• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Beach (In Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's still planning his "payback" - *cough*

For the rest of us with sanity, this level is not good. I suggest you read the Wiki article on level design, which was already linked, but I'll do it again: http://www.srb2wiki.sepwich.com/wiki/Level_Design

Small stages lack any sort of gameplay variety, and lack space to run around. You should have at least enough space in the stage to get away from your opponent. Look at the official stages - Meadow Match is about the smallest you should realistically attempt.

Mystic, I've never liked Medow Match. It's only redeeming quality is the rail ring, somewhat saving the already bland and empty level design.

Sykotic said:
Actually you can- Hannyness and I tested this earlier, thus defeating your argument.
Yeah, right. You can still have fun playing crappy levels, even though they suck. Making them better just means that the fights on the stage are insanely more intense.

Sykotic said:
Pretty much- doesn't matter what it was made for, as long as it's being enjoyed.

Of course, it doesn't matter that I'm enjoying throwing this wad into the trash disposal and telling everyone how much it "sucks" and is "gay" and how it "makes me not enjoy you people very much." I mean, it doesn't matter - as long as it's being enjoyed, right? Of course.

On a more actually serious note, this level really isn't that good. It's small and many of the items are clumped right next to each other in lines. Monitors and rings are placed in rows, it seems, and there is little variation between anything. Being skilled doesn't mean you can run around in circles and aim at each other - there needs to be obstacles and different terrain and heights that test the user's ability to manuver and manipulate at the same time. This isn't SSBM, where Final Destination actually works - this is SRB2.

Remember, most decent levels have at least a couple days effort to them (often a week or so for match/CTF levels and maybe even a months worth for a good SP level). Always try to make your level better and more complex with supporting gameplay variety and maybe even some aesthetics. You don't need to finish a level in an hour - why not use some extra time to make it better?

Signature somewhat related.

Meadow Match, honestly, is only really kept around for traditional purposes and how well balanced it is. It's ugly as sin, composed of a single room, and has very little variety in the level design, but it works well as a small game map (2-4 players) and can lead to some excellent games.

It wouldn't make the grade nowadays, obviously. However, unlike Zero Ring, it actually has enough balance to justify keeping it around.

okay. Thankyou for your comments - screenies updated for the new, larger, rail-ring'd map. I appreciate your honesty. Also, the file is updated. :] Enjoy (or maybe not, lol)

Btw that spam post was a joke XD

It looks BETTER, but still very bland. You'll want to add some changes in scenery, just a few random little bits to keep things interesting.

Wait, wheres the beach part again? Make it more like one. Add like palm trees, and get rid of the metal. It makes it look like Prison Island a bit.

prop2707_7542.jpg

Not to be mean but.... Thats a beach.

What you have is peninsulas. Well not even peninsulas, more like small island with one boring flower on it. And it's not even a flower its a mechanical flower thing.

Lol. I am currently trying to get some palm trees in (Thanks Sonicfreak94) but it kinda messed up and deleted all my sectors, so, uh, keep posted. XD

Jazz said:
Cramped levels fail, always. How a level be any fun if you can't move around easily?
You'd be surprised. Way back in 2005's January contest, CZ64 released Mirror Room Zone; it was the smallest, ugliest map you'd ever see, and it was criticized as such. Then a handful of us wound up playing a 7 person netgame on it, and we all had a blast, even Mystic.

Of course, that didn't make the map any better, and it bears little to no relevance to this topic! This map is trash.

Just keep working on it. Maybe you could add teleporters that teleport you to another room/island/sector, etc.

One island. Err, it's a beach.

Juat make it bigger and remove the metal. This isn't 1337RB2.

It's kind of hard to tell whether you were joking and knew this already, but the small and cramped comment was about the level.

Sciky said:
Three things that will definatly happen 90% of the time with this map:

Hangout
Party
Roleplaying-pretending the sonic characters are having fun at the beach.

I can see it now

"baby tails: I'm building a sand castle!
*Knuckles runs through sand castle*
baby tails: WHY DID YOU DO THAT, WHAAAA, WHAAA!!
tailschao: ban him!!!
Supa Tails Chao, How could you do that to my pet *feeds baby tails with milk bottle*
baby tails: yay milk bottle
Knuckles has been banned from the master server"

Aaaand so on.

Don't take this post too seriously. Anyway, my opinion is it is too small and cramped.

Hahaha, nice. I could imagine that easily, why havent you been on recent netgames?

on Edge said:
I am _SO_ happy that hosting site is blocked from school. :D
(Don't quote pictures.)
Even if it wasn't blocked, you can't play SRB2 at school, so it doesn't matter that you can't download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back