• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jay's Miscellaneous Makings

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShamefulVeneratedGraysquirrel.gif
The shotgun got its own method of reloading, in an attempt to further differentiate it from the other weapons. It can be cancelled at any time by firing.

Not shown, however, were footstep sounds, some other changes to movement, and the new spread system, where moving will actually worsen the spread of your weapon. If you're hip firing for whatever reason, standing still will give you a better chance of hitting your target.

I also added firing speed caps to all weapons, so that they're finally balanced and are no longer ludicrous spam machines. This goes for the knife too. Nobody should be able to swing a knife 35 times per second.

On a side note, I plan to finally start remaking the Peach's Castle textures (...again...) tomorrow. No promises on when I'll start the actual map, though.

Last edited:
this gives OpenGL users a huge advantage over Software users, which is why I'm reluctant to add it.

It's better than it not working at all. Hopefully you will find something that will work in both modes, but worst case scenario you can make a version of the wad that works in OpenGL only, and one where both Software and OpenGL players can play.

Loving that effect. What weapon is that suppose to be? A Rifle? A bazooka, Whatever gun you have that part? Overall, that's awesome!

Loving that effect. What weapon is that suppose to be? A Rifle? A bazooka, Whatever gun you have that part? Overall, that's awesome!

...The weapon's name is literally on the bottom right corner of the gif...

VaEY8jJ.png

WIP wall texture for Peach's Castle. Still needs a lot of work.

(No, this isn't at all related to the shooter project.)

Last edited:
I know it's a 8 shells shotgun, but may I suggest to speed up the reload process?

Like in most shooters I've played, the first reload should be longer than the next ones, because the character is supposed to move his weapon in the right pose in order to reload it. Else I must say this is really good lookin' so far! =3

About that texture well... I'm not a reliable person when it comes to this kind of thing because whatever I see in front of me, this is awesome compared to the bullshit I would've come with if that was me. So yeah, it's awesome.

FailingImportantAlaskanhusky.gif
Movement spread demonstration.

Also shown is the weapon drop system - kill an enemy, and they drop their weapon! You can trade your current weapon for it by holding the switch weapon button, which is spin. Sadly, it's causing synch failures for some reason, so I have to fix it.

Yet another thing shown in the gif is my complete inability to perform an MLG 360 quickscope. I'm working on that too.

I know it's a 8 shells shotgun, but may I suggest to speed up the reload process?

Like in most shooters I've played, the first reload should be longer than the next ones, because the character is supposed to move his weapon in the right pose in order to reload it.

After testing, I'd have to agree. It's almost useless when reloading is that slow, so I went ahead and buffed it. The first reload is unchanged, but all subsequent ones are twice as fast.

Last edited:
So, I've hit a huge obstacle...

That weapon pickup system I showed in my last post? I've tried my best all day, and the desyncs have been persistent - not only that, but inconsistent as well. Sometimes I'll pick up a weapon and it works perfectly fine. Sometimes I pick up a weapon and it makes BOTH of my weapons cause desynchs. I don't know exactly how to fix it, but here's what I need to know:

Should I keep trying and search for a way to fix it, or should I change dropped weapon behavior entirely, so that it simply gives you a little bit of both primary and secondary ammo? On one hand, the latter would be extremely simple, but the former is just cooler.

So, yeah. Need you guys' advice on where to go from here.

(On a side note, all guns have their own recoil, reload sounds, reload times, and firing sounds. Finally, SOMETHING good!)

I don't know how you coded it, so it's difficult to say where it could be going wrong. Perhaps giving the object a physical sprite would help.

