Sonic Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, it seitches between 2D and 3D, it shouldn't, sonic sohuld never go back to 2D.
the controls are apparently bad(judging byy how everyone in videos have played it, >_>)
and it looks like you dash through the whole level without rrunning out of ring charge or whatever.

Let's wait for a more credible source of review, protector. He clearly hasn't played it. I haven't seen videos, but I'm guessing the Werehog levels would probably have the better level design.

For those tl;dr, I found a paragraph that says a lot:

That's not to say there isn't any kind of interaction, of course. There are parts of the levels that do show a glimpse of that old Sonic magic: making the perfect jump, hitting those bumper-jump pads that make that oh so satisfying noise. But then, he's off again, blasting on-rails through the level, occasionally smacking into an enemy or a pit of spikes that makes the rings you've been collecting on the way scatter around him. Worse still, you could find yourself plummeting into a pit. There is some satisfaction to be had learning each course, plotting your perfect route and honing your reactions to hit the jump at just the right time, or use the sensibly integrated sidestep, mapped to the shoulder buttons, to avoid that aforementioned pit. Unfortunately, the frustration felt on those first run-throughs can be too much to bear, particularly as you progress into tougher stages, where there is far too much trial and error for comfort. For Sonic Team, striking that balance between incredible speed and control remains as elusive as ever.

*waves hands furiously* OVER HERE, SONIC TEAM! WE HAVE GOOD IDEAS FOR DESIGN!

Average is not a surprising score, but reading the article didn't really help evaluate it much. It seemed like a very artistic but insubstantial review of the game. Using a little bit of color in an article is commendable, I would think, but here it just seems to dramatize each flaw and the rare graces, which give the overall appearance of the review being exaggerated. I can't tell if its bad because it had cheap deaths, if there is too much speed, if it is a "hold right to win" title (which is commonly said about Sonic Rush, but they said that was fun), if the werehog was stupidly derivative of God of War and Tomb Raider (haha I never would have paired those two with Sonic), or if the real reason the score took a hit was because of the nonlinear progression that involves collecting tokens along with the less-than-standard hub worlds. (I remember doing that in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, it didn't seem so bad there and is at least more refined than Secret Rings or NiGHTS submissions)

Comparing Werehog to Tomb Raider and God of War and labeling it as derivative seems a little unfair in my opinion, but it could be because my ears have been ringing with the shouts of "That doesn't belong in a Sonic game!". With their evaluations of the gameplay, I couldn't tell whether it was like Secret Rings or Rush... on-rails seems to be equated with 0-interaction, but their indication of reflex based challenges in later levels being unfair contradicts that.

So the review doesn't hold much credence in my opinion, but perhaps if the faults hinted are found by other reviewers, 5-7 is a fair rating. At any rate, I will be paying special attention to mention of how the speed-based gameplay is executed in future reviews, they did at least say the Werehog gameplay is okay at first...

Man, it seriously sucks, now, we got one stage removed for the PS2 and Wii versions, no fair. Please Sonic Team, no more stages removed...

Anyway, 5/10 isn't what it should have been for Sonic Unleashed, mainly because you won't either press always up and right (I'm sure of it), because of the day gameplay, and because of the night gameplay. Still there is a flaw in the night gameplay: normal enemies shouldn't have such a good resistance at attacks. We still didn't seen boss battles, which it's strange...

I heard Mazuri won't be taken fully out,it just has lots of it cut out.*It has a Gate stage and um...a boss thats it.

Also look at Ign,for readers reviews theirs one saying...

0/10

ITS A KIDZ GAME11

No really,thats what the review says..

The game just came out, guys. Wait a day or so before expecting some serious, fully fleshed out reviews and balanced scores.

[spoiler:e242032fcd]OMG CHIP IS LIGHT GAIA AND IN THE WII VERSION WE DON'T GET EMPIRE CITY OMG! But we do the rather kickass looking Eggmanland stage and a FULL STAGE boss battle with Dark Gaia! [/spoiler:e242032fcd]

*cough*

joeoflula said:
sonic sohuld never go back to 2D.
I lol'd.

Anyways, I'm planning on checking out the 360 version of the game, since the Wii version doesn't interest me as much. Looks too complicated.

Judging from the trailer they were showing on IGN, the Werehog levels look better than the regular levels simply because it appears that you actually play as Werehog rather than hold forward and press A occasionally. It appears as though there is less need for jumping than Sonic and the Secret Rings. Of course, I'm gonna actually have to play this to get a review.

I got a bad report card grade. Not grades, grade. I just thought I point that out. I cant go to the store and buy any games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back