SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Characters (2.0.X)

[NOW UPDATED!] Playable Crawla Details »»
[NOW UPDATED!] Playable Crawla
Developer Last Online: Nov 2014

Version: SRB2 Rating:
Released: 02-28-2011 Last Update: Never Installs: 3
Characters SOCs Sprites/Graphics

After 3 attempts at a playable crawla wad, I have created a super crawla. This red crawla is equipted blue armor plates, an eye on his back and extra decoration. If you view him from the very front, he flips down his protective eye cover. This crawla's ability is float, caused by his engines on his back. (Please note: the eye cover is only visible from the very front).

The story goes like this:
Dr. Eggman wanted to create a minion with the intellegence ability to be able to use strategy and wits to be able to crush sonic and his friends. A simple mindless drone could not cut it. After much research and development, Eggman had created a super crawla with the capability to wipe out Sonic! Gifting him with Jets and armor, and state of the art programming; he released his creation. Perhaps Eggman gave his new creation more intelligence than it needed; the crawla's programming had evolved to the point that it realized it was meant for better things. Going rogue and destroying portions of the Egg Rock; it earned itself a stay in a presumably indestructible laser prison. Well, the prision was not indestructible. Now he fights alongside Sonic as a hired mercenary; defending his strict sense of justice.

New in Version 2.0
1) Crawla has been slowed down
2) Custom white spintrail
3) Flame Jets on spring-jump frames
4) Crawla Commander superframes
5) Custom CTF Flag
6) New Character Selection Pic

Used thing slots and state slots
Spoiler:
Thing 318 and State 1792, sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

Download Now

File Type: zip PlayableCrawlav2.0.zip (56.3 KB, 1880 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20076.png
Views:	2089
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1447   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20077.png
Views:	1582
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1448   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20078.png
Views:	1636
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1449   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20079.png
Views:	1427
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1450   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20423.png
Views:	1591
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1547  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20424.png
Views:	1247
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1548   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20425.png
Views:	1146
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1549  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-11-2011   #82
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids
Judge

Hm, I believe there were plans to make it shoot missiles and lay mines, but those were dropped I think. If so, then yes, it really has nothing going for it.
Old 05-11-2011   #83
Shiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majro View Post
Well, seeing this wad makes me think: What is so special about this that would make people play as it? Sure, there are a lot of clones, but those characters are mostly those that people want to play as. This, on the other hand is just an edit of a badnik. Of course, then again, the characters can be unique. This, however, isn't even unique. Sure, it has hover, but that's about it. One could say that it's a dumb idea to release such thing, but it's probably even stupider to think of something like this.
Wow, lots of appositives!

If he adds more stuff to it, like Charyb said, it could be much more fun.
Old 05-11-2011   #84
jcokeinfinity
CYA

Quote:
Well, seeing this wad makes me think: What is so special about this that would make people play as it? Sure, there are a lot of clones, but those characters are mostly those that people want to play as. This, on the other hand is just an edit of a badnik. Of course, then again, the characters can be unique. This, however, isn't even unique. Sure, it has hover, but that's about it. One could say that it's a dumb idea to release such thing, but it's probably even stupider to think of something like this.
I have a question, where's your awesome release? Because you sit back and say how stupid my release is without offering any tips; while at the same time you haven't released anything! This is yet another blatent form of mindless insults and hypocrisy.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdizs View Post
Hm, I believe there were plans to make it shoot missiles and lay mines, but those were dropped I think. If so, then yes, it really has nothing going for it.
I actually spent a month trying to develop these concepts, sorry if they didn't work out. Someday I might perfect the coding
Old 05-11-2011   #85
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcokeinfinity View Post
I have a question, where's your awesome release? Because you sit back and say how stupid my release is without offering any tips; while at the same time you haven't released anything! This is yet another blatent form of mindless insults and hypocrisy.
Except it's not.
People are perfectly allowed to give criticism without having made anything themselves. An eye experienced in making art isn't necessarily needed to give good criticism, it is only needed that they have experienced art enough to know what is good or bad. In other words, he is perfectly allowed to give criticism because he has played SRB2, seen other character wads, and developed an eye for the good and the bad in it. That's not hypocrisy at all.

And he certainly wasn't insulting you. He was simply asking "Why? There's nothing special about it."
That's not an insult, it was a piece of criticism saying "Add something to this to make it unique, something that people will look at and say 'Cool! I'm SO playing as him!'"

Quote:
One could say that it's a dumb idea to release such thing, but it's probably even stupider to think of something like this.
Actually, he may even have been insulting you when he said this one sentence out of many. But, sheesh, get a thicker skin. It was probably just something stupid he said, not realizing that more is planned for this.

And again, I say, look at Soonata to figure out how to make things shoot. Sure, I'm not knowledgeable in coding myself, but if SpaceKGreen did it, why can't you?
Old 05-11-2011   #86
jcokeinfinity
CYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdizs View Post
Except it's not.
People are perfectly allowed to give criticism without having made anything themselves. An eye experienced in making art isn't necessarily needed to give good criticism, it is only needed that they have experienced art enough to know what is good or bad. In other words, he is perfectly allowed to give criticism because he has played SRB2, seen other character wads, and developed an eye for the good and the bad in it. That's not hypocrisy at all.

