Mario Kart 8 [Wii U]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, I'm really looking forward to this one. The anti-gravity mechanics look pretty fun, and the graphics are just gorgeous. The retro tracks look amazing, especially N64 Rainbow Road.

The cheese of this Nintendo Direct hurts.

Still can't get over how shitty some of this character roster is. Full baby row and a Metal Mario clone. Brilliant.

I don't really care about the roster in Mario Kart 7 either but it was smaller so it was fair there.

What I am worried about this game is the fact that it is just the like the other games but with anti-gravity and cool lighting effects slapped on it. It wouldn't take long to get bored of this game but repetition sale so...

In fact, I am starting to get used to the graphics.

The anti-gravity gimmick isn't just extra flare, it also has additional gameplay mechanics tied to it and opens up alternative routes to make gameplay more interesting.

The cheese of this Nintendo Direct hurts.

Still can't get over how shitty some of this character roster is. Full baby row and a Metal Mario clone. Brilliant.

I know, right? The character rosters they pick for MK are just goddamn awful. Like what is that thing, a Metal Peach? Why is that a character?

I'm surprised they didn't just go the Smash route and make a kart racer that included all their franchises. Throw in an F-Zero track, Zelda track, etc... it'd certainly make me more interested.

I know, right? The character rosters they pick for MK are just goddamn awful. Like what is that thing, a Metal Peach? Why is that a character?

We have a past roster of Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Bowser Jr., Birdo, Petey Piranha, and King Boo as options for inclusion.

But fuck all of them. We need our fifth baby character. My mind, just-- WHAT

It still bugs me how SEGA makes a cart racer and everyone is up in arms, then Nintendo rips off Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity to add similar mechanics and everyone seems to have the collective reaction of "OMG SO ORIGINAL!!1!!!11!1!"

Eh, either way, with the exception of them botching the character roster, it does look good so far, and I like that they are keeping the gliders and propellers from MK7.

Except I see no gameplay difference between hover form and regular form at all. Hover form is just an excuse to add more alternate pathways.

It still bugs me how SEGA makes a cart racer and everyone is up in arms, then Nintendo rips off Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity to add similar mechanics and everyone seems to have the collective reaction of "OMG SO ORIGINAL!!1!!!11!1!"

ojO77e0.jpg

The difference I am seeing is in F-Zero the zero gravity is used to add more to the course, such as when you go on a pipe, you can go all around it rather than just on top. With MK8 and SR:ZG however, the zero gravity function is used to get an edge in the race, or to take an alternate path. Hence why it bugs me and why I believe SR:ZG may have indirectly caused the Anti-Gravity parts in MK8, however when it comes to switching to walls/ceilings, MK8 seems to have much smoother transitions.

Even if you're looking at it from a mechanical point of view, Zero Gravity was mechanically garbage. To say that Mario Kart is ripping off of Zero Gravity kind of... hilarious, honestly. Especially when F-Zero was doing it way sooner.

Well, the first Wipeout for PSX was released three years prior to F-Zero X, but IIRC it didn't really use gravity mechanics as later titles did.

You could say that Super Mario Galaxy ripped of Mad Space, but I don't see a strong connection between Zero Gravity and Mario Kart 8, to be honest. That game looks fine, but it's once again not enough to make me want to buy a WiiU.

I'm considering getting this game partly due to the Club Nintendo promotion where I can get either Wind Waker or Pikmin 3 (tough choice) for free with it. I've never played a bad Mario Kart game, but I wonder what people's impressions are with it now that its out.

Mario Kart 8 currently sits as my favorite in the series and bikes aren't broken, so it's pretty solid.

Also, I was just in a stream of the game and I was talking with some people and we did not get the appeal of F-Zero and why everyone feels it's a crime to not get another game for it.

I'm considering getting this game partly due to the Club Nintendo promotion where I can get either Wind Waker or Pikmin 3 (tough choice) for free with it. I've never played a bad Mario Kart game, but I wonder what people's impressions are with it now that its out.

I already beat Wind Waker HD, so I would've gotten Pikmin 3 since I've never, EVER had the chance to play a single pikmin game.

Mario Kart 8 currently sits as my favorite in the series and bikes aren't broken, so it's pretty solid.

Also, I was just in a stream of the game and I was talking with some people and we did not get the appeal of F-Zero and why everyone feels it's a crime to not get another game for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfKjoWVcMNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

If you don't understand now, you never will.

MK is good. But F-Zero GX is simply the greatest arcade racing game to ever be made by Nintendo or no.

OK, now I question the appeal even more. It looks really empty and forgettable. Not to mention pathetically easy. I'm not sure if that's just the skill of the player, but even then there should still be some degree of challenge (aka, the other racers don't disappear).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back