Multiplayer: Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm usually available at 6pm, GMT pretty much everyday. I can host but i dunno if my server is stable :/

Well I can only allow up to 4 players on my server and conditioned 5 or 6. But it's midnight by then so its most likely that nobody exept me and my brother will use it so 5 players are okay (I think). Also I am wake at night anyways esp. on holidays.

Serious inquiry: If I scheduled a date where we'd all get together and play 1.09's match/marathon halfway decent contest wads, how many people would join me for that? I could write an entire essay about how 2.0 ruined match (and I WILL), but I'd like to make sure I'm not wearing rose-tinted shades first. Do it for the ring combos and coronas.

I'd totally be down for this! Haven't played 1.09 online in over half a decade and would love to have a fun competitive nostalgia trip with some of the older folks around here. =D

Will keep an eye on this topic. For the record I also never liked 2.0's match mode any more than 1.09's either for a few reasons (mainly that it felt more FPS-oriented). Might be an unpopular opinion here but it doesn't hurt to have a blast to the past every so often =3

Edit: re: times, my past experience way back tells me that the best times for SRB2 are weekends during late evening/night hours GMT, because they align well with EST afternoons and late PST mornings. I'll let you all discuss it since my time's pretty flexible atm (especially on weekends)

Last edited:
Might be an unpopular opinion here

nah, I actually agree with you and ritz that 2.0 match is kinda bogus.

the problem I have with it is that the ring system complicates what was originally a really simple and intuitive design. originally you just get ring powerups and it powers up your ring shot, but now you have to juggle like five different weapons, both which require two different sources of ammo, and map making for the mode got a lot more tedious because you have to place both the weapons themselves and all of their respective ammo types -- and the maps can't be symmetrical.

I mean I wouldn't have played either system anyway because the game runs like garbage online for me, but at the very least I feel like the old system worked better with the gameplay. All I remember about why it got scrapped is because certain ring combinations were broken and we wanted to place all five rings in a map or something... i just don't see how the 2.0 overhaul benefits the game anymore

The biggest issue was the idea of merging powerups. They got beyond stupid. Homing alone was dumb, combine that with any other ring and dumb things happened. Rail + anything was also pretty OP. Basically there was no good combination of things, and some items needed a better check than the ring cap (auto comes to mind). These did very little to reward actual skill and the game quickly devolved into whoever can spam the most OP weapon wind. There was some skill involved, sure, but not much.

Hence the 2.0 system. It solves for the problem of combination rings by separating them and having you pick any 1 to use. It also solves for easily spammable weapons (auto) by capping the amount of that weapon you can actually hold at one time, while still allowing you to grab plenty of rings.

but combining the weapons was part of what made the system fun in the first place.... all the old mode needed was for homing to be replaced with bounce and rail and/or its combinations to get nerfed, everything else was fine imo.

a couple of ring types being bad doesn't mean the entire mode needs to be overhauled, and I'm not too fussed about the idea of auto spam in a game where everyone can almost outrun the bullets that are being shot.

The biggest issue was the idea of merging powerups. They got beyond stupid. Homing alone was dumb, combine that with any other ring and dumb things happened. Rail + anything was also pretty OP. Basically there was no good combination of things, and some items needed a better check than the ring cap (auto comes to mind). These did very little to reward actual skill and the game quickly devolved into whoever can spam the most OP weapon wind. There was some skill involved, sure, but not much.

Hence the 2.0 system. It solves for the problem of combination rings by separating them and having you pick any 1 to use. It also solves for easily spammable weapons (auto) by capping the amount of that weapon you can actually hold at one time, while still allowing you to grab plenty of rings.

It was a great feature but it had its flaws

Rail + anything was also pretty OP.

Automatic-Homing-Infinite-Rail-Ring! Just grab enough rings, get those powerups (use objectplace), find a high location on the map, add as many bots as you can and just hold down the fire-button. I've rofl'ed my ♥♦♣ everytime I did that but shortly after that the game crashed in most cases.

Yeah Rob is right about that. The old system was indeed broken but it was still interesting. The Railring itself is pretty OP but combined with something else it can get really obnoxious. I really liked the old, but flawed, system. It was somewhat different from [insert FPS game here] wich made that system pretty special. Either way I like both systems as how they are.

I find The current weapon system comfy but ... Ew, Rail rings, these things need to be timed again just like in older versions .

I find The current weapon system comfy but ... Ew, Rail rings, these things need to be timed again just like in older versions .

