Let's debate GFZ! (Split from "Yet Another 2.1 Update")

Status
Not open for further replies.
So um...

kawOCbY.png

njftviY.png

sLclmnw.png

Aside from the obvious fact I just selected the lines and did quick "Find > In this section > Replace" and the lack of a matching floor in SRB2 by default (seriously, where is it), would this be fine? It looks OK to me.

I don't get that usually people have to be weird.. But, really. If you totally think that GFZ ACT 2 should be scrapped, I actually agree. I never thought that GFZ would be this crappy until now, so.. Yeah.

D00D, not really to me. It just looks like the same map with some walls textured in more detail, those textures just aren't distinct enough from each other.

See, I actually quite like D00D's subtle approach.

Also, we're not redoing GFZ2. It's one of my favorite stages in the game and is only visually ugly, not bad in gameplay. The changes in 2.1 are similar to the changes SpiritCrusher made a while back (and in some cases, lifted straight from his work)

Ok but if the visuals are ugly, then why not change those at least? Maybe you are right sure, the gameplay is ok. But does it really stand up to the other major changes that happened on the other zones?

Also, we're not redoing GFZ2. It's one of my favorite stages in the game and is only visually ugly, not bad in gameplay. The changes in 2.1 are similar to the changes SpiritCrusher made a while back (and in some cases, lifted straight from his work)

That's good to hear, on both counts. I was getting worried there for a moment with all the claims that GFZ2 should be remade. I'm also glad that SpiritCrusher's fixes are being implemented.

See, I actually quite like D00D's subtle approach.

To be honest, I don't really see how this is subtle. I find trying to combine the two sets of textures strange and unnecessary, especially since GFZROCK2 doesn't really match with GFZFLR02 in my eyes. Would something like GFZINSID with GFZROCK's colours work for walls on platforms within the caves (not the main walls), or would use of GFZVINES in some areas help?

There's no flat version of GFZROCK2, otherwise D00D64 would have changed the flats too.

I meant the grass, I realise there's no corresponding flat. Though I thought there was for a bit, but I got that mixed up with SA CEZ texture set.

Exactly. It got to a point where if everything is changing, change it now or leave it behind forever.

I meant the grass, I realise there's no corresponding flat.
Oh right, GFZFLR02 is the grass, GFZFLR01 is the checkerboard. Well, since it makes little sense to have a grass floor in a cave anyway, the simplest solution would be to just change the floor texture. But regardless, replacing GFZROCK with GFZROCK2 doesn't change the fact that all surfaces in the cave use the same texture.

I can understand the checkerboard texture somewhat as far as a stylish thing, but really I think Green Flower Zone is kind of disappointing to me as far as a theme is concerned. Say what you want, but it's called Green FLOWER Zone, not Green FIELD zone. There aren't enough flowers. I really think it would be cool to see like this lush zone with a more flowery theme to it. And a few flowers in the intro of GFZ1 doesn't make up for that. Some more prevalent varying floor textures and wall textures is just what GFZ needs. Also I wouldn't mind an invisible wall if it meant we didn't have that giant ugly checkerboard wall and in its place could be like a pointless extending flowerbed that has no need for exploring. It needs more scenery and more life because right now it's really dull.

Like I know it's based off the Doom engine, but it really feels like we're constantly encased in walls and caverns, whereas Sonic is supposed to be a lot more open and free.
Sorry I know we're talking about Greenflower Zone but I'm just saying.

Like I know it's based off the Doom engine, but it really feels like we're constantly encased in walls and caverns, whereas Sonic is supposed to be a lot more open and free.

Skyboxes do just that, once 2.1 is out I'll see no reason to not tear down most of the walls in place for a really nice one.

Skyboxes do just that, once 2.1 is out I'll see no reason to not tear down most of the walls in place for a really nice one.

Even if the walls look really nice, I still don't want to see too much of them. Open space is better than a wall.

But regardless, replacing GFZROCK with GFZROCK2 doesn't change the fact that all surfaces in the cave use the same texture.

I'll restate my point just in case it was missed. Would the use of GFZVINES of a recoloured GFZINSID help in distinguishing the various walls within the caves and to mix things up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back