Suggestions

It would change how dropped rings would work. That's a core part of the game. You could simply start charging a spindash and seriously threaten anyone who tried to take your stuff.
As I've said multiple times already, only a fast moving spindash would cause damage. A slow one or a charging one would have no effect, like what happens now.

If it was nullified when temporarily invincible, then it would simply be an important part of the game to know exactly how long temporary invincibility lasts so you could connect with them on exactly the frame when it wears off, so they have no chance to shoot you out of it.
Are you actually serious? This is a bullshit argument, because as it is you can already "know exactly how long temporary invincibilty lasts" in order to shoot someone the instant they become tangible again. This isn't any more abusive.

This is exactly it. Players WOULD expect the jumping, gliding, and even Tails's flight to deal damage if the spindash did. In single player, all of those things deal damage and the afterimage trail makes no difference at all. Why would it be any different in multiplayer?
By this logic, you must've had hundreds, nay, thousands of questions asking why Sonic can't shoot rings in single player mode. Fun thing, though, there's actually a console variable for this! Why not have one for melee attacks in match, then?

The spin trail is as good of a visual cue as any. You're free to think about another one if you so desire, but why look for something we already have?

I spindash into you and you spindash into me. We should bounce. If I jump, do you bounce off me then as well? You did in SA2, which is the only example I can think of where players got to interact in that manner. How do you deal with clashes where players melee attack into each other?
I think you misunderstand me. Just like the weapon rings, I never intended for the players to have any real mass to them. Just like you can't bounce off red rings by firing more rings at them, players spinning into players shouldn't bounce off or anything. Either they both take damage, or they go through each other. Whichever works best.

Also, please stop using Sonic Adventure 2's versus battles in place of an argument. Jumping/thokking/gliding/yawning isn't supposed to damage players. Only spinning on the ground, and even then only when over a certain speed.

What I'm trying to say is that more than just the character balance hinges on the fact that players can't attack each other without powerups or rings. That kind of change would dramatically alter the gameplay, not just provide a small addition in how the player could attack other players.
So... kind of how Match was "dramatically altered" from 1.09.4 to 2.0? Why is it that we can't just take the wheel and add a few touches without rebuilding the entire thing from scratch?

And what of just shooting them before they get close? Why haven't you refuted that point yet? It certaintly seems the more logical thing to do for me, considering just about anyone is restricted to a near-straight line when rolling or even thokking.
This is exactly what I mentioned earlier. You hit someone, and they start charging a spindash so they connect with you just as their invincible period is up. So what? You can counter it exactly the same way you do right now, by shooting a ring so it connects with them just as their invincible period is up.

In the case the player has rings around him, it would always be a better choice to try and shoot back rather than start a spindash, since rings can be shot in the invincible period and the spin dash would have no effect. So, in essence, yes, the spin dash would be usable as a last measure, but it's so ridiculously easy countered that it's perfect for a humiliation-style bonus.

Just add a little Doomface icon on the HUD that shows your current sprite in frontal view. Bam.
You could also just tint the whole screen with the color of the spin trail, hinting that the player is invincible. As the spin trail wears off, the screen returns to normal, signaling that the player is once again vulnerable.

By far, the most effective way to do this would be to thok at someone from outsider their viewpoint and spin directly into them. They would have very little time to hear the thok SFX, point at you and fire, and your accuracy is going to be pretty low if you miss. If you succeed, you'll have just pulled off a complete steal of all their items.
And what, pray tell, was this sad individual doing? Just standing still, out in the open?

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to thok at and spin into a moving player in SRB2? I can most certainly assure you that in any such circumstance, you would much more easily be able to shoot the player instead of lining up perfectly to run him over. The only truth you do hold, is that players can do this with or without rings (though as you must also know, running around in SRB2 match with no rings is fairly close to comitting suicide).

Honestly, I'd say even just having it as a default to off gimmick would be nice, I mean, it's far less game breaking than, say, sudden death. If having it default to off is such a problem, then surely sudden death is far more of an issue?

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but there really needs to be an "addfiles" command. This would be useful for adding multiple files at a time in-game. It's kind of annoying to have to "addfile blah.wad" "addfile asdf.wad" "addfile thing.wad" etc, etc. Now I know that this can be gone around by using the wad launcher, but that does not seem to work for me, and since it doesn't work for me, I'm assuming that it doesn't work for other people.

Don't even get me started on sudden death. It is the single most ridiculously stupid thing in SRB2. It doesn't help that it's treated as a legal way to play the game. How can you have any fun with it?

That's why nobody ever plays sudden death. I can actually see a server enabling melee attacks. Even if it does upset the game balance a bit, I don't see what would be wrong with allowing it as a console variable.

Don't even get me started on sudden death. It is the single most ridiculously stupid thing in SRB2. It doesn't help that it's treated as a legal way to play the game. How can you have any fun with it?
Well, it was the best way to prevent the "furry shield" exploit in Hide & Seek - you know, the glitch where one player protects another with his post-hit invulnerability. I'm pretty sure the staff were onto fixing that properly though, last I checked. I'd have less of a problem with it if it didn't double the score gained for each kill.

timelimit 3, and in no more than one round occasionally. Or just in Tag/H&S (fix double points bug plz).

Also it makes people die like piñatas.

The problem with sudden death is that it removes all the strategy behind weapon rings, shields, etc. The game is simplified to "shoot people and don't get shot", for which you might as well go back and play Demo 4.35.

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but there really needs to be an "addfiles" command. This would be useful for adding multiple files at a time in-game. It's kind of annoying to have to "addfile blah.wad" "addfile asdf.wad" "addfile thing.wad" etc, etc. Now I know that this can be gone around by using the wad launcher, but that does not seem to work for me, and since it doesn't work for me, I'm assuming that it doesn't work for other people.
addfile blah.wad; addfile asdf.wad; addfile thing.wad

Problem solved. Or make a script.

When playing in a Co-op server and get into a special stage, whenever a player fail by falling into a pit (or whatever), only the player which fell will not be able to move anymore, but the rest which didn't fail still can move and get the rings, when everyone fall out, they are out of the special stage, pretty simple, isn't it?

I decided to suggest this because I'm sick of going into coop servers where there's always someone that fall into a blank space... I mean, pit and screws up things to everyone

A linedef executor or sector type that activates once entered and raises or lowers the volume of the music. This could make some interesting effects in caves and such. If it is a linedef type, the maximum is 200 fracunits long and the minimum is 1-4 fracunits long. Each fracunit is a percent.

Another one is a MIDI feature which has another track of a specific name which isn't played normally, but is played when underwater muting the normal one. Another music effect that can make people feel underwater. If the track in't found, it plays as normal.

Linedef type: Number of Laps - Once/Continuous

Activates effects in race mode once the leader advances to a specified lap.

RVZ1 is too short; it needs more sections to it...

Here's one idea for it I came up with this afternoon:

A section with a lava river, where you ride a thing along it, avoiding obsacles such as flamethrowers along the way to the end, controlling yourself similarly to when you're in a DSZ waterslide.

Now why does this idea make me think of Rayman 2?

RVZ1 is too short; it needs more sections to it...

Here's one idea for it I came up with this afternoon:

A section with a lava river, where you ride a thing along it, avoiding obsacles such as flamethrowers along the way to the end, controlling yourself similarly to when you're in a DSZ waterslide.

Now why does this idea make me think of Rayman 2?

RVZ1 is a pretty long zone imo, those things should be in RVZ2, yeah. And you're saying RVZ is short, what about THZ?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back