Curse Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need to bring up religion in a discussion of the validity of curse filters. It just leads to trolling and rage.

We don't need to bring up religion in a discussion of the validity of curse filters. It just leads to trolling and rage.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Let's all gather around the campfire and listen to Uncle Zarro's crazy backwards knowledge. Today's topic: vocabulary.

Vocabulary, in the personal sense, is the number of words you know, and how to apply them in different, yet correct ways. Using a noun as a noun, a verb as a verb, and anything in between as correct conjunction between the two, as well as explanations to help emphasize how important a noun or verb may be.

"Ball" can be any form of spherical throwing object, while "Big ball" goes ahead and tells someone that "that ball is certainly larger than what one might assume".

On the topic of curse words and their uses, it isn't that the word is used, it's how you use it. Even the most offensive slang is not an insult unless you use it as such. Any sort of pilgrimage to avoid the use of the word entirely, simply because you do not understand how it can or cannot be used, is both outrageous and pretty damn pointless.

So let's use that as an example now. "Damn pointless". For all intensive purposes, your grandma might shake her cane at me for my foul language, but it's an emphasis on the word "pointless", to make the word stand out more. This however is a much less insulting emphasis than, say, "Pretty fucking pointless", which would bring the concept across as a much stronger, bolder statement. Which is not always how you want to use it, as you'll just sound like a douche.

So let's look at the most majorly used curse, and explore possible uses themselves! (And if you complain after this post that I used them, you're missing the entire point!)

Fuck:

One of the reasons the F-bomb is used a lot in general interweb speech is because "I'm right, you all suck". It is probably the strongest emphasis you can give to a word, and as such carries a lot of a bad wrap behind it in the curse filter.

Fuck is an English word that is generally considered profane which, in its most literal meaning, refers to the act of sexual intercourse. However, by extension it may be used to negatively characterize anything that can be dismissed, disdained, defiled, or destroyed.

But the real use is how you use it, so we'll look at two examples.

"Screw your fucking face"

Now that wasn't very nice. This is clearly a direct insult to one's physical body, and an insult to them directly. This is the case were you may feel insulted, and want to retaliate, or simply shove a red ring down their throat.

"Fucking moving platforms!"

This isn't so much an insult, but an emphasis on how annoying the moving platforms are in this case. Do you feel insulted because someone emphasized how much of an annoyance the moving platforms are? Are the moving platforms your friends? Do you immediately picture R34 of said platforms? I would certainly hope not.

In closing (TL;DR), It isn't the word itself or it's direct definition that you read in a websters 1996, it's how you use it in emphasis to a situation. If someone directly insults you, go ahead and ban them from the game if they're that far out of line. Otherwise, IGNORE IT. They are yelling at a void of nothing, and don't so much expect a response, as an agreement.

There is nothing to filter but words that mean many things. And to remove an entire word because of only one of its many uses, you may as well remove the entire dictionary because of only one of its many words.

(This has been another: pointless moment)

What you have to understand is that a curse filter doesn't necessarily mean that everyone has it blocked. It could be an option ON/OFF in the control panel. Yes, people do get annoyed by the F-word. But why does it matter if several people turn on the curse filter? Is it affecting everyone? No, it is affecting the people that choose to turn it on. It makes both sides of the argument happy and people that want to use it can use it.

You might point out people will start to avoid the curse filter. Why? Not everyone has it on so there is no need to, people that want to hear you swear can hear you swear.

Autosaver, everyone should realize that. The problems aren't that as much as the issues that such a thing generates. Here is a basic list of problems with running a curse filter at all, optional or not:

1. What words do you filter? Most people put "fuck" on any list, but what about "shit"? Racial slurs? "Dick"? "Damn"? Creating an actual list of naughty words is a general nightmare because different people have a different opinion on what is offensive.
2. What do you do about partial matches? "Assassinate", "fucking" and "shitake mushrooms" all contain a curse word. How do you determine which is a naughty word and which is perfectly acceptable? A computer isn't exactly capable of determining intent.
3. What do you do about evading it? If someone is using the filter, it is trivially easy to evade it by just replacing a letter. I think everyone here can easily tell what "mother fscker" is supposed to mean. The filter can't hit that at all, and on a server, especially if the host is AFK, it's not like we're going to have a central administration to give you an infraction if you break the filter.

These three things are just a nasty can of worms that are completely avoidable if you simply do not have a filter at all.

And on top of all this, there is already a self-regulating, naturally arising set of mechanisms to curb excessive swearing. Particularly foulmouthed and offensive players risk getting ostracized or kicked. More mature servers, in effect, have human curse filters, none of which are hampered by any of the above problems (except perhaps the first one to a small extent).

Plus, anyone who is made to feel uncomfortable can simply leave and play elsewhere. Even the perpetrator can usually find some other netgame where nobody cares if they swear like a lumberjack who just chopped off his own leg.

In short, the system works perfectly as it is. A curse filter won't help matters, even if it could be turned on or off. Instead of petitioning the devs to block bad language on netgames, find a more civilized netgame to join.

