Sonic GZD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt this can compete with SRB2, sans visuals. SRB2 has had years piled on years done with it. The limits of DooM have been positively stretched, twisted, and destroyed in tons of ways that I doubt this can do. Sure, slopes and loops are nice, but they can't compete to, say, ERZ2.

Exactly. That's why there's a source code for ZDoom. You can expand on it to allow better polyobjects but lmited FOFs and that. And ZDoom uses the same engine, so you can make levels for it in the same way.

Can GZDoom or ZDoom do poly objects that render their flats?
No, I think they're made (in an editor) the same way srb2's are.
Fishing for mappers in the ZDoom circuit might give you mixed results. In the same way that SRB2 mappers don't really like making small cramped corridors, I don't expect ZDoom mappers to be able to create vast, open landscapes.
and I find this statement rather hilarious. There's plenty of ZDoom users that love to create big areas, you obviously have not played enough Doom(or ZDoom wads). I've seen plenty with huge, open landscapes. KDiZD, the Torment and Torture series, Suspended in Dusk to name a few and plenty of others..You just got to keep looking.

Last edited:
No, I think they're made (in an editor) the same way srb2's are.

Explaine this gear then:
DOOM0126.png

DOOM0128.png

I can get you its wad if need be.

The texture on the gear rotates with it.

Last edited:
Exactly. That's why there's a source code for ZDoom. You can expand on it to allow better polyobjects but lmited FOFs and that. And ZDoom uses the same engine, so you can make levels for it in the same way.

Good luck finding programmers who are willing to put 11 years of their life into developing the game for you.

I don't think you understand the scope here. SRB2 has had a ton of effort put into it, and trying to replicate it in ZDoom would just take tons of time that, quite frankly, isn't worth it. Also, the features that ZDoom has that SRB2 doesn't would be more than feasible if OpenGL was the supported renderer, and not Software. Which basically translates to "Hey, if you're capable of programming to create a ZDoom equivalent of SRB2, why not take the time to fix up the OpenGL renderer and put in all the ZDoom features that SRB2 lacks into it?" Really, there's no reason to remake SRB2 in ZDoom, or to try and get ZDoom to have an SRB2-like engine when SRB2's engine already works and just needs some touching up.

All Ashnal really wants to do is make a Sonic-like game in GZDoom and he's already got most of the physics down in DECORATE and ACS and some people who are willing to help map for him.

Good luck finding programmers who are willing to put 11 years of their life into developing the game for you.

I don't think you understand the scope here. SRB2 has had a ton of effort put into it, and trying to replicate it in ZDoom would just take tons of time that, quite frankly, isn't worth it. Also, the features that ZDoom has that SRB2 doesn't would be more than feasible if OpenGL was the supported renderer, and not Software. Which basically translates to "Hey, if you're capable of programming to create a ZDoom equivalent of SRB2, why not take the time to fix up the OpenGL renderer and put in all the ZDoom features that SRB2 lacks into it?" Really, there's no reason to remake SRB2 in ZDoom, or to try and get ZDoom to have an SRB2-like engine when SRB2's engine already works and just needs some touching up.

I understand absolutely how much effort has been put into SRB2 and I would never be able to do something as good as this. But, this is most probably copyright or something similar, but can't you just get some code from SRB2 an place it inside this. Really, we coul have two different versions of an SRB2 Doom Game, SRB2 and this Sonic GZD. This would definately take so much time, but SRB2 took a long time because at first, there wasn't many people willing to help. But with this, you can try and get a lot of people to help. I mean, look at the Sky Sanctuary Team, look at how much they did in a short time.

Okay guys let me give a few answers to your concerns.

Rob said:
I doubt this can compete with SRB2, sans visuals. SRB2 has had years piled on years done with it. The limits of DooM have been positively stretched, twisted, and destroyed in tons of ways that I doubt this can do. Sure, slopes and loops are nice, but they can't compete to, say, ERZ2.
Do you have any experience with GZDoom? Do you have any idea what is possible with ACS and DECORATE? What limits do you think exist that aren't broken in GZDoom already? I think you are making an argument with no evidence to back it up here.

Rob said:

I do know the scope of SRB2. I'm an aspiring game developer myself. I'm not trying to replicate it, but create something similar, possibly better, using the tools of GZDoom. The thing is that ACS and DECORATE are on an order of magnitudes easier to program and test with than C source code. This allows me to make faster progress on the programming front than SRB2 did. Consider that it only took me a week to program sonic physics with enemy and powerup interaction. The thing that takes the most time is content. That is level design, textures, and enemy artwork.

I don't know as much programming as you think I do. I do not have the level of knowledge to fix up srb2's OpenGL renderer, implement slopes, or integrate ACS or DECORATE. This is the reason why I am using GZDoom. Simply put, with the tools of GZDoom it is much easier to recreate sonic gameplay in GZDoom than to add GZDoom features to SRB2. Why do you think that the SRB2 team hasn't done it already? They work with what they have because it is impractical to spend all the effort to port those features when they have an already awesome project to maintain.

SonicShadow said:
If it does not have FOFs, it's pretty much worthless. (IIRC ZDoom does not have FOFs)
http://img407.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom200909291w.png/ Look at the screen shots before you say it has no FoF's. GZDoom supports FoF's perfectly fine in exactly the same fasion as SRB2.

Glaber said:
Explaine this gear then:
That gear interests me. If you could PM a link to that wad it would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back