SRB2 Chaos Twilight V2b Released! (Page 15 news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing all 3 acts of Magma Cavern Zone for this. Also I'm going to edit Icy City, and add some more detail to it as well once I have MCZ revamped totally.

Ah, that's one bit I forgot, but I did add a few red diagonal springs for another way of escaping however.

Hyperknux said:
Ah, that's one bit I forgot, but I did add a few red diagonal springs for another way of escaping however.
Yeah I know, but the springs are a bit far at the starter position, and the springs' power, without the slime, are weak. I don't know the springs' power problem, but there is one, go look please.

Okay, after playing the entire thing (again), a few things are becoming apparent. I can't list everything, though, because there's far too many things that could be improved.

Most notably, every single level seems to be a theme used before. Possible exceptions are the second zone (mossy rocks and grass floors?), Icy City, and that one space zone though neither are ground breaking. However, it seems like you're almost dependent on other people's ideas, as can be seen in the PAZ ripoff, as well as the super stage. I did appreciate how the super stage was more like a retrospect, though.

Secondly, gameplay kinda hiccuped every now and then. Sometimes it was a ridiculous part of platforming, sometimes I wasn't sure where forwards is, and sometimes a deathpit caught me by surprise. Just some small things here and there that really killed the experience.

The last part, which isn't exactly obvious: It seems like this level pack is really bringing you down. The only work that you're doing is improving what's already there. Because you're only improving what's there, you're by nature limiting yourself. I think you might want to move on with what you're learned and create brand new content.

But hey, it's your mod.

Theme wise, everyone uses grass, fire, and all of that, it's based off the real world, and the game obviously.

I've recently had a break from my mod, and the last thing I was doing was remaking Magma Cavern Zone into a new stage. Alter Path was also having some refurbishing, and it was my own idea, even if it looked like a PAZ rip off, I'm just telling everyone now it is not a rip off, I can promise you it was my idea. Half of the deathpits have been removed in the V2 I have, which I probally won't release until sometime next year.

As for content, I'm making new stuff as there is. I have a few new maps coming along within the next release, and I'm racking some other extras up so it doesn't get that repetitive feel.

Other from that, I have a small idea of adding certain Mario pipes in a few stages in the game. Those are like the *Stage warp pipes* which allow you to go to a stage of the colour of that pipe.

Thanks for feedback BZ4.

@Brown: The springs are there to escape, in slime or not, I made sure that all positions are right, and they are. You can easily get out using them. So there's no problems about them now. They arn't far from the start positions. People have to move to get to them.

Hyperknux said:
Other from that, I have a small idea of adding certain Mario pipes in a few stages in the game. Those are like the *Stage warp pipes* which allow you to go to a stage of the colour of that pipe.
Nice idea! I though a way on how to make this work right now.
On every act 3, you put an area before going on the boss that includes a portal to go to the boss and the Stage Warp pipes, just incase you forgot to get something on the previous and/or current zone. And each Stage Warp Pipe should teleport to the first Act of the Zone you wanna go.
I'll give ratings soon if I can.

I just re-test MMZ3. The diagonal red springs are useless, those make me hit the middle floating platform, hitting your head in it and fall to your doom. The up yellow springs are useless in there too since they can't reach the up platform, only the up red springs are useful since they can reach it.

Also, you still forgot to put Sand Kingdom Zone 1 in the multiplayer select stage screen.

BlueZero4 said:
Also, perhaps you could clean up the first post and just include a changelog, or something?

If you meant by updates, or a list of recent stuff done. Then I can do it now. If not, remind me again. Thanks.

So far, for V2, I have got the following done.

Sand Kingdom Act 1 is fixed for level Select when unlocked

2 new multiplayer levels added to the pack

More custom scenery added

Some Super Mario Bros warp pipes added in a few stages in the game. I'll get a screen of one if I have time later on.

Still need to finish

Magma Cavern Zone Remake

As for Metal Mechanism Boss, I will have a look at the map. If I feel some changes need to be done, then it will happen.

Update secrets.

Well, this certainly has come a long way since I last played it!

After playing through the whole game, I felt you had obviously mad a huge effort in making your levels interesting, and detailed at the same time. But....and this is quite a big but....Apart from Mineral Valley, which I though was very unique, and awesome, the rest of the pack did not 'stand out' as such.

There were certain areas in which, I thought 'Wow, this is amazing' but other times, I felt like I had seen it all before. The point I'm trying to get at is, dont be afraid to try out new things, sometimes, even crazy things to make your pack unique.

Apart from that, I loved it! There were a few smaller things too:

-In Act 1 of Zone 1, It looked as though some of the rings weren't deafed.

-In MCZ1, and parts of act 2, the lava was way too deep, or had a pit beneath it. I noticed the same problem in parts of MMZ too. It frustrates the player to fall into a pit of slime/lava, knowing there is no chance of them escaping before they die.

-In the text block of ICZ, it says 'A city set in a cold city' or something similar to it. Doesn't make sense :P

-And, Icy City on the whole wasn't the best work ever. I noticed slight references to Gloom Metropolis, which I liked, however. :) Perhaps Frozen City, or Glacier City may have sounded better, dunno, up to you I guess :)

8/10 I enjoyed it, but there's always room for improvment.

Merry christmas,

Az.

Welcome back Azure Hawk, and merry christmas to you too. Thanks for the feedback of my mod. There is a lot of stuff happening for the next release.

Magma Cavern is being totally remade. And Icy City is having some big edits.

And other random stuff I said on my latest post.

This is a good mod, but I dislike how much you use death pits. Especially in the second boss, I can't beat him because he keeps falling into the pit.

Jellybones69 said:
This is a good mod, but I dislike how much you use death pits. Especially in the second boss, I can't beat him because he keeps falling into the pit.

Thanks for feedback, and yeah, I completely forgot to remove the deathpit. That was meant to be some sort of experiment I was doing a while back. But I got rid of that now for the next release, and I'm already removed half the deathpits for the next launch too.

OK, I just downloaded V1, and I have to say that the mod is going along swimmingly. GFZ2 has a broken script, though. As in, the one telling you that the last chaos emerald is in the area. Yeah, you may want to fix that.

I have played through all 7 zones. This post will have Green Peaks Zone only; I'll do the others in later posts. (mmmmaybe)

Green Peaks Zone, Act 1: 5/10
Some walls that are supposed to be breakable aren't, plus there seems to be a little too much scenery around. It gets to be distracting. Pop-up turret placement also seems to be a little early. On the other hand, there's less bottomless pit, and it's good and simple. Just fix those breakable walls, and it should be okay.
[spoiler:ecd6c49f89]I found the secret area with two extra lives[/spoiler:ecd6c49f89]
The spoiler mentioned above has Hall of Mirrors. That won't affect the score, but it's another thing to fix.

Green Peaks Zone, Act 2: 6/10
Yeah, I see the waterfall at the beginning. Hard to miss!
The breakable wall leading to a ring monitor actually causes lag for a couple of seconds for some reason... Plus, in the emerald area, you don't want to spring up only to land down on an enemy, and--worse case scenario--fall into the pit. I have yet to figure out what a certain passage has in it, but don't worry about that for now; I'll get to it. Floating grass is EVERYWHERE!!! lol It does seem better than the first level.

Green Peaks Zone, Act 3: 6/10
Boss battle, huh? The pit really discourages fighting Eggman on the platforms... something to think about.

Green Peaks Zone Overall: 5.67/10
GPZ1's revamp actually hurt this score because there's a lot of stuff to fix, but when you decide to fix it for later versions, it'll help.

K, I fixed it, sorry I misled you HKnux. More later.

Turrets in GPZ1? you must be talking about the secret zone since I don't remember any turrets, either that, I forgot to remove them. As for the walls, some are secret. Try collecting a lot of rings... that's all I'm telling =P

While I'm at it, I got more of Magma Cavern Zone act 1 done which is the main bit of news as I haven't worked on it for a while due to college work. I have 4 new screens here. Expect some updates within a few days. The release won't be for a while yet. Do note, some screens shown some bits are still in development e.g. first screen.

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srb20026ht9.png

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srb20027ag6.png

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srb20028ds5.png

http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srb20029fc6.png

Nice... [spoiler:0bbb8b74ea]I'm plenty interested...[/spoiler:0bbb8b74ea]

BTW, please fix the pics. I can't see them. (Then again, that may be CyberSitter at work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back