Sonic Lost World and Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Olympics Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s88h3o_nuAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GCjJIlVQ-s

Both Zazz boss fights. There is a midboss version of the boss song (played during the Zazz trailer) and a world boss version of the boss song (played during the Zavok trailer). The mechanics look nice and you do fight bosses at the end of levels again, but I am seriously hoping that the rest of the boss fights are not as easy as how these two looked. It looks like you can cheese the guy without much effort which is setting off a red flag with me at the moment unless I see otherwise when I play the game myself or there is some other type of confirmation.

For those who have been following the footage of the levels and seen the enemies it is looking like there are variations of the same Badnik like Crabmeats and Snail Blasters. In Tropical Coast Zone 1 Crabmeats scuttle left and right while in Frozen Factory Zone 2 they actively shoot at you. In Windy Hill Zone 1 Snail Blasters crawl back and forth shooting while in Zone 2 they stay in place and shoot with the except they can roll towards you when you are on the same platform.

Last edited:
The mechanics look nice and you do fight bosses at the end of levels again, but I am seriously hoping that the rest of the boss fights are not as easy as how these two looked. It looks like you can cheese the guy without much effort which is setting off a red flag with me at the moment unless I see otherwise when I play the game myself or there is some other type of confirmation.
kyo0.png

Last edited:

Got abducted by aliens but I am alright now. No, seriously I might as well said that I got a stake to the heart. Must have fell asleep before finishing the message and forgot about it. I'll edit in what I meant to say.

Oh! That makes sense. I was kind of thinking that bosses will be going back to the classic mechanics but was not quite sure if I would be right if I said that. What could work for the Act 4 fight is a higher hit count even though it is the first main boss since it is easy to hit Zazz anyways in my opinion.

Last edited:
So, I got Sonic Lost World today and completed it, albeit a bare bones completion so I haven't gotten all of the red rings etc.

I haven't played through the secret bonus world you unlock after finishing the main game either.

The core gameplay is solid and enjoyable and I had a lot of fun with most of the stages. Especially Frozen Factory and Desert Ruins, those were fantastic zones. But most of the bosses were lackluster at best or outright terrible at worst, a particularly awful offender is the Sky Road 4 boss. The final boss was great but easy though, which was a refreshing change after the terrible bosses from earlier in the game.

Also this game is seriously hard, from Sky Road onward the difficulty spikes up to something akin to Donkey Kong Country's difficulty level. I got several game overs, even though the game is quite generous with extra lives.

Overall though, the game feels rough around the edges and unpolished. It's strange because the issues don't arise with Sonic Team adapting to a new gameplay style. The bosses that let the game down are mostly just bad game design which make the game feel rather average as a whole.

Edit: This is important and I forgot to mention it. The rhythm wisp is terrible go away nobody loves you.

Last edited:
So, the overall critical reception appears to be severely mixed so far. Scores range from a high 90 all the way down to a 20 out of 100.

At this point I'm not even sure which website/critic is the more trustworthy.

Either way I still want to get this game, it definitely seems to be good enough to warrant a purchase or at least a rent.

So, the overall critical reception appears to be severely mixed so far. Scores range from a high 90 all the way down to a 20 out of 100.

At this point I'm not even sure which website/critic is the more trustworthy.

Either way I still want to get this game, it definitely seems to be good enough to warrant a purchase or at least a rent.

I would not bother trusting reviewers with making decisions whether or not you should get a game or not. If the game interests you and looks like it could provide you a good amount of enjoyment then go for it, just make sure you know what is a valid criticism and what is not whether you spoil the game for yourself or not if you still want input to help you make a decision.

It looks like I will be getting the 3DS version and the Wii U version, the 3DS version has made itself look a LOT more appealing to me. Just wow, the 2D Dimps levels improved a WHOLE lot in this game in my opinion and the 3D levels do not look bad either. Definitely a whole lot better job than before now that they had more time with this game than they did with Generations 3DS.

Last edited:
Now that I've gone ahead and played through more of the Wii U version of Lost World, found some secret levels and completed a reasonable amount of the red ring hunting I'm rather confused.

At first I thought the bad boss battles were a result of the game being rushed. Largely because the bosses weren't present in their respective levels when I played a demo during the summer or how almost all of them lack any sort of polish to support this. But there are quite a few secret levels with new graphic resources and gameplay ideas, so it's clear the development team had enough time to work on extras outside of the core game.

So what happened with those bosses? Why are they so unsubstantial, unpolished and just badly designed? Did Sonic Team just not get around to making them until the last months of development despite having time to make secret levels and had to rush them out the door?

From what I've watched so far of the HD version, it seems like the parkour system is a little wonky, but that's honestly one of the few bad things I can really say about the game other than that the final boss is a little disappointing. But... Oh wow...

