v2.0 Match/CTF Preview (Updated July 1st, 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team rings are only in the team base, to stop campers. Normal rings will still be in the rest of the level.

Mystic said:
Making good match maps is a LOT harder now, it's not as simple as just expanding one section. Expect to see a lot of really unplayable contest maps now, to be blunt, and not just the kind that look like someone doesn't know what they're doing.

Could you make them the same way as 1.09.4 if 1) you make no weapon rings, and 2) you place all the Chaos Emerald spawn points inside unreachable control sectors? No, it wouldn't be an INTERESTING level, but that's not my question.

Well, that would be making it like Demo 2, but yeah, you could do that I guess. I'll note that you don't need to place emerald spawns. The level will operate fine without them, but it's obviously suggested since you can turn off emerald spawns in the game's options.

Is it possible to have a map where you need less/more emeralds? i.e., if a map only has 5 emerald spawns, will turning super not work, or will you be able to do so once you get the 5 emeralds?

You only need one spawn on the map, technically. If you do that, all seven emeralds will spawn in that exact location, one at a time.

You gentlemen do realize that having only one emerald spawn point on the map is not a good idea since it invites people to camp at that spot.

MattW_CFI said:
Spazzo said:
You won't be able to go super. You need to play a minimum of 7 spawns.
Wrong, silly Spazzo! =P

You only need one spawn on the map, technically. If you do that, all seven emeralds will spawn in that exact location, one at a time.
I can imagine a map that's a simple circle arena with a few floating platforms, and 1 emerald spawn in the middle. It would be pretty chaotic.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Well, yeah, it's a bad idea, no duh. But the point is, it DOES work that way.

Chaos Knux said:
The team rings are only in the team base, to stop campers. Normal rings will still be in the rest of the level.

So even if a person is hit while loaded on their rings, they'll drop normal ones?

DarthJunior said:
So even if a person is hit while loaded on their rings, they'll drop normal ones?
Correct, you can still pick up rings dropped by the opponent in their base. The trick is that if they hit you in their own base and they pick up your rings, you have to leave because you can't get any rings, while if they hit you in your own base and take your stuff, a restock is right there to help you.

Are team rings Thing Types, or do rings and ring monitors placed in the Red/Blue Team Base sectors automatically become team rings?

Then I will make it a point in a map that I will someday make to put red team rings in the blue base and vice versa. :D

Kancsar said:
Weird how nobody asked this one:

How's the Tag gametype going? Is the point system fixed?

Well when I was younger and played tag in real life, there was never any clear winner. I'm not sure if we really need a point system. But that's up to the Developers.

Mabye the point system should be a time system. It would be counting time when you ARE it, and when the roung is over, the person with the shortest time of being it wins.

Also, should there be a hide-and-seek gametype, or people can just use tag?

Or i was saying un-understandable stuff, or you guys don't get what i'm saying.

In v1.09.4 the point system is broken, where in the intermission screen, everybody's score was 0, because the game counted our score, like if we were in coop mode! Also, if we advance to a new map, the score doesn't reset, so using pointlimit will make a map be over on the moment someone hits someone!

That is what i'm asking, if that is being fixed?

EDIT: Ok, i figured out what i was supposed to say: umm...Tag Scoring System?

By the way, are there Linedef Executors for Match, CTF, Coop, SP, and Tag mode yet? All we have right now is for Race, and that's not the only game mode where you'd want to change something.

I hope the rest of the staff don't mind if I say a few words about tag, I'm pretty sure that there's no reason to keep it secret especially because the emphasis is not on tag.

Jazz has contributed quite a significant update to the tag mode but to what extent it has been polished I'm not entirely sure, because the emphasis for now is on match and ctf. (and bugfixing... eww) It is my understanding that none of the other multiplayer gametypes (race and coop) have really been touched for the same reason.

You've probably already seen some of it in the tag mod for 1.09.4. Obviously the scoring system is less broken, but its still not perfect, and Knuckles is easy to abuse in the hide and seek gametype. Mappers can design levels around tag and hope to get better results than before, but the only ones available for it now were optimized for a different gametype and thus may not always work. (such as Meadow Match *shudders*)

So short answer for the TLDR: Tag mode has been improved but its not going to be as polished as match/ctf. Had it not been for this update, it probably would have been canned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back