DS vs PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.
JigglyWiggly said:
Dr.Pepper said:
JigglyWiggly said:
Don't you know how outdated that is? Try looking at the R4, ( http://r4ds.cn/r4ds.html ) there's no risk of bricking your DS, it's not that expensive, doesn't stick out like a sore-thumb, and very quick/easy to setup. There's hardly any real work involved in getting homebrew and backups running on the DS.

Still more work, you have to BUY things. PSP, let's see get 1.5 firmware > install 5.0 CFW firmware and I'm done. I download any psp game i want(backups) and emulate ps1. Try that on a DS. Ds is so big and chunky, btw games on psp are more fun. No patapon on the DS, and ridge racer owns :)

Yeah, but you cannot downgrade firmware, as far as I know.

RE4FAN said:
:SonicMaster: said:
RE4FAN said:
I use my PSP more than my DS, but in no way are any of them 'bad'.
It's simply a matter of opinion, fanboyism, and facts.
If you like one system more than the other, chances are you'll never be convinced to change your opinion.
DS homebrew is easier to get than PSP.
PSP involves downgrading and a memory stick; DS just needs a special card for it.

If I'm not mistaken, PSP actually needs modchips to play homebrew. Modchips are instafail.

Sorry to say dude but nope, it just needs custom firmware, that can be activated on any PSP.
Not on PSP-3000 silly.

JigglyWiggly refuses to actually research things, and as a result puts forth the worst argument ever. Downgrading the PSP to 1.50 hasn't been possible since the release of the Slim, the Slim models out there that actually are hackable require you to "BUY things" to get them into a state where you can install a custom firmware, and even most "fat" PSPs were hacked years ago by save data exploits in GTALCS or Lumines, games that you needed to "BUY", firmware exploits were the minority. You'll be hard pressed to find a PSP these days that you don't need to "BUY things" to get homebrew running on. Get your facts straight and don't make claims you can't back up.

Now let's look at the DS. The flash carts currently available for it are stupidly cheap now (as is, come to think of it, the service mode battery you need for Slim PSPs). I just got my hands on a DSTT card for my DS, and it set me back a whole six dollars. That's SIX dollars. You can make that much money mowing somebody's lawn during summer or shoveling their driveway during winter. Another few dollars for a smallish micro-sd card, since DS games aren't that big, and I was set.

Edit: After re-reading my post, it almost seems like I'm hating on the PSP in the first paragraph. That couldn't be further from the truth, as I have a PSP of my own with custom firmware installed (incidentally, by way of a firmware exploit, I was lucky). I use it primarily for playing my old PS1 games. It's loads of fun, but right now I've got a backlog of DS games to get through, so the PSP is getting less play-time.

blargen said:
Fyrus said:
blargen said:
The ds supports ALL of the gba games.

The DSi won't. Due to it being veeeery thin, it has no GBA slot. But it has an SD card slot, which is better.

Whats a DSi?

Not to be rude, but have you been living under a rock? Nintendo Power and Game Informer had articles about it, and its been on the internet since like November. Just google it.

I didn't know that Nintendo was upgrading the RAM and CPU in the DSi, can't wait to see what Web browsing will be like on it. :P I hope flashcarts for the DSi will be nearly as cheap as more recent ones, it sucks I won't be able to use my R4 card on it...and I got mine back when they were still selling for around $60-70. D:
The DSi's upgraded hardware still won't help it play SRB2 any better than the DC port though, that's one advantage the PSP has/will eventually have. :(

Fyrus said:
blargen said:
Fyrus said:
blargen said:
The ds supports ALL of the gba games.

The DSi won't. Due to it being veeeery thin, it has no GBA slot. But it has an SD card slot, which is better.

Whats a DSi?

Not to be rude, but have you been living under a rock? Nintendo Power and Game Informer had articles about it, and its been on the internet since like November. Just google it.

I don't read Nintendo Power or Game Informer. Nor do I keep up with japanese systems. Most of t he time I hear about it when its made in english. Of course I go to Gamespot alot... Figured I would have heard about it. o.o'

akirahedgehog said:
Not on PSP-3000 silly.

Wow, Sony really hate homebrew, huh?
They blocked the pandora's battery trick?
But that doesn't make much sense, since they use that trick with their own to restore bricked PSP's sent to them.

Oh well, *shrugs*

Either way, you have to buy something to use homebrew on any, as said above.
Personally, I prefer the PSP, but I love my DS.

As far as the DS and PSP go, I don't have a preference. I use PSP for late night chats when I'm not on the computer (although eBuddy is considered fail IMO), and use the DS for gaming while chatting. Great combination.

fawfulfan said:
Here's what I think. Just as with EVERY SINGLE competition of Nintendo vs. Sony, it came out like this: Nintendo--best titles, Sony--best graphics.

Hmm.... if only Nintendo got the graphics of Sony. But I prefer the DS.

RE4FAN said:
But that doesn't make much sense, since they use that trick with their own to restore bricked PSP's sent to them.

Sony said:
Please note that we will not service your unit and will return it to you if we determine that...it has been modified outside of factory specifications...

EDIT: Yeah, it is that way for both PS3 and PSP.

RE4FAN said:
They blocked the pandora's battery trick?
You could hardly be more wrong. Sony does not use the pandora "trick" to fix PSPs sent in for servicing. They use their own software in conjunction with service mode. It's digitally signed by (shock of all shocks) Sony, so it will always work.

It's well known that a stock PSP requires that all code it executes be digitally signed by Sony, even at the earliest stages of the boot process. The pandora hack takes advantage of a series of security holes during boot time in order to fool the PSP into running unencrypted code. A lot of these flaws were known long before pandora, and were used to run hacked firmware. In conjunction with "service mode", which is really just a fancy name for "boot from the memory stick instead of the internal flash", the pandora hack provides unrestricted access to PSP hardware regardless of the state of the firmware.

That is, in short, how pandora works. It has to jump through a series of hoops to get anything done. Sony's own unbricking code, however, will run without fail. They didn't disable service mode outright, they just locked it down so only they can use it, the way it was meant to be.

TL;DR Sony has its cake and eats it, too.

Meh, I'm sorry, I haven't checked on PSP news since 2007; I got custom firmware and just stopped reading homebrew news.
I think now that maybe it was just a rumour at the time, because I remember seeing photos.
So yeah.

Screw graphics, gameplay FTW. I think I use my PSP for everything but playing games anymore (though I loved playing Phantasy Star Portable and Final Fantasy Tactics on it). I haven't touched my DS since I finished Sonic Chronicles. However, to be fair, I forgot I had a PSP until I saw it today.

i own a ds but i wanted a psp. psp's are better for the fact that you can play games watch movies,listen to music,photo capability, as well as internet you can pretty much do anything.

dont forget that you can play ols ps games by bying them at the ps store on the system[spoiler:9454be627e]plus the have free stuff[/spoiler:9454be627e]

Re: ...

Koopadawg said:
i own a ds but i wanted a psp. psp's are better for the fact that you can play games watch movies,listen to music,photo capability, as well as internet you can pretty much do anything.

Something tells me that you never knew a ds could do all those things with and without an R4. something also tells me you've never heard of the Nintendo channel ether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back