• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Lat' does bullshit~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think "boosting" should have a different method of activation, like holding Spin while floating. Double-tapping is too hard to do precisely sometimes.

That ability is awesome. I ditto the concern about how you should be using spin instead of double tap; it might help balance him more since that would allow for shield ability to take precedence over flyboost, leading to a "do I ACTUALLY want to pick up this shield? Hm." scenario.

Also, is there a reason the standing head is larger than the walking/flying head? It looks like it could use a kersmidgen of polish to look less like it compacts at the top. (the flapping is also a little overpronounced, considering the angle of the head doesn't appear to tilt - but that's not a huge issue)

The walking sprites are just placeholders from some other Silver wad, toaster.

Also, yay, Silver progress~

Oh, fair enough! Then yeah, I don't retract my criticism of it because it's important to know what's wrong with them and it's good that you recognise that too, but at least I know it's not your fault those old sprites exist. :P

EDIT: lol at the post below, hi AJ super sonic with a copypasted head from the standing frame

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the feedback!
Besides, yeah, I should've mentioned these are only sprites from ... SilverNeo (I think?) which are sometimes hilarious to look at.

...Boy this screenshot is old. ...and ugly.

Last edited:
Just dumping ideas, don't mind me~

Hm, maybe make it more similar to Super Sonic's float? Hold Spin in air to maintain it of course, but with the addition of holding Jump to go up. Maybe still let him float after releasing Spin once by holding it again while falling, since you already have a meter that limits how much he can float?

As for Telekinesis, you could try making it so that you can only pick up projectiles, but they always circle around you, blocking and hurting enemies along with being able to throw them. Think Mario Kart shells, possibly limit them to three. That way you can make projectiles more useful, even if they are relatively scarce.

Besides, even if picking up enemies is a tad bit OP, I think while making a character, ones main goal should be to make a fun character, rather than making a balanced character. (That, and there's no enemies in competitive modes anyways so...)

Last edited:
On another note, here is a concept for Silver's ability, and, well, feedback on it would be pretty much appreciated.
Being someone who remembers it as if I liked Sonic The Hedgehog "Reboot", I feel like 10 seconds is way too long a float when compared to Sonic The Hedgehog "Reboot"'s 2-ish seconds. And while the "boost" ability is a nice addition, I feel like having 2 seconds of it is also too much, making him too overpowered in comparison with (2.1's) Sonic/Tails/Knuckles. Maybe a 5-second float and a 1-second boost would be more balanced? I'd like you to try. You can always revert it if it feels too short.

Also, I feel as if the re-charge is a bit too slow (however it might be just right. I haven't tried it myself, you know. :P ). And additionally, you might want to make it first begin re-charging after a half second on the ground instead of instantly, but again, that's something that should be tested to see how well it'll work in-game.

And another thing mostly unrelated to the ability itself... How will you handle colouring? Will the skin colour affect the normal fur or the telekinesis aura? And in the case of the former, how would that apply to when using telekinesis? Like... Well, especially in team-based game-types, having the same colour for both teams when just using an ability is pretty... eh. And the other way around, too.

The thing with using buttons rather than mouselook is that it makes the ability even more complicated to use, and way less precise for that matter, since you can actually choose the angle YOU want using the mouse, rather than having to deal with a fixed angle while going up and down. Besides, I honestly don't think the regular float length itself is a problem considering all characters with the regular float ability can use it without any limit, the psych boost is kinda the... "real power" of Silver, I guess it lasts a bit too long indeed, might shorten the time, but the meter recharge is long to not make the boost spammable

I can't think of any other way that could be used, personally speaking.

Same here, to be honest. Maybe using Custom Button 1 and 2? Or making forward propel the player upward and back propel him downwards? Maybe the player it works like regular flight except the player has to hold the jump button instead of tapping it? I dunno, these are just random ideas.

The thing with using buttons rather than mouselook is that it makes the ability even more complicated to use, and way less precise for that matter, since you can actually choose the angle YOU want using the mouse, rather than having to deal with a fixed angle while going up and down.

Are you serious?

Excuse the rudeness, but how in the hell is using the mouse more imprecise than using "press this key to move at this angle"? With the mouse, I can flick it all around randomly and then who the hell knows in which direction I'm going to fly in (maybe straight up? maybe 40 degrees upwards? maybe downwards at 78 degrees?), with the keys, no matter what I do, I'll always fly the same way in all situations (barring the obvious reverse gravity). I press this key, I advance upwards at this angle. I press this other key, I advance downwards at this other angle. Simple, predictable and as precise as you somehow think it isn't.

On a sidenote, you should find a new way to activate the psychic flight because this double-tapping business sounds like it'd be extremely easy to trigger by accident.

I can't imagine his mouselook floating to be more bizarre than Knuckles' gliding, to be honest. Trying to use custom button 1 for floating upwards would only unnecessarily complicate the character's gameplay. That's like giving Sonic a specific button for thokking, or giving Knuckles two custom buttons for climbing. It just doesn't works, and it's irrationally specific for the button layout. If anything, floating towards the view of the player sounds far smoother and practical to use.

I'll just say this, though. Having a downwards float is an outright stupid concept. I might as well just not float at all, if I wanted to go down.

I will say this now: your idea falls flat on its face for players who don't use the mouse at all. Using custom buttons to elevate and descend would probably work a lot better for everyone, even if it means "overcomplicating" the ability.

I'm sure if they learned how to set and use their custom buttons, they could easily set up camera controls aswell (or just learn to use the mouse :P)

On the topic of the ascending/descending controls, how about making Silver's boosting control sort like Brak Eggman's missiles, only faster? That is, make Silver move forward at a fixed speed while boosting, and let the player angle his flight upward by holding Forward and angle it downward by holding Back. That way, Silver's boosting controls would be intuitive for anyone who's flown a Brak Eggman missile before, and they wouldn't require players to use the camera controls or the custom buttons.

On the topic of the ascending/descending controls, how about making Silver's boosting control sort like Brak Eggman's missiles, only faster? That is, make Silver move forward at a fixed speed while boosting, and let the player angle his flight upward by holding Forward and angle it downward by holding Back. That way, Silver's boosting controls would be intuitive for anyone who's flown a Brak Eggman missile before, and they wouldn't require players to use the camera controls or the custom buttons.

I greatly appreciate this idea, the sight of using custom buttons just makes the ability absolutely unusable for my tastes.

DiligentBoilingBoto.gif

Here is about how powerful the ability is right now with the changes 742mph mentioned.
EDIT: Ability activation also changed to spin, you don't have to hold it, though.

Last edited:
The finished frames (standing, walking front angle) are made from scratch over Sonic.
All of the other frames are from SilverNeo and are just here as placeholders.

Silver looks great! After playing as your Tails wad, I cant wait to see Silver. The ability seems too much for me, but other than that, love it so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back