I feel like one way we could 'nerf' the rail is by instead of pressing the fire button to shoot the rail, could you change it so that you have to hold the fire button for about 3 seconds then it will shoot

I am not sure if old versions of srb2 even run well enough on my windows 10 computer. I am pretty sure non-sdl2 would run way too slow (though maybe on ogl it might be okay). Maybe if you wanted to do a wad with lua that has the old 1.09.4 match stuff, or maybe even modify it so some of the weapon combos aren't so overpowering. Also I remember a lot of the official 1.09.4 matches being really boring, I think the asymmetry in 2.0 actually makes the maps more unique. As for the weapon changing being a hassle, I just use the mouse wheel to change between weapons...using a specific key for each one is a hassle.

weapon switching wouldn't be so bad if our netcode didn't make toggling with the mousewheel feel so clunky

I'm pretty conflicted about the 2.0 vs 1.09.4 thing, and not particularly sure how to explain it other than that I found 1.09.4 inherently more fun--and I say that as someone who played both regularly for an equal-ish period of time. There's a bunch of stuff that 2.0-2.1 did right and the whole thing is overall way more refined than Ol' 2006, but I felt like those were outweighed by things that lost their fun factor in favour of balance and convention. IMHO, 2.0 took steps, but not necessarily in all the right directions.

There's a lot of personal pros and cons I wanna list, but not sure if this is the right place for it. I'm siding with anyone who preferred 1.09.4's match system though, it's not fair to totally cast its concepts aside just because they're old and less refined.

The last part of this I've gotta disagree with ironically, Homing was indeed dumb but IIRC the biggest 'dumb' and 'most OP' weapon was famously the Rail Ring--which also required good skill to use. It was also most of the best players' favourite ring, yet also unpopular for how ridiculously powerful it was when in the hands of a player with decent aim (not to mention minimal C-lag). Using Auto and Bomb--and hitting good players with them--was actually a sign that you were pretty darn skilled. The combining was OP though and did limit the types of weapons that could be reasonably included in a map.

All that said, I can't say I'm denying 1.09.4's sheer lack of balance here. =P And in general 2.0 made it easier to be a competent player who could fend for themselves--it definitely reduced the sharp learning curve in the old version. But as opposed to SRB2's 'rail' era, I always felt that 2.0 was more of a 'spam' era mainly due to the bomb rings and maybe grenades. Thokking and throwing bombs was always a popular move back when I played 2.0.

Note that everything I say here is just my view based on my days as a competent player on SRB2 way back when. Man I miss this game a ton!

Last edited:
I hate match. It's a stupid gametype.
Match is for Professional players who like First person Shooters like Doom or Half-Life, it requires some Accuracy and Fast Reacting, It is stupid to tell that a Gametype that has been playable since 90s is stupid :) .

the problem I have with it is that the ring system complicates what was originally a really simple and intuitive design. originally you just get ring powerups and it powers up your ring shot, but now you have to juggle like five different weapons, both which require two different sources of ammo, and map making for the mode got a lot more tedious because you have to place both the weapons themselves and all of their respective ammo types -- and the maps can't be symmetrical.
This is a big part of it. 1.09 was Power Stone deathmatch, fierce competition for limited resources with a fluctuating balance of power. It complemented the fast pace of the game: With a concrete benefit to collecting multiple weapons at a time, players are encouraged to race a circuit around the map to stock up, while time limits on weapons keep the action circulating. Players take turns powering up, giving them an opportunity to score while simultaneously making themselves a bigger target. Every player gets a turn in the spotlight, weapon combos are super satisfying to use, the consequent pressure is exciting. And when they finally do take damage, it isn't a traumatic event because you can stock back up just as easily. It's a closed loop, there's an order of operations to follow. Everything flows.

This flow is lost in 2.0 for a number of reasons: There's no hierarchy to follow in how to navigate the map or engage other players. With no ideal weapon, players are free to roam the map at random, and so their movements become impossible to predict. In a game where characters move too fast to visually follow, that yomi is key to determining the location of opponents in the map. Without it, matches feel formless and chaotic because there are no focal points for action. Also, no one player asserts themselves as a threat because there's no indication as to what they're carrying- tensionless. Hoarding weapons actually becomes a liability: I get that having an arsenal of situational tools is meant to give the game a tactical edge, but things move so fast that I'm not able to prioritize weapons the same way I would in any other deathmatch shooter. I'm never in the right frame of mind to switch to bounce or grenade to lock down a hallway, and even if I get the notion, the opportunity's gone by the time I'm done fumbling with the mouse wheel or hotkeys trying to select the right ring. Conscious weapon choices don't gel with SRB2, and when I have the locations of 6 weapons and 5 ammo types to memorize across 13 different maps (impossible when I can't manage to play the game frequently enough to learn or remember them)? Too many variables. All that shit to collect when I'm just going to drop it all in one hit? That's heartbreaking.

Moreover, coming back to multiplayer after something like an 8 year hiatus, I'm finding that it's totally impossible for me to hit players now, no matter what weapon I'm using. I know that's just me sucking, but now that I have all this deathmatch experience in other games under my belt, the concept of a game where players move faster than the bullets in a pseudo-3D environment with 2D sprites at 30fps is noticeably jarring to me, even when the game isn't lagging to hell. This wasn't a problem when any 2 ring combo was sufficient for hitting the broadside of any barn, and it was fair because Sonic could escape anything short of autorail. We talk about combos being OP, but I'm starting to think they were a necessity for scoring shots with any certainty. It lowers the bar for entry, but the skill ceiling is just about where it always has been. It was win/win.

So that's the core mechanics down, but I've got some big issues with the level layouts post-2.0. All these new maps look pretty, but they're relatively flat, labyrinthine and chock full of tight corridors. Object bouncing is all but extinct now, maybe even deliberately since nearly every monitor is tucked away in a corner. I've bitched about that plenty by now, but that vertical play is really the hallmark of this game for me, and the object placement isn't presenting any opportunities for it. Even the springs are all flush up against walls, like they're just begrudged stepping stones and not an opportunity for complex freeform space traversal, as they would be if allowed to sit out in the open.

I think there are some merits to symmetrical design: Having revisited 1.08 and 1.09's maps, I realized the common theme was for maps to share at least one single open space, so you generally had a clear line of sight to every other player in the map- being able to see every player conflict at once was visually exciting, but it also made these insane speeds manageable when you're less likely to lose sight of players entirely. Layouts are square or circular with either the inner or outer regions elevated, so that there was always a space to jump down into from a height. That space was always populated by unobstructed monitors and springs, which rewarded precise jumps with massive space coverage and novel routes which then become temporarily unavailable to other players. This makes sniping more fun and useful too (It currently is neither). This style of play is only present in the veteran CTF maps now. Tree Ring is still the standout example for this style in match. We lost some other decent maps along the way, like Flying Shrine, Starlit Warehouse (perfectly catered to autorail), maybe Air Haven. I know there were some gems in the OLDCs too, eager to rediscover what those were.

Last edited:
I think everyone here who wants to setup a good old game of Match on Sonic Robo Blast 2, should get on the IRC and discuss it there. In all honesty 1.09.4 match gameplay was nothing but simple, yeah it was fun for the most part. But it lacked in skill, the only required skill in 1.09.4 would be to thok away fast enough to avoid rail hell from anyone who combined all weapons together. I had a lot of fun to be honest with 2.0 match gameplay more then ever compared to 2.1 match gameplay. Mostly due to how the grenades seems to be so hard to get someone to trip over it minus throwing it into someone. I can't help but also feel that the hit box for all three characters are a tad bit smaller in 2.1, this might just be me though.

In all honesty, I felt 2.0.7 felt like the full package. Sure it had it's downfalls and match being very unbalanced in general. But I honestly feel Sonic Robo Blast 2, 2.1 lost it's magic touch from 2.0.

Ritz basically said what I wanted to say and expanded on it. SRB2 combat is movement-oriented because of fast characters and avoidable projectiles, and that means it has to follow different design rules from shooters where bullets are faster or instant.

Taking what Rob said about auto ring spam... that stream of projectiles actually creates compelling gameplay, because it controls how the enemy is supposed to move. Simple red rings are difficult to hit enemies with in SRB2's open environments, but having the area of influence that something like auto or bomb (and especially their combinations) provides you with creates gunfights in which tactical movement and area control is very important. The weapon combinations create high moments in gameplay where one player can become terrifying, but because the weapon system is time-based, actually maintaining that level of power can be challenging and requires constant movement to sustain. The power stones brought forth in 2.0 tried to bring this power flow back to compensate for changes in the weapon mechanics, but it never comes into play, and when it does, it's actually less fair than any double-ring combination 1.09 could grant you.

The 1.09 system works because its constant movement in characters and power levels creates interesting dynamics to the gameplay. 2.0's is okay, but in standardizing the weapon system as well as creating the complex maps to support them, I think all we've done is create a match game mode that functions but doesn't capitalize on what SRB2 is good at. And it also makes me never want to map for SRB2 again.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've been wondering how well a Gunstar Heroes-esque system would work. Two weapons merged together, max, would hopefully cut down on absurdly broken combinations, etc...

