• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Matrix Labyrinth Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows that you are not showing the rest of the level because it would be spoiling what would be in each room. People mostly are talking about the main level design. It was hard to distinguish if it was going to be a maze or a labyrinth.

The problem people may be talking about is no one wants to run through a confusing maze level that either has nothing interesting in it and/or has many design flaws what may have been confusing at first until you clarified what type of level you are making.

Another thing people may be talking about is not everyone wants to be forced to cooperate with another person in order to play the level because that person either would have no other choice but start their own server just to play a level or search for a server that is available AND is playing that level. A person being made to start their own server causes problems because the person would have to make a Static IP Adress which can be a problem for different personal reasons; being made to search for a server that is playing the level is a problem because no one will know who is playing it or when most if not all the time. Those two are one of the biggest things that can and will discourage a lot of people from playing the level if they cannot do either of the two for some reason.

Nobody is writing your level off as a terrible level that will not be good at all, or at least no one should be saying this is a terrible level since no one played the level. People are trying give criticism to make sure it is not a maze and to give suggestions on how to improve the level by going on what the screenshots show so you can correct them early on before you release it. Also, co-op levels do not tend to work because the "cooperation" is not always going to be cooperation since when the other player(s) die(s) the last one remaining will be stuck until the player catches up or finally starts to get through the level without dying so much. Also the players would have to depend on the one running the server gives a lot of extra lives if there are a lot of game overs. Also some people that join can be complete clowns or just cannot understand the directions clearly unless you bring a person who will seriously play through and is good at the level or even understands what to do.

No one is necessarily telling you to spoil the whole level by making something like a "Super Guide" how to get through the level and how to find all the secrets. It was just difficult to tell if you were making a maze or a labyrinth at first going by your second post and what were the main gimmicks in the level going by the screenshots and their desciption.

Last edited:
I really think you took this the wrong way. I was never even commenting on the level, I was commenting on the fact that you called it a maze. Seems like it was a misunderstanding, and it's now solved, so whatever.

I do have to ask though, why are you making a topic about the level when you said yourself that the screenshot don't give a good glimpse of it?

Re: Daywalker

Finally, someone who can make correct statements.

Also, I am gonna make a Single Player version once it's done, I didn't want to say anything about that, but I guess it's fine.

The only other things are:

1. I don't feel like making another post when I'm already over 80% done.

2. I will show the main parts, and designs when I release it, on that post.

3. The original intention, was to have it so the user and a few friends could play through the level. Which basically means: Player 1 and Player 2 are at the normal start, Player 3, and Player 4 are in the control tower (Optional), and Player 3, and Player 4 can use the control towers to annoy, help, and kill, the other players.

And finally 4. I didn't really wanna show level design, because it's really random, but at the same time, it's really basic, if you get what I'm talking about. It's just basically a building, like colony, in (HAXED), with four floors.

Also, just as a reminder, this is going to be a three level trilogy type thing, which I'll release one at a time. Each level will have four floors, next to the fourth wall, OWAIT.

And basically, this is gonna be REALLY annoying to make... You know, FOFs are annoying when you get in the 200s, and on. o_O

I hope everyone who reads this will understand, this level really isn't all that bad, and I'm not showing the rest of it, because I'm near the end of 'Matrix Labyrinth Zone Act 1'.

Now can all of this stop? I really don't feel like going on talking about this.

I'll show more for the next act, so please, enough already.

Also, I don't get how any Sonic fan can confuse a 'Labyrinth' with a 'Maze', It's pretty obvious that they're different.

Also, you mind using commas every once in a while? It was a bit annoying to see how many places should have better grammar, no offense or anything, I just don't like it when commas aren't used the way they were intended.

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

I really think you took this the wrong way. I was never even commenting on the level, I was commenting on the fact that you called it a maze. Seems like it was a misunderstanding, and it's now solved, so whatever.

I do have to ask though, why are you making a topic about the level when you said yourself that the screenshot don't give a good glimpse of it?

I wanted to see if anyone liked the concept, and to see if anyone would like the idea of making another level like Labyrinth Zone, from Sonic 1, only 3D, much more futuristic, not as annoying, but annoying, IT DOESN'T HAVE THAT ENEMY! and doesn't have water, besides two small areas, but I'm again, not gonna spoil it.

Also, that enemy I was talking about was 'Orbinaut'. Never used to give me Problems, but now it does. o_O

Anyway, I hope this whole "Is it a crappy maze, or not?" thing is over.

Finally, someone who can make correct statements.
Oh can you please stop that? You're implying that everybody except Daywalker is stupid. In general, you have implied a few times that everything that you don't agree with is wrong.

Also, I don't get how any Sonic fan can confuse a 'Labyrinth' with a 'Maze', It's pretty obvious that they're different.

And you do have to remember, it's called 'Matrix Labyrinth Zone' so it's made to be filled with traps, secrets, random enemies, and it's supposed to be a maze.

I know by now that you didn't mean to say "maze" here, but this is the reason several people were talking about a maze in the first place.