During the last battle with Zavok, he pulls a total Bowser and grows to gargantuan size, trying to destroy the platforms you're on and spewing fireballs. The second battle with him in Sky Road was underwhelming, but he really felt like final boss material there. Excellent build-up and presentation there, to be sure.

Does the game provide the player with hints? Sometimes it seems like what you're supposed to do is a tad obscure, but that's the only other major flaw I could find with the game.

Has anybody figured out how to unlock the hidden acts in each zone?

Does the game provide the player with hints? Sometimes it seems like what you're supposed to do is a tad obscure, but that's the only other major flaw I could find with the game.

Somebody has summoned the presence of Omochao?

Jokes aside, this game does look pretty cool. I'm pretty bummed I didn't manage to get my hands on a Wii U like I planned too, but I guess the 3DS version looks fine too. A lot better than Generations 3DS, at the very least.

During the last battle with Zavok, he pulls a total Bowser and grows to gargantuan size, trying to destroy the platforms you're on and spewing fireballs. The second battle with him in Sky Road was underwhelming, but he really felt like final boss material there. Excellent build-up and presentation there, to be sure.

The charged homing attack absolutely wrecks bosses in this game. When you perform it the amount of circles that appear is the amount of hitpoints that is going to be shaved off. I do not know if they give you a hint on how to use it in game, you could tell that it is working when you see multiple circles around the enemies. It seems like Sonic Team did try to go back to the classic formula with bosses, but the charged homing attack did not seem to have been considered since the window to hit bosses seems to be long enough if they are ones that leave themselves vulnerable and the bosses who do not stay still in a dazed state do not really react to it either.

This is all based off what I observed and heard from people who livestreamed their playthrough or who just simply uploaded their walkthrough. Once the game comes out I will be able to see what is the deal myself.

What I do not get about the second battle with Zavok is why they do not make his combo attack more varied and have his block move work differently, but the whole atmosphere screams final boss. Later on in the fight it seems Zavok forgets about the bull charge completely and I do not know if the laser attack changes later in the fight either.

What I like about Zavok's giant phase is that he gives you a hint in the fight that preceded that one. In the first fight he stomps on those blocks which gives people the hint to do that in the next phase. I like that idea and I hope they come up with more unique ones in the next game.

If any of you guys play or have played the 3DS version (Whackjood?), I would love to hear your opinions. Not so much about how it compares to the Wii version, but rather how it compares to the 3DS library. I've been considering getting the game and would like to know a little more. I've read all the reviews on metacritic etc, but I don't generally agree with their opinions on platformers, especially those with any sort of technical difficulty involved.

Last edited:
If any of you guys play or have played the 3DS version (Whackjood?), I would love to hear your opinions.
I've only played the demo version, so I don't have any particular in depth opinions, sorry! Although from what little I've played, it seemed like a fairly competent platformer. But I have heard that the 3DS version special stages are gyro controlled and are terrible as a result.

I'm worried.

There's some low scores for Sonic Lost World, and I'm afraid it might not be as good as I thought it would be. But I guess I shouldn't be worried. If someone else doesn't like it, that's fine.

I'm worried.

There's some low scores for Sonic Lost World, and I'm afraid it might not be as good as I thought it would be. But I guess I shouldn't be worried. If someone else doesn't like it, that's fine.

Overall reception has been mostly mixed followed by positive reviews with the negative reviews being the lowest out of the three types. Then again reviews are just reviews, they can bring up valid points but it is ultimately up to you to see for yourself if the game is any good. All that really matters is if you enjoy the game.

From what I have seen it could use some improvements for next game, but does not look absolutely atrocious. How major are the problems is beyond me at this point as I have yet to play the game after it comes out on the 29th.

I just watched a walkthrough, and I must say I loved the story as whole.

Not gonna spoil anything, but man dat main character development on a long-term series.

I just watched a walkthrough, and I must say I loved the story as whole.

Not gonna spoil anything, but man dat main character development on a long-term series.

Is he still ADHD sonic from Sonic Colors most of the way through? Because I LOVE that depiction of Sonic. It was both hilarious and very fitting for him, I found. :P

got my hands on the 3DS version. Stayed up till 1:30 so I could get some hands on time with it.

After the first 6 levels and tutorial (the first 2 worlds), here's my take:

It's got some flaws, and they show kinda glaringly. However, it's still a LOT of fun.

As long as I get some more good levels like the first 3 (the desert world had a big difficulty spike and I didn't feel like I could abuse the Parkour that much), then I'll be quite happy with it.

Although those special stages are really stupid. Full on Gyro controls? REALLY? I mean, they're not HARD so far, but... Kinda annoying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back