It's got nothing to do with the sprite, but I'm thinking of adding one for the sake of making it easier to find. I believe the desynchs stem from actually changing the player's weapon, but sometimes it doesn't desynch and sometimes it does. Here is the code:

Code:
//Pick up dropped weapon.
local function PickUpWeapon(mo)
	local originalweapon
	if mo.currentgun != mo.guns.knife
		if mo.currentgun == mo.guns.primary
			originalweapon = deepcopy(mo.guns.primary)
			mo.guns.primary = deepcopy(mo.tracer.stats)
		elseif mo.currentgun == mo.guns.secondary
			originalweapon = deepcopy(mo.guns.primary)
			mo.guns.secondary = deepcopy(mo.tracer.stats)
		end
		SwitchWeapon(mo)
		P_KillMobj(mo.tracer)
		local weapon = P_SpawnMobj(mo.x, mo.y, mo.z, MT_DROPPEDWEAPON)
		weapon.stats = originalweapon
		weapon.stats.spread = weapon.stats.hipspread
		mo.cooldown = 0
	end
end

Weapons in my script are stored as tables, with entries defining the statistics like reload time, ammo count, etc. Deepcopy is a function that copies a table and all its subtables (because setting x = existing table would just reference the table). I also looked into whether or not the stats were incorrectly copied when dropping the weapon, but I'm really baffled.

LargeGlassBellfrog.gif

Planning to get back to work on the other projects sometime soon. In the meantime, you can catch a quick, intentionally vague preview of a little side project! It's a custom game mode, and a very simple but very fun one. It's not related at all to the shooter, but it is from another game. I do plan to release this once it's done.

If you can't tell anything because the .GIF is too vague, I'll say this: Spectators can't chat or join in the middle of the round. Dying will also make you a spectator for the rest of the round. THERE ARE NO CONTINUES, MY FRIEND!

Anyways, I should be able to get more work done now that school's out for the summer.

Last edited:
Remember that little preview?

attachment.php

It was none other than Trouble in Terrorist Town, a Garry's Mod game mode. Unfortunately, when I said "side project" it ended up becoming my main project. Nevertheless, now that it's in Releases I will take my time to say the following.
  • The shooter project I was working on is going to get a major overhaul if I ever plan on releasing it. Originally it was to test myself and improve my Lua skills (mission accomplished) but if I'm going to release it (can't say for sure) I'm going to have to drop the CoD/TF2/CSGO/whatever themes. It'll have a unique crosshair, hit marker/feedback of some sort, random weapon ring spread based on how fast you're moving (except rails), and a slow "aiming mode" that greatly increases accuracy. If anyone wants the edgy, Shadow the Hedgehog-simulator version (guns) just ask.
  • Peach's castle is at this point very low priority, but I feel like I owe it to you guys since I kept teasing you with it a year ago. More than likely, I'll wait until 2.2 comes along with slopes, and then get started. In the meantime, I'll probably make some more textures.

Last edited:
Hey, look, a lil' update

UntriedArtisticIrukandjijellyfish.gif

My missiles were too fast, so I had to write custom physics code. Bullets with physics led to incredibly awkward gunfights that spanned anywhere from five to ten seconds, so I trashed all of it for what is now a reliable and very accurate hitscan system. Oh, and you can shoot through thin walls now, but it costs you some damage (proportional to how thick the wall is, of course!) If you look at those console numbers, that's actually the damage, followed by the penetration value - lower fractions mean the bullet barely exited the wall.

To think this is the same WAD as before. It hasn't progressed constantly, or even remotely steady for that matter - I've had all sorts of stuff keeping me busy, but I try to do what I can with whatever time I can put into SRB2.

Anyways, I just might fix up TTT if I get some time, since I remember promising to do it but getting off track. Haven't forgotten about it, I promise.

Actually the concept is what I do not like, but I admire your work and what you did is very well done.

Last edited:
On the contrary - that looks ridiculously awesome. I hope there's still high power rockets that aren't hitscan, but that's a great way to do bullets.

I do not like it very much

To tell the truth here, I appreciate your honesty! I do have to wonder, though, if it's the concept alone that you're not interested in, or the execution of it. Feel free to drop me some feedback if you're interested in helping it become a better thing.

Oh, and toaster, this may be of interest to you - it's from a version that's over a year old, and it'll take next to no effort to reintroduce aside from balancing.

MasculineEntireIrishsetter.gif

I love how this looks, each bullet type feels like it has a nice weight to it that makes it feel like the real thing and the particle effects sell it completely. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

I need more ZDoom-mod style particle effects in my life; this is radical, to say the least

Looking great!, Although the explosions when someone gets hit feels unrealistic, Maybe just remove the explosions when someone gets hit and only let them explode on death...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back