Was recently thinking the same thing.... Overwriting the older special ring whenever a third is collected would open up new level design possibilities on the older match format. Also, the two-ring combinations would be a lot more interesting with bounce and scatter in the mix.

First off, Ritz, thank you so much for taking the time to provide legitimate, thought-out feedback. It is SO nice to have someone actually explain their problems with specifics instead of "you changed it now it sucks", which is basically all I ever get. Even though the new system is way better balanced, I do think a lot of your complaints have merit. Some comments:

This flow is lost in 2.0 for a number of reasons: There's no hierarchy to follow in how to navigate the map or engage other players. With no ideal weapon, players are free to roam the map at random, and so their movements become impossible to predict. In a game where characters move too fast to visually follow, that yomi is key to determining the location of opponents in the map. Without it, matches feel formless and chaotic because there are no focal points for action. Also, no one player asserts themselves as a threat because there's no indication as to what they're carrying- tensionless.
This does still exist, but those focal points are perhaps a little too hard to grasp, especially for beginners or rusty players. The focal points are the SRM and the best weapon panels in every map, as well as many map-dependent things such as springs, choke points, and easy to obtain WRMs. A lot of the yomi in new match is more about predicting which way your opponent is likely to move even after he's out of sight. While threats are less obvious, there are also indications who is on a rampage and needs to be shut down, and making that more obvious is definitely a goal, even if it's just a matter of providing streak information in the combat log.

Hoarding weapons actually becomes a liability: I get that having an arsenal of situational tools is meant to give the game a tactical edge, but things move so fast that I'm not able to prioritize weapons the same way I would in any other deathmatch shooter. I'm never in the right frame of mind to switch to bounce or grenade to lock down a hallway, and even if I get the notion, the opportunity's gone by the time I'm done fumbling with the mouse wheel or hotkeys trying to select the right ring.
Generally it's not a great idea to change weapons in combat, fast as our game is. There are times when switching in combat is the way to go, but for the most part switching is something best done between engagements to set up for what your situation is going to be a few seconds from now instead of trying to switch when the situation is already occurring. Hence, the best time to change weapons is while dashing from one room to another, planning ahead for the level architecture in the next room.

When I play 2.X match I am changing weapons pretty constantly, even if I rarely do while engaging an enemy.

Conscious weapon choices don't gel with SRB2, and when I have the locations of 6 weapons and 5 ammo types to memorize across 13 different maps (impossible when I can't manage to play the game frequently enough to learn or remember them)? Too many variables. All that shit to collect when I'm just going to drop it all in one hit? That's heartbreaking.
I definitely agree that the gametype has become too complicated. I also agree that with the focus on collection, getting hit without a shield is absolutely brutal. You'll notice most of the changes made for 2.1 over 2.0 is that we made shields much more common, both with the pity shield mechanic and by literally just spawning more of them. I definitely think deemphasizing collection and making players need less stuff to be combat effective is a good direction to go.

Moreover, coming back to multiplayer after something like an 8 year hiatus, I'm finding that it's totally impossible for me to hit players now, no matter what weapon I'm using. I know that's just me sucking, but now that I have all this deathmatch experience in other games under my belt, the concept of a game where players move faster than the bullets in a pseudo-3D environment with 2D sprites at 30fps is noticeably jarring to me, even when the game isn't lagging to hell. This wasn't a problem when any 2 ring combo was sufficient for hitting the broadside of any barn, and it was fair because Sonic could escape anything short of autorail. We talk about combos being OP, but I'm starting to think they were a necessity for scoring shots with any certainty. It lowers the bar for entry, but the skill ceiling is just about where it always has been. It was win/win.
This is by far the point I think is the most interesting in your whole post. I hadn't thought about it from the point of view from the weapons before, but it's an excellent point. Our weapons are vastly ineffective at actually scoring. The only real method of securing a hit is forcing players into choke points or spam. This is mostly because most of the game was designed around very old quirks of the engine that no longer matter, like how maxmove used to be. We could, for example, double the projectile speed nowadays to no ill effect in the engine.

Instead of weapon combos, though, it makes me wonder if we should restructure things slightly again. Provide only weapons (remove the ammo mechanic) and make those weapons WAY stronger to compensate for the lack of combos. Basically take it in an Unreal Tournament direction with completely overkill weapons that would all be hilariously overpowered in any rational FPS, but because all the weapons are crazy, the whole thing balances out. This could also somewhat handle the issue where it feels so demoralizing to lose everything on hit, since you'd be just one weapon away from effectiveness again.

