• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

I can't make a sound wad. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's level music. I'm trying to get Greenflower Zone acts (without bosses) to use the emerald hill 1&2 remixes, and all bosses (act 3's) to use the boss remix. These songs came from Sonic 2 and then were remixed.

I'm.. pretty sure there's something in the Editing section of srb2.org that tells you how to do that.
If not, then.. well.. my memory is pretty bad.

Basics for a sound wad:

1: You need a .wav file.
2: You need a wad editor. I recommend XWE.

Now, open XWE (after installing).
Go to: File > new.
Save your new wad wherever you want it.

Now:
You need to edit the properties of your .wav, so that it plays at 8 bit mono. If it already plays at this, you may skip this step.
Open Sound Recorder.
Go to: File > Open, and open the .wav file.

After you open the .wav in Sound Recorder, go to: File > Properties.
A new window will pop up. Click on the button: "Convert now".

Now, a second window should pop up:
There will be 3 sections.
Ignore the 2 that are named:
Name, and Format.
Click the little popdown menu next to Attributes, and scroll down (or up) until you see this setting:
48.000 kHz, 8 Bit, Mono
Click that.
Click Ok on the two popup windiows (This one, and the one before it).
Now go to File > Save as
Save the new .wav in any folder you like.

Now:
Go back to XWE, and open the wad file you made earlier.
(File > Open)
After opening the wad, go to Entry > Load, and load your .wav sound.

Now, Open XWE again. You want 2 of these open. Open SRB2.SRB
(Go to the folder where this is installed, and type it in)
And click the sounds button, at the bottom)
You should notice a new option at the top:
Wave.
Select a lump (file in a wad, all the bunches of random text to the left of XWE)
And click Wave > Play.
Keep doing this for each lump, until you hear the one you want to change.
Now, go back into the XWE with your wad in it. Rename the lump to the one you found in SRB2.SRB.

Now, there's one more step:
Click Wave > Save as Doom Wave. (The one with your wad.)
That's it.
Close XWE, and load the wad into SRB2.
There's your new sound.

Edit: You wanted music?
Well, you can use MP3s, or OGGs.
Do the same thing: Use XWE.
You can skip the Sound Recorder section.
Open the OGG/MP3, in XWE and rename the lump.
Like this: O_MAPxxM
(Replace xx with the level number. Bosses all use level 3. If the level is only a one digit level, use 0 before the digit)
So, if you want to replace the GFZ music, the lumps would be named:
O_MAP01M
O_MAP02M

FuriousFox said:
No one's going to make a wad for you. You're going to have to learn to make it yourself.

<THIS FOLLOWING POST USES WHAT HE SAID TO TALK TO THE PRECEEDING IN THIS FOLLOWING POST'S WRITER>
How do i level up? This is taking account what Shuffle said.

Not only does that post have nothing to do with the topic, but it also does not make any sense. What do you mean by "Level up"? This isn't a RPG...

FuriousFox said:
Not only does that post have nothing to do with the topic, but it also does not make any sense. What do you mean by "Level up"? This isn't a RPG...

I think Shuffle got him wrong he might of ment mIRC.

Which will NOