One week after launch - has SRB2ME lived up to expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
saturatedfat said:
Every zone except ERZ1 & 2 is trash... sorry. I mean seriously, stupid puzzles(specially that water level) with no clear path. A lot of trial and error things are in this game. Especially in the ERZ zones, I remember in ERZ1 you go outside into space at the end and have 5 seconds... There is no way you can do this on your first try and is stupid to have added. ERZ2 there is this part near the beggining where you go outside and you hit this flip to change gravity. If you don't move forward you die, BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW BEFORE YOU ARE DEAD?

Egg Rock Zone expects you to quickly find a solution to your problems. I had no trouble with the final area in act 1, but I decided to run for the emerald token instead of the spring, resulting in a lost life.

And regaurding act 2, there is a window you can look through before jumping outside so you don't screw up.

Blue Warrior said:
Hey, guys, just thought I'd throw this out there, but a troll is someone whose aim is to disrupt normal conversation. Not someone who is pessimistic by default.

Or someone who says something for the sake of causing an argument, or pissing somebody off. The stuff he said was sort of... misleading, for the lack of a better word.

emblempride said:
Blue Warrior said:
Hey, guys, just thought I'd throw this out there, but a troll is someone whose aim is to disrupt normal conversation. Not someone who is pessimistic by default.

Or someone who says something for the sake of causing an argument, or pissing somebody off. The stuff he said was sort of... misleading, for the lack of a better word.
Obviously, every comment he makes will appear as trolling, because he will always piis people off.

By the way, Chrome is right, no traps will kill you more than once because you don't know what to do. It might kill you more often because it's hard. But after one death you at least know what to do.

SP Levels: Quite good. Lengthy, challenging, detailed, and creative.
Character WADding: Horrendous. I think that removing customization of abilities entirely was just about the worst thing that could have been done. I can see removing slingring, since it goes against the style of Sonic a bit, but I still think that was a cool option to have. Either more abilities should be added, or custom abilities and/or slingring should be re-added. Otherwise, there will be no such thing as a unique character WAD. If multiplayer is an issue, you might consider making slingring/custom-ability mods banned on the master server.
Level WADding: Enough to counteract my negative feelings about the above. The ability to put multiple effects on a single makes making a unique level much easier. There are still a few things I would still want in (like Once Per Character or an easier No More Enemies), but for the most part, with the new effects, new textures, new objects, and multiple effects per sector, the engine is now easier and more powerful than I have ever seen it before, and I have a much better time creating a truly unique experience for the player. However, I do wish you had kept difficulty levels, but I can see why you left it out, and it is quite an acceptable loss.
SOCcing: I like the new actions quite a bit. I don’t think I used any yet, but it is quite good to know that I have much more power in custom frames than I did before. The SOCEdit.exe packaged with the game is powerful, but it still has a few minor glitches that need addressing, such as Var2 on the frame editor and the .cfg selection on the global variables.
Saving: Automation is good, but you might still have a kink or two to polish off. All in all, though, an improvement.
Devmode: Now looks less messy than before, but for those who are making EXE modifications, you might consider making a variable that will show the more detailed information.

All in all, the only negative I can see thus far is the changes to character wadding.

Joat said:
Devmode: Now looks less messy than before, but for those who are making EXE modifications, you might consider making a variable that will show the more detailed information.

DEVMODE 2

Spazzo said:
Joat said:

DEVMODE 2
Oh...

And I was just about to complain about that. >_>

SP Mode:The save system is annoying, but good enough and it gives the game more of a challenge. The levels that are decent, GFZ, THZ, CEZ (non including the lag), some parts in DSZ. The good levels are ACZ and ERZ. They were fun and chalenging. ERZ isn't even hard, you just have to play through it two or three times. The secrets are great too.

1.09.04:9/10:::::2.0:8.5/10
It was more of a beta now, and "LAG CASTLE" is, Lag Castle.

MultiPlayer Mode:Eh, good but it crashes A LOT, and STjr was lazy on some levels. Hide and Seek is also a good edition, but there should be extra levels for it. CTF is also improved with the team items. Match and CTF also has emeralds in it. :D

1.09.04:8/10:::::2.0:7.5/10
It is docked because, CRASH CRASH CRASH.

Er, I give 1.09.04 a 8/10 and 2.0 a 8.5/10. It improved, but has TONS of bugs.

This version was really cool on a way... and annoying in another.Why?

Reasons for the Cool: The Adventure in SP mode was pretty enterting and goodly maded. CTF was the gametype that changed the most for me. The weapon slot thing was remeber me of the game that you can choose your weapon and keep it.

Reasons for the Annoying: Those SigSegv are really starting to make me sick. The C-kicking host is the most annoying thing ever. The Zombie bug is correct but some time it dont stop spawning something about Zombie bug. Aslo the one i hate the most, the UNKNOW NET COMMAND(SEND = 32) (MAX = 0).