So that's the core mechanics down, but I've got some big issues with the level layouts post-2.0. All these new maps look pretty, but they're relatively flat, labyrinthine and chock full of tight corridors. Object bouncing is all but extinct now, maybe even deliberately since nearly every monitor is tucked away in a corner. I've bitched about that plenty by now, but that vertical play is really the hallmark of this game for me, and the object placement isn't presenting any opportunities for it. Even the springs are all flush up against walls, like they're just begrudged stepping stones and not an opportunity for complex freeform space traversal, as they would be if allowed to sit out in the open.

I think there are some merits to symmetrical design: Having revisited 1.08 and 1.09's maps, I realized the common theme was for maps to share at least one single open space, so you generally had a clear line of sight to every other player in the map- being able to see every player conflict at once was visually exciting, but it also made these insane speeds manageable when you're less likely to lose sight of players entirely. Layouts are square or circular with either the inner or outer regions elevated, so that there was always a space to jump down into from a height. That space was always populated by unobstructed monitors and springs, which rewarded precise jumps with massive space coverage and novel routes which then become temporarily unavailable to other players. This makes sniping more fun and useful too (It currently is neither). This style of play is only present in the veteran CTF maps now. Tree Ring is still the standout example for this style in match. We lost some other decent maps along the way, like Flying Shrine, Starlit Warehouse (perfectly catered to autorail), maybe Air Haven. I know there were some gems in the OLDCs too, eager to rediscover what those were.
This is the one part of this I vehemently disagree with. The new stages, while they do take a bit longer to learn and get the hang of, introduce so much more play and counterplay that the old stages just didn't have. There was a major conscious effort to make most maps have multiple routes into and out of every room and try to make the rooms visually unique to help players learn the design as quickly as possible. Some levels do this better than others, definitely, but overall I think we've done a pretty good job of making the levels in the default game as easy to learn as we possibly can. Sure, you'll need to play a round or two to learn the layout, but once you do, there's just so much more you can do in gameplay.

I also disagree with the idea that symmetry is a good idea pretty firmly. I don't mind the idea of making single-room maps, as we do still have Sapphire Falls and Meadow Match in the rotation, but symmetry makes it basically impossible to have one of anything in a map except at the very center, and often you want to have the map focus on something other than the very center. You'll notice a trend in 1.X maps being that the central room was the only important one. Tree Ring is a perfect example of this problem; it was huge and had all this wonderful space, yet everyone just stuck around the center where the random monitor was. In most of the games I played on Tree Ring, the entire outside and upper part of the map could have been removed and the match wouldn't have changed at all. Of all the things in your post, I think Tree Ring and Air Haven are the only things with complete rose-colored glasses at work. I hope you do get to play some rounds on them again to see how bad they really are.

Now, on the other hand, I may have inadvertently exacerbated this problem by including so many stages in 2.1 to expand the roster. It's probably better to focus on 8-10 levels instead of making a huge roster so that players can more rapidly learn all of the built-in stages. There's also a lot more we could do to help let newbies learn the maps more rapidly, such as more texture differentiation in the stages that could use it, and something to represent the weapon spawns even when the weapon isn't there.

I also don't mind the idea of using more springs in design, as we went away from that a lot in recent designs because so many players hated it, but of course we also have a water and lava level, so having a level with lots of springs and vertical movement would be some nice variety. With the monitors, there was a conscious effort to prevent bouncing on any randomized monitor for significant benefit, but other monitors have been out in the open quite a bit. There's just less motivation to do so outside of the more vertical maps like Desolate Twilight and Sapphire Falls. I find monitor bouncing far more effective as an ambush tactic than just getting around nowadays.

Was recently thinking the same thing.... Overwriting the older special ring whenever a third is collected would open up new level design possibilities on the older match format. Also, the two-ring combinations would be a lot more interesting with bounce and scatter in the mix.
This is actually something we considered when we were originally designing 2.0, but we decided against it because it would be absolutely rage-inducing to overwrite your perfect combo unintentionally when dashing through someone's stuff. If you've ever played Symphony of the Night, imagine the subweapon drop replacements, only trying to manage two at once.

This is actually something we considered when we were originally designing 2.0, but we decided against it because it would be absolutely rage-inducing to overwrite your perfect combo unintentionally when dashing through someone's stuff. If you've ever played Symphony of the Night, imagine the subweapon drop replacements, only trying to manage two at once.

Then perhaps thinking of the weapons not as rings you drop on hit, but "elements" or some other thing that you don't drop would be a better idea. You're already losing literally all of your ammunition whenever you take a hit, in any case, so it's not like you'll be doing any immediate firing back if you keep them.

Hmm, Lua scripting out to be powerful enough to give something like this a test run...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back