much work for it to be worth anything.

This is espescially true considering that just about everyone (if not everyone) that is currently offended by swear words will end up getting used to those supposedly offensive words, and will even start using them themselves.

This is the internet.. and I think anyone who's been using it for a while has seen their share of offensive things.

There are many people here saying that they don't want a curse filter because f*** is a common word that we say in anger and it isn't offensive.
Well, let's analyze these cases of why a curse filter is needed:

I entered my firend's server, but by an accident the chat was muted. I tried to make him recognize me, but he couldn't. He railed me and said:
Ah, f*** ya!
Now tell me... Isn't it offensive?
Let's jump to other case.
Sometimes I see people saying:
Oh my f***ing God!
God has created the world gave everything we have, gave us the permission to stay alive posting here and this forum... And then he gets that offense. Hum.
Other...
Can't you get something out of your f***ing mind?
Wow! A mind that's having sex! That's a science progress!
I think I left my account logged in :D

There are many people here saying that they don't want a curse filter because f*** is a common word that we say in anger and it isn't offensive.

I entered my firend's server, but by an accident the chat was muted. I tried to make him recognize me, but he couldn't. He railed me and said:
Ah, f*** ya!
Oh my f***ing God!
God has created the world gave everything we have, gave us the permission to stay alive posting here and this forum... And then he gets that offense. Hum.
Other...
I pretty much agree with you.
Also, that is the most overused swear ever. People could at least use something more mild.

Ah, f*** ya!
Obviously offensive because he's using it as an insult.

Oh my f***ing God!
lol religion as a form of reasoning in debates

Other...
Now I think you're saying irrelevant things on purpose.
You obviously don't seem to understand what these words mean and why people use them (in a way other than insulting).

The other thing you still can't manage to understand is that a curse filter will fix absolutely nothing.
If you don't like cursing, try to keep it out of your server or politely request them to stop, but it's never going to be a rule that everyone has to follow because it's unimportant and can be evaded in the most trivial of ways.

Ah, f*** ya!
Oh my f***ing God!
Other...

Welcome to the Internet, where you either put up with it or don't browse the web.

I entered my friend's server, but by an accident the chat was muted. I tried to make him recognize me, but he couldn't. He railed me and said

Ah, fuck ya!
It'd be more offensive if he told me I was a pustule on the face of the human race, really.
What if I said "Go bugger yourself?" Technically more offensive to some people, as, well... you're giving yourself anal. But you'd have no idea unless I told you now, would you?

Oh my fucking god!

That statement makes sense. It usually is religious pre-teens who are offended by such petty shit as this.
We (either humanity, or the sapients of the universe(es)) may have created god, who went back in time and started the big bang in return. Basically: religion is up in the air, and treating the word god as a swear word just makes you sound stupider then relying on him for your argument.
Can't you get something out of your fucking mind?
As previously stated, people would only say "Can't you get something out of your fuck1ng mind?" or "can't you get something out of your fuzzy-lucking mind?"

Now, let's look at the cases against!

Impracticality
Already stated. If people don't want to offend others, they generally shy away from saying these words if discontent is shown. If they do want to offend you, don't feed the trolls. Also, the filter won't work. And what in the holy hell is the point if you can already tell what they're saying?

Mood killing
Well, to be honest. Most people don't give a flying fuck. I especially don't. I do, however, hate people who only say swear words. Why? Spamming. Not the fact that it's a swear word. It's kind of like entering an endless recursion of time, like that one animé I've never watched. Except you can kick people.

Plain bone-dead retardedness (aka: keeping some 12 year olds away)
There's only one thing more annoying than the 12 year old who says shit like it's going out of style. The 12 year old who objects because he said shit, not because the other guy's a whiny arse. Most people's number-one instinct on these types of people is to troll the hell out of them while calling Paedobear's number.

Whew, this was a close one.
Anyway, I'll forget this, cuz everyone's against me. I give up, I'll stay on my polite life, ignoring all the swearing. Right.
@Kopper: Sorry, but I didn't understand anything you said. And God is real. If he wasn't I would be a deaf person, right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back