New Nintendo HD Console "Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, they say they don't support "garage developers", and yet their WiiWare lineup if full of the exact same kind of shit you see on iOS anyway. They've already shot themselves in the foot, as far as I care, but it's not like they haven't been constantly shooting themselves in the foot since E3 2008 or so. Thing's about as bullet-hole-filled as swiss cheese.

Also, I refuse to partake in a boycott. I love my Mario too much.

Nintendo's shooting themselves in the foot
they are shooting themselves in the foot
They've already shot themselves in the foot,
but it's not like they haven't been constantly shooting themselves in the foot
Thing's about as bullet-hole-filled as swiss cheese.

Ok, we get it, Nintendo sucks at holding guns.

Anyways, Nintendo will need to open the market up for casual developers to upgrade their software if they plan on standing a chance to the PS3, as the problem Sony and Microsoft have had is that whenever some good fan-made content or hack is made, they do everything possible to block it, just so they can go more money-rotten than the other.

Actually, Microsoft is one of the best supporters of indies there is, as long as you don't make money from your stuff, they don't care, and they have the Indie Games Marketplace allowing anyone who knows C# and XNA and has £60 lying around to release their games to every Xbox Live user in the world.

It's Nintendo and Sony that can't do Indie for shit, I haven't really seen much of WiiWare around, which tells me Nintendo is bitchy about it or nobody wants to use it, the dev kit is $2000 which is a long way off from the App Hub's (Xbox 360) $99, and I do believe the Steam Works SDK is free. Not to mention you have to license with Nintendo which I guarantee you is going to be a nasty process.

Meanwile, regarding Cafe, sounds a lot like what they did with the DS, upgrade some hardware and add a gimmick then release it insisting it's not the same console when really it is.

Also, enjoy the £100 controllers with that touch screen, because they sure as hell won't be £30 with the gyroscope, accelerometer, IR camera, 1:1 (if Nintendo cut this out this time and release it as an addon later then holy shit they're retarded) and touch screen.

I think it's fairly obvious that a lot of the rumors about the controller are conflicting and simply untrue. 6" HD screen? Not even the iPad's got that, AFAIK. I don't doubt there'll be a touchscreen, but 6" is remarkably large, and that it'd be HD is outright laughable.

Really, I don't know what to expect from the controller... maybe the rumors are true, but I won't outright believe them until early June, which is still like a-month-and-a-half away.

I'm more interested in the rumors that the console is a friggin' beast that handily outperforms the 360 and PS3 - a remarkable turnaround for a company who, while typically prone to this kind of stance in a generation (Super Nintendo was generally prettier and more aurally pleasing than the Sega Genesis, as nice as FM synth can be; the N64 had bilinear filtering, anti-aliasing and a lack of texture warping in its 3D games over both the Saturn and the PlayStation; the GameCube was generally more powerful than the PS2, but wasn't quite original-Xbox-level graphics), did a complete 180 this generation and deliberately went cheap to appeal to a broader spectrum of gamers, and handily succeeded as such. If you can handle proper polygon-based gaming at 1080p proper and 60FPS while still looking as good or better than the PS3's output, we have a winner. Considering the rumored video card of a Radeon HD4870x2, it's actually slightly better than my PC's current video card of a Radeon HD5870, and that card's pretty good at meeting the requirements I'd mentioned.

Really, if Epic shows up at E3 and showcases Unreal Engine 3, then I know we've got a winner here - considering the huge chunk of games which use that engine are now open to a Nintendo console.

Well, ShadowHog, I would like to remind you that ANY console they make ought to handily outperform the PS3 and 360. The current generation of consoles was launched four to five years ago, and technology is dramatically better than it was when they were made. Nintendo would have to REALLY try to make a system that is worse than the PS3 and 360 at this point.

Well, it's obviously not going to be any worse.

I'm just concerned it's going to be only marginally better, so when Microsoft and Sony decide to roll out their next iterations (whenever that is), Nintendo's in the same damn position they're in now. This worked out well in terms of money, but not so much in terms of a library worth playing outside of Nintendo-developed titles.

