Wad Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES YOU DID JOIN MY NETGAME. i know it. i remember saying hi! ur the first person to actually join my netgame!

Again, you two didn't steal each other's ideas. Great minds think alike, the old saying says!
You just thought of a brilliant idea that noone thought of before, then when you announce it, you find that someone else allready has.

Funny, I'm making a level a lot like that, with a forest, building complex, cave, icy, underground lake, and a secret area that is a sort of ring jackpot.

.....Only mine's upside-down!

its called distorted reality... you gave it to me on irc didnt you?

I am officially warning you all. This is the stupidest argument I've seen in a while now. Stop acting like a bunch of 6 year olds in a school playground and act mature, or you can act immature somewhere other than this forum.

"Stealing" ideas can also be called "inspiration". I have been inspired by other people's work many times. Stealing another person's work is copying and pasting other people's work and using it without permission or saying it is your own. If you both created a similar level, it's probable that you both came up with it independently, but if one person DID copy the other, no biggie, really. Whichever one is better will generally win out.

My favorite idea is that of a turret room. Turret rooms are fun to make for any factory level, especially if you can somehow make it really hard for Tails and Knuckles to 'cheat' by flying around to the end.
I recently made a level with a turret room, in fact. Lightbulb Factory Act 1 is finally complete! :D I'm trying to make a 3-act factory level, but I don't know if I can make it... I made 2 custom enemys for this level: PSO-like turret things that pop up out of the ground, shoot you, and disappear again, and bats that fly around similer to Jetty-Syns but more/less annoyingly.

JTE, I like that a lot...the original enemies make it MUCH more interesting. I really don't like the music, though, but that's just me.

Heh, that was a really fun level, I like how you managed to make a turret room that isn't cheap and annoying :). The rooms that light up were pretty cool, too. The music could have been better, though..
A level like that would fit in perfectly with PSO :P

Say! Not bad! I havn't cracked this open in DB yet, but I have some suggestions:
  • Why not set the lightbulb rooms to "Inside Sector", instead of "Touch Floor"? That way, you are assured that the lights will turn on in that room.
  • How about making two sectors in those rooms? So that you would go into one room, go into the next, and have the light in the first room go out.
I for one didn't mind the music much. It was rather cool in my opinion. But, it does have a tendancy to surprise you.

hotdog003 said:
I have some suggestions:
  • Why not set the lightbulb rooms to "Inside Sector", instead of "Touch Floor"? That way, you are assured that the lights will turn on in that room.
  • How about making two sectors in those rooms? So that you would go into one room, go into the next, and have the light in the first room go out.
I for one didn't mind the music much. It was rather cool in my opinion.
Actually, the whole level was designed around that music. I was bored so I messed around with Sonic Battle's music a bit trying to make it sound better... That's a double speed Collisium tune right there, in wav format (I have it converted to ogg now, thanks to Shuffle). If you play it in XWE, it plays at normal speed so you can recognise it again ^_^' I might use other music if you can convince me it's good enough... As for the suggestions above...
  • I wanted it that way. That's why there's such a long way to the floor to start with. In some harder difficultys, there are those annoying pop up turret things in those rooms that you can't see with the lights out.
  • You mean make it so that only your room is lit up? I was going to do that, but instead I decided to make the last room turn the others off instead.
The lightbulb rooms, the pounding section before the turret elevator, and the fog on the outside were mostly inspired by my recent Srb2 Xmas and Srb2 Ween conversions, which is why it fits so well with this topic I guess.
I made an updated version with the small ogg music and some minor changes here:
http://JTE.rose-manor.net/LightbulbFactory.wad
This wad will be updated as I work on it, but I'll leave the zip as-is for historical purposes. Or something. :)

Hmm... Jason, I think you should put some kind of base at the bottom of the sprite for the turret or something so you know it's there.. it's kinda annoying when you are hit by something that you can't see, and a base would make it at least somewhat noticable :P.

I was thinking of using the last frame so you could only see it's head, you know? But the thing is, it MOVES while it's invisible, and I don't want you to know where it'll pop up next. I would make it intangable while it's invisible, but 1.08 isn't really good in the area of Mobj Actions, you know... And Boss 2's invincibilerize thing doesn't work on anything without the Boss 2 programming, which sucks...

Well, it goes underground, follows you a little bit (but it's slow) and then it pops up again when it's close... At least, that's what I SOCed it to do. Ever go after one and miss because it moved a few inches out of the way? I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back