• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mystical Heavens level pack UPDATE JFZ1v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.... just no.... this level pack is STILL awful. And this is because you are doing it all WRONG.

Doing several levels at once is the wrong thing to do when doing a level pack. Mark my words, you must not do that. All other level packs always do just a single act at a time. Mystic Realm did one act at a time, Blue Heaven did one act at a time, Acid Missile did one act at a time... you're trying to do EVERY SINGLE STAGE at once.

Also, the above mentioned level packs started as compilations of their creator's earlier levels. They never started as the said level pack. For example, the first two acts of Jade Coast Zone in MR, were created BEFORE Mystic even had any plan on creating Mystic Realm. (Back then they were Crawla Valley and Coastal Shores Zones) Several Blue Heaven levels were also created before Tets even thought of creating Blue Heaven. Some were entered into OLDCs for instance. They later became Blue Heaven. You're jumping straight into the level pack, which is also the wrong thing to do.

If you want Mystical Heavens to be a successful level pack, you should do what Mystic and Tets did with Mystic Realm and Blue Heaven:

First, scrap Mystical Heavens. However, this does NOT mean you're giving up. Keep all record of the level pack when you scrap it, you'll be coming back to it.

Although you will no longer be working on Mystical Heavens, keep working on the levels you will include in it, but only work on a SINGLE ACT at a time.

For example, work on JFZ1, and ignore ALL other acts. once JFZ1 is 100% complete, work on JFZ2. When that is 100% work on TPZ1, and so on.

Once you have approx 3 Zones ALL 100% complete, continue Mystical Heavens, using these 3 Zones, and work on the rest, ONE ACT AT A TIME, adding them into the pack at 100% completion for each.

PS: Scrap TUNES 33 and 60. MIDIs of the old CEZ boss and Lava Reef 1 are NOT a good idea. In fact, you should NOT use any MIDIs. You should also scrap ALL SRB1 tunes, being MIDIs, except for Knothole Base Zone, they just don't work well with SRB2 tunes. Use one or the other, not both.

Last edited:
Here's v0.6: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e225f162bf9d58ec90a82c7bb0fad7adcc1c18cb88bbb680d6e38d13f15c3e80
I completely redid TPZ's texture set, added a very glitchy part of Quiksand Woods, and fixed some stuff in JFZ1 & 2. Try in the console "tunes 33" or "tunes 60"!

...Are you actually listening to any of the advice that we are trying to give you? STOP UPDATING IT! There really is nothing that you can do to save these "levels"; scrap it, and start again; one act at a time, just like VX501 said. Make sure you know what makes a QUALITY level before you start working on one, as well. It is no fun trudging through a terrible level that is only less than 50% complete, especially if only half the sectors have a proper thok barrier. There is no reason to release anything if you are not going to listen to, or even consider, any of the advice/criticism that we give you.

PS: do you test your creations before you release them?

Last edited:
Yes, it would. After school today, I'm going to work on JFZ1 ONLY. Any suggestions for what JFZ1 should have in it?

Why are you being SO impatient? Nobody knows that you made that post off the top of their head, some people are at school. :/

Here are some ideas...

Give it some wide open space at the begining, with some different paths.
Keep the player interested with details, don't break your back trying to learn to make many gimmicks.
Don't go over board with sceenery, yet don't put too little.
Take your time to make stuff make sence. When using those springs in the act before, they were going REDICULIOSLY HIGH, make the floors higher too.
Can't really give ideas I already gave. :/

There's a ton of ideas existing already in SRB2 and it's better level packs. Study them and use them as inspiration for your own, original ideas. Then we'll tell you if we like them or not. It's your effort, after all.

And if your updates aren't really updates, don't release them. Give us something worth the wait.

Last edited:
You know, I thought you had actually updated the level, but obviously, I was wrong. Come back again when you have something new to offer.

You know, I thought you had actually updated the level, but obviously, I was wrong. Come back again when you have something new to offer.
I have updated the level! As in, I fixed the water to be real water, but I still can't figure out how to do the floating bobbing thing with my platforms

I have updated the level! As in, I fixed the water to be real water, but I still can't figure out how to do the floating bobbing thing with my platforms
With updating, I mean adding new parts to the level. The water thing is just bugfixing.

Oh. Well, I've got the thok barrier right next to the walls, like in SRB2, so I can't really add any more...but I'll try.

Redo the entire design/level, please.

Make wide open areas.
Sceenery.
No walking down the boring hallways.
Force the player to do something, whether jumping, running, precise actions or more.
Put some secrets like a nuke with a reckless challenge to get it.
Take your time, don't say "ive fixd it its bettr now" after 2 hours.
The best levels take even WEEKS/MONTHS to finish.
Be creative, and please don't keep 'editing' the same level that s horrible, it won't get better.

Redo the entire design/level, please.
Doing that tomorrow.
Make wide open areas. Scenery.
I believe I have them already, but I'll check.
No walking down the boring hallways.
So... maybe one hallway or something, to connect two rooms?
Force the player to do something, whether jumping, running, precise actions or more.
Like what? Moving platforms or crumbling platforms? Cause I have them planned for tomorrow's ACTUAL redesign.
Put some secrets like a nuke with a reckless challenge to get it.
What the... nuke? What the heck is that?!?!?!?!?
Take your time, don't say "ive fixd it its bettr now" after 2 hours.
How...? You read my mind! That's exactly how long I spent on it!
The best levels take even WEEKS/MONTHS to finish.
Well, I see your point, but I've only got 5 months, and I know that the final for my senior project won't be the final for the level pack.
Be creative, and please don't keep 'editing' the same level that s horrible, it won't get better.
Yes, tomorrow I should have a completely new JFZ1.

TOMORROW? A complete single player level in one day? I guess I don't wanna see the results.
Well, the beginnings of one, at least. I didn't mean the whole level! I'm drawing them out on paper and coloring them and everything, but of course they're just a reference for when I actually make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back