Oh can you please stop that? You're implying that everybody except Daywalker is stupid. In general, you have implied a few times that everything that you don't agree with is wrong.

I know by now that you didn't mean to say "maze" here, but this is the reason several people were talking about a maze in the first place.

I wasn't trying to mean that, I meant he's pretty much the only person who gave actual advice, and originally the only one who really cared.

Also this:

211xg1.jpg

Do you even know who Weegee is?
It's this overrated and overdone meme. :P

Well, yeah, he kinda was the only one giving advice, mainly because he already said everything that could be said. But I don't wanna start a war or anything, inf act, I'm looking forward to this and will give you my review when it's done.

you can not at all say my level is bad in any way at all
-_-

I never said your level is bad. I might've said your level concept sounds bad, but if I implied that I thought your level was bad, I apologize.

But really, what's wrong with a comment here and there based on first looks. "That's confusing, bleh" can usually be skipped over if the person hasn't played it, but little comments such as "searching for the exit is bad" or "that room could use a bit of graphical polish" or GOD FORBID "that looks a little small" are the kind of comments that, even coming from someone who hasn't played the level yet, aren't meant to try to demean you or your level. We're all a community helping each other out (for the most part).

I'm not saying you have to take the advice. I'm saying lighten up a bit.

And by the by, as far as floors; are you using elevators to move between them? You could use a relative teleport to move the player to a different location so they think they're still in the same spot, but at the same time reducing the amount of FOFs needed. (You could do the same with anything, but an elevator, especially a completely sealed elevator, is the easiest to disguise it with.)

-_-

I never said your level is bad. I might've said your level concept sounds bad, but if I implied that I thought your level was bad, I apologize.

But really, what's wrong with a comment here and there based on first looks. "That's confusing, bleh" can usually be skipped over if the person hasn't played it, but little comments such as "searching for the exit is bad" or "that room could use a bit of graphical polish" or GOD FORBID "that looks a little small" are the kind of comments that, even coming from someone who hasn't played the level yet, aren't meant to try to demean you or your level. We're all a community helping each other out (for the most part).

I'm not saying you have to take the advice. I'm saying lighten up a bit.

And by the by, as far as floors; are you using elevators to move between them? You could use a relative teleport to move the player to a different location so they think they're still in the same spot, but at the same time reducing the amount of FOFs needed. (You could do the same with anything, but an elevator, especially a completely sealed elevator, is the easiest to disguise it with.)

I'm glad we finally got this straitened out.

And also, I'm using a seamless teleporter, if you know how it works, good. If you don't: You might want to learn how to do it, it's good for having a lot of areas in one map, and it reduces lag. If you look at the screenshots I got full 35FPS in OpenGL, besides one screenshot, but that can't be helped because fraps was in a sense checking my framerate, and it more or less lags for a second when starting an SRB2 map. so it went up from 0. So full speed on SRB2 in OpenGL with the seamless teleporters is good, because when I was trying other teleporters besides a seamless teleporter, it went down to 16-30 FPS. So not too big of an improvement. And I don't know why but for a few people, it doesn't matter framerate-wise. I don't know why my framerate is better, but who knows. I know I did make the control sectors closer, which reduces lag, but I don't know, it seemed like it was the seamless teleporter, making it not lagy.

So I pretty much made it so you go to an elevator, you go in it, the door closes for about 10-15 seconds max. And then you get teleported to another area with the same exact teleporter, only using different textures, tagged different, and on another floor. And then the door opens again, it's pretty simple.

I hope that makes sense. Also, the teleporters aren't 100% seamless, they have problems, but they aren't really any issue in terms of gameplay

Also, if you want an example of it, you can go look at Mike's city, in the house of randomness.

Note: Mike = Michael = SonicFreak94 = SF94. Mike's city = SF94-City.

Last edited:
I don't know about him, but if I was a mapper, I would want opinions. I can't stop him from doing anything anyway.

He does want opinions, on how to make his levels better and possibly look better. Not to change the entire levels to how one user wants it to be therefore changing his original level.

He does want opinions, on how to make his levels better and possibly look better. Not to change the entire levels to how one user wants it to be therefore changing his original level.

1. You can not say what I want, and do not want. What's wrong with you?!

2. This whole thing is over, don't start more RAGE.

3. I never really said what you were stating. I want all of the criticism I can get, but not until the level is done.

And yes, I don't want to get bad criticism, from people wanting me to remake the entire level.

Note: Bad criticism does not mean people saying "Mean" things about me, or my map. What I mean is: People who have no idea what they're talking about, and people telling me my level sucks with no reason behind it.

Don't try to start something, that doesn't need to be started up again.

Now stop trying to control me, and stop saying that I want something, when I don't, or don't want yet.

I only want criticism about the bit I showed, not what there is to come.

So please, don't start this whole thing again. I really don't feel like being annoyed, and neither does anyone else. (As far as I know)

Last edited:
We should all wait till the level is out. Then all the smart, dumb, know-it-all, and experienced people can start commenting when they actually play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back