I still can't understand how someone can give 2.0 only a slightly better grade. Seriously,

-All of 1.09.4's single player stages are boring save for GFZ3, TH2 and THZ3, while all of the new ones are long, challenging and have tons of interesting gimmicks.
-Many Match & CTF stages were also crap, while the new system AND the new stages are waaay better.
-Hide & Seek
-Finished Knuckles
-[spoiler:955e357c6f]NAGZ & SRB1 Remake[/spoiler:955e357c6f]
-New Save System (might be frustrating at times, but it adds challenge to the game and makes you a better player, I especially like the per-character level select once you've completed it)
-Tons of new features that I haven't even seen yet

It's a jump from "Great because it's customizable, but boring on its own" to "Fun and addicting alone and even more customizable than before".

And yes, 2.0.3 can more or less ruin the fun at times, but it will be fixed eventually. In the meantime, play DSZ some more, you will find that it's better than it seems at first glance.

D00D64 said:
...It's better than the last one...

...But the loss of many GOOD wads and SRB2JTE is saddening...

...I'm kinda mixed. I love it, but I hate the loss of my favorite wads and mods. I know it was for the best, and it DID weed out a ton of recolor chars (for now), but I dunno...

Same with me, That's why I'm learning to make my own Wads for the time being.

I love the new levels and the experience you can get from single player and the Online modes are tons better also.
Overall, this is a good game, even though some parts could be tweaked a little.

Why not play the OLD wads with the OLD game and call it a day? Just because the new version doesn't support them it doesn't mean you can't use them anywhere else. (The only exception are characters wads, but these are seemingly getting updated very quickly.)

SpiritCrusher said:
Why not play the OLD wads with the OLD game and call it a day? Just because the new version doesn't support them it doesn't mean you can't use them anywhere else. (The only exception are characters wads, but these are seemingly getting updated very quickly.)

But I'm so used to SRB2 2.whatever. And I can ACTUALLY FIND/MAKE NETGAMES on 2.X. Also, the new level potential is great too.

...But those wads will be missed. Egg Robo will never be the same, Dr. Pepper is gone, and some chars just can't be recovered due to the original creator disappearing. RIP old wads...

Well...

-SP campaign: I love the new levels (with the new gimmicks and such) and I still have much emblem hunting to do. I barely ever got SIGSEV'D (I don't know why; maybe it's my computer) and the new special stage designs were neat. I'm just waiting for it to be finished.

I didn't do too much netplay so I can't comment on that. But for now, 2.0 has met my expectations.

also:
[spoiler:487715a7dc]NAGZ is pure awesomeness[/spoiler:487715a7dc]

I thought it was pretty good overall. I had some initial issues with the camera and controls, but those have since smoothed out now that I've gotten used to the style of the game. The camera does still have some minor issues in places but overall gets the job done respectably.

The only real letdown is that it on a few cases jumps from one area to the next without any real sense of progression, especially when you go straight from Red Volcano to Egg Rock Zone. (Granted, the early Sonic games did that too, so this one I'll let slide for that fact).

I got owned the first few times I tried Egg Rock Zone, but I've since smoothed out most of the bumps and bruises, and now I hold the Tails records for Act 1 and 2 in Time Attack.

Also: I still can't beat that Egg Rock Zone 3 boss. I've thrown an army of 25 foxes at it and lost all of them (I must be really bad if I'm going through lives like water like that)

I've only played the game as Tails so far. I'd probably rip my hair out playing as Sonic, some of the platforming stuff I noticed (as I happily flew by the worst of it) you have to do seems rather difficult if you actually have to do that stuff.

I haven't tried any of the multiplayer stuff or the extras, due to lack of time for the multiplayer stuff, and lack of uber gaming skills required to beat everything to unlock the extras. =p

MilesTraysandor said:
The only real letdown is that it on a few cases jumps from one area to the next without any real sense of progression, especially when you go straight from Red Volcano to Egg Rock Zone. (Granted, the early Sonic games did that too, so this one I'll let slide for that fact).
The game is unfinished, there's a zone missing between RVZ and ERZ.

SpiritCrusher said:

To be more precise:

Castle Eggman Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Arid Canyon Zone Act 2 (Unfinished)
Arid Canyon Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Red Volcano Zone Act 2
Red Volcano Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Dark City Zone Act 1 (Unfinished)
Dark City Zone Act 2 (Unfinished)
Dark City Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Final Fight (Unfinished)

Ezer.Arch said:
SpiritCrusher said:

To be more precise:

Castle Eggman Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Arid Canyon Zone Act 2 (Unfinished)
Arid Canyon Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Red Volcano Zone Act 2
Red Volcano Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Dark City Zone Act 1 (Unfinished)
Dark City Zone Act 2 (Unfinished)
Dark City Zone Act 3 (Unfinished)
Final Fight (Unfinished)

These levels haven't even been started, the only one that is unfinished is RVZ2 aka BMZ. Also, DCZ3 is Doomship Zone in the MainCFG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back