Autosaver, everyone should realize that. The problems aren't that as much as the issues that such a thing generates. Here is a basic list of problems with running a curse filter at all, optional or not:

1. What words do you filter? Most people put "fuck" on any list, but what about "shit"? Racial slurs? "Dick"? "Damn"? Creating an actual list of naughty words is a general nightmare because different people have a different opinion on what is offensive.
2. What do you do about partial matches? "Assassinate", "fucking" and "shitake mushrooms" all contain a curse word. How do you determine which is a naughty word and which is perfectly acceptable? A computer isn't exactly capable of determining intent.
3. What do you do about evading it? If someone is using the filter, it is trivially easy to evade it by just replacing a letter. I think everyone here can easily tell what "mother fscker" is supposed to mean. The filter can't hit that at all, and on a server, especially if the host is AFK, it's not like we're going to have a central administration to give you an infraction if you break the filter.

These three things are just a nasty can of worms that are completely avoidable if you simply do not have a filter at all.

1.Is it possible to have customizable filters? If not, that would be a nice feature in the next years.
2.The censor would only censor the word(s), not entire sentences. The variations of the F-Word could easily be blocked by adding them as a different word.
3.Why the hell are you evading the curse filter when you have it on? I think most people on here are smart enough to avoid this. If you want to swear, just swear. You don't need to use stupid words to avoid it.

I just noticed I read the first post wrong. I thought it was talking about the forum, not the game. .. Hopefully my points still apply in both manners. Although, if you want a curse filter on the game, you probably want one on the forum?

Again, while customizable curse filters are possible, again, maintaining such a list like that is a gigantic pain in the ass and nobody would bother unless they're so psychotically against curse words that they probably don't belong on the internet to begin with.

You would also be shocked at just how many variations there are on most curse words. Your list would end up absolutely enormous, and you would still have trouble with things like "abso-fucking-lutely" if they don't use the hyphens.

Finally, obviously the person with the filter on wouldn't be evading it. OTHER people are evading it, either intentionally or unintentionally. Especially if you're setting it up where variants of curse words have to be entered separately.

The reality is that cursing is just a part of the English language, and considering what's on network TV nowadays I really cannot imagine anyone being given access to the internet without being significantly exposed to it by this point. If you find it offensive, that's fine. Ignore it the old fashioned way instead of using software to do it for you.

Again, while customizable curse filters are possible, again, maintaining such a list like that is a gigantic pain in the ass and nobody would bother unless they're so psychotically against curse words that they probably don't belong on the internet to begin with.
People shouldn't be maintaining a gigantic list in the first place, like you said. They should be off the internet.
You would also be shocked at just how many variations there are on most curse words. Your list would end up absolutely enormous, and you would still have trouble with things like "abso-fucking-lutely" if they don't use the hyphens.
I've never seen these words used on the forums/game.
Finally, obviously the person with the filter on wouldn't be evading it. OTHER people are evading it, either intentionally or unintentionally. Especially if you're setting it up where variants of curse words have to be entered separately.
x person joins y game with z people in it.
y person has filter of the basic swear words.
x swears and his words turn into asterisks on y's side, while z would see the real word.
They wouldn't know if you had a curse filter on to pass it on purpose, and I've never seen people accidentally going passed the filter. If a person is intentionally passing it, kick him. Forum: Like I said before, I never see anyone accidentally/intentionally breaking the filter. If anyone has a problem with words appearing ala your examples, they could add those words to the list. I doubt people are going to have too many words on their list.

Now I'm on slight confusion, would the curse filter affect EVERYONE in the server, or would it affect only the people that has it on?

In the end, it might be more trouble then its worth..

The reality is that cursing is just a part of the English language, and considering what's on network TV nowadays I really cannot imagine anyone being given access to the internet without being significantly exposed to it by this point. If you find it offensive, that's fine. Ignore it the old fashioned way instead of using software to do it for you.
Good points. Although, I'm unsure if people will ever get over curse words. There was a day I said OMFG on facebook. I got yelled at the next day by a church leader and had a private talk about how bad it is. I simply shrugged it off but I saw how offended he was. He was sobbing all over the floor! I panicked and just did whatever he said.

Embarrassing in my opinion, I should of just left.

Last edited:
So why not just kick him for cursing instead?
Some people do not mind stars in sentences instead of the full words. So you can "beep" swear. (An example would be is.. TV? They can't swear but they can if it is beeped out) Although, I can agree with your suggestion...

Like several users said and what you pointed out, it is more trouble then its worth.

There was a day I said OMFG on facebook. I got yelled at the next day by a church leader and had a private talk about how bad it is. I simply shrugged it off but I saw how offended he was. He was sobbing all over the floor! I panicked and just did whatever he said.

Embarrassing in my opinion, I should of just left.
The heck? I've never seen anyone take it THAT seriously.

Well besides the fact that you can just ignore, isnt there a command where you can mute a certain person whos getting annoying. Like swearers and spammers?

An ignore or mute a single player command would be nice. That way you could keep the people that you think are swearing too much from talking instead of muting the whole server.

There could be a command made in the future versions of SRB2 where you can mute a certain person. But otherwise I think a curse filter would be completely useless with all of the different words and phrases that could mean the same thing.

i just think the phrase "where do you live" should be censored for safety of the little kids
This post, right here, justifies exactly my point and why putting a curse filter into the game just opens a can of stupid worms we don't need to deal with.

The text written into the box is and always should output to everybody else. No complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back