Goddamn it! I always hop on the next gen bus rather late. By the time I have a decent amount of games on my damn console, everyone else is playing the next hyper-realistic game machine out there.

...I'm getting a fucking PC.

Really now, 5 years after the release of the Wii they're already coming up with ANOTHER console? (probably not surprising for ya)

Also possible Portal 2 on the new console?!
Yeah, why not.

And the GC (2001) came out about five years after the N64 (1996) came out about 5 years after the SNES (1991) came out about 6 years after the NES (1985)...

This is a fairly typical time frame, honestly. It just feels so soon because the opposition has little to no intentions of moving on from their existing hardware.

I don't believe this becuase there was quite a few earlier rumors in last couple of years and the most frequent one is HD. The remote idea also sound to ridiculous and expansive for $80

They'll either need to yield to Sony's Blu-Ray or invent a new Disk, I really doubt any DVD will be able to handle next generation's consoles.

Microsoft and Sony were either too early or too late, but in both ways, it just didn't feel like the right time for releasing Playstation Move and XBox Kinect.

The processor isn't everything, I really want to see what kind of graphics chip they are using. (Hope it's better then what is in the PS3/360)
Edit:
AMD's R700 GPU architecture.
The sources also said that rumours about the console's graphical power were true, with Project Cafe set to outperform even the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor.

I'm good.

The processor isn't everything, I really want to see what kind of graphics chip they are using. (Hope it's better then what is in the PS3/360)

I'm good.

The 7800GTX is an old, old card, not difficult to beat at all. The processor is pretty important for Physics calculations and such, and actually, the R700 is pretty poor too, it's the 4xxx series Radeon tech, which pales in comparison to a lot of cards these days (the top of the 4xxx series is about 3 years old).

So yeah, old hardware, which is really going to limit the capabilities in comparison to whatever Sony and MS bring out (don't say graphics aren't everything, you need graphics and processing power to do some amazing stuff in games, while the look may not be that important, GPUs and CPUs aren't just used to make a game look pretty).

The 7800GTX is an old, old card, not difficult to beat at all. The processor is pretty important for Physics calculations and such, and actually, the R700 is pretty poor too, it's the 4xxx series Radeon tech, which pales in comparison to a lot of cards these days (the top of the 4xxx series is about 3 years old).
Yeah, I'm kind of shocked that people are worrying about it being worse or even equal to current generation HD consoles.

So yeah, old hardware, which is really going to limit the capabilities in comparison to whatever Sony and MS bring out (don't say graphics aren't everything, you need graphics and processing power to do some amazing stuff in games, while the look may not be that important, GPUs and CPUs aren't just used to make a game look pretty).
You also need a cheap and affordable price. We don't need "cutting edge technology" and have a repeat of PS3's launch.

I couldn't care less about new Nintendo consoles. The 3rd party content doesn't interest me, and especially not most of the first party content. Yes, I like to play Mario and Pokemon now and then but a few of those games doesn't justify buying a new console.
And personally, I don't like it. A new console is great, but I got my PS3 back in '09 and Nintendo is now releasing a new console and then Microsoft and Sony will probably do the same. Pretty much what Ice said, minus the PC part.
I'm expecting a high quality graphics Wii. That's really it. Screens on a controller seems like overkill to me. Probably will look shitty. Remember the speakers on the original Wiimote? It was supposed to immerse you. It probably did work well for a game or two, but it has incredibly crappy sound. And if it's any good it will probably be hella expensive. And I see no reason why Nintendo would go back to a traditional console seeing as how successful the Wii turned out.

Then a month later here comes the xbox720. I would like to see a preview of what the new wii will look like, but I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be major changes. Sure there might be a little upgrade in the graphics and hopefully better wifi but to be honest i'm not looking forward to it. I also hear rumor that Sony won't make any more playstations, or games for the ps3, but i`m not completely certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back