And he certainly wasn't insulting you. He was simply asking "Why? There's nothing special about it."
That's not an insult, it was a piece of criticism saying "Add something to this to make it unique, something that people will look at and say 'Cool! I'm SO playing as him!'"

Actually, he may even have been insulting you when he said this one sentence out of many. But, sheesh, get a thicker skin. It was probably just something stupid he said, not realizing that more is planned for this.

And again, I say, look at Soonata to figure out how to make things shoot. Sure, I'm not knowledgeable in coding myself, but if SpaceKGreen did it, why can't you?
It's not exactly easy to code a shooting action into a spindash without the bullet being destroyed as soon as it spawns. And my offense to what this guy said is that he just came in and told me how stupid my wad is without even giving me a suggestion of what he wants!
Old 05-12-2011   #87
Yoshi
Randomly found avatar

So jcokeinfinity is overreacting again? Calm down dude. Also Majro as Spirit Crusher (or maybe someone else) already wrote here its released, because itīs working it isnīt recolor and people may like it. Donīt forget itīs not finished yet, i trust this character will still get better.
Old 05-12-2011   #88
jcokeinfinity
CYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
So jcokeinfinity is overreacting again? Calm down dude.
It's not overreating if I can back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
Only give constructive criticism. If you are sharing your opinion on something, give reasoning as to why.
People can get infractions for coming in and saying how stupid something is without offering any options to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majro
Sure, it has hover, but that's about it. One could say that it's a dumb idea to release such thing, but it's probably even stupider to think of something like this.
First of all this guy must have forgot about other new things added to this wad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playable Crawla's Description
New in Version 2.0
3) Flame Jets on spring-jump frames
4) Crawla Commander superframes
5) Custom CTF Flag
Second, coming in and saying that the developer (me) has blatently stupid ideas and that I don't know what I'm doing also breaks forum rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
Immaturity will not be tolerated. Think before you post and use some common sense.
Old 05-12-2011   #89
Majro
Incognito

Well, then. Let me try again. All you managed to do was editing sprites that are already in the game. How do you fix that? My suggestion would be coming up with completely new sprites and not just edit ones that already exist.
Quote:
New in Version 2.0
3) Flame Jets on spring-jump frames 4) Crawla Commander superframes
5) Custom CTF Flag
The only change here that matters is Crawla being slower. The rest are just graphic changes. Having Crawla shoot is a bit interesting, but pointless in levels with no enemies, like RVZ or ERZ1.
Old 05-12-2011   #90
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

What sense would it make to draw new Crawla sprites just for this character WAD? They'd be bound to be recolors.
Old 05-12-2011   #91
Virt
Trollerskates

Quote:
My suggestion would be coming up with completely new sprites and not just edit ones that already exist.
Hey, people liked the Eggman WAD, and it was just sprites directly from the game. I'm perfectly fine with this Crawla, personally.
Old 05-14-2011   #92
jcokeinfinity
CYA

Quote:
Well, then. Let me try again. All you managed to do was editing sprites that are already in the game. How do you fix that? My suggestion would be coming up with completely new sprites and not just edit ones that already exist.
The only change here that matters is Crawla being slower. The rest are just graphic changes. Having Crawla shoot is a bit interesting, but pointless in levels with no enemies, like RVZ or ERZ1.
How am I supposed to make a playable crawla wad without editing the crawla sprites? I also think we can overlook the 2 levels that a shooting ability would be useless in.

Your also contridicting yourself, you said that the crawla sprites were unoriginal; yet you complain about the update only have graphics changes!

Last edited by jcokeinfinity; 05-14-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2011   #93
Yoshi
Randomly found avatar

Maybe he thinks sprites are unoriginal even with updates. I agree you shouldnīt change sprites, just concentrate on that shooting please, that would make this character even better then itīs now.
Old 05-16-2011   #94
jcokeinfinity
CYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Maybe he thinks sprites are unoriginal even with updates. I agree you shouldnīt change sprites, just concentrate on that shooting please, that would make this character even better then itīs now.
It's easier said than done, I've spent about a month trying to program in a shooting action; if someone would give me help, maybe it could be done.
Old 05-18-2011   #95
Dails
Now playing more with Sonic

I'll try making a match server with this char and forcing whoever joins to turn into one of those. That would be funny.
Old 11-29-2011   #96
jcokeinfinity
CYA

After much consideration, I have decided to end this project. When 2.1 comes out, I will create another crawla character, this time more awesome. I have recently taken a class on photoshop so, hasta lavista paint!
Old 04-23-2012   #97
jcokeinfinity
CYA

I've lost mah flash drive with the original work for this wad on it! :P
A completely different crawla wad is in order once 1.2 comes out.
Sorry I've been gone for so long, I've been playing Minecraft.
Old 05-05-2012   #98
Terra
Needy child

Sorry, you mean "once 2.1 comes out." not "1.2".
Spoiler: Off-Topic
Oh, and Minecraft rules.
Old 05-05-2012   #99
filio

Correcting someone after a week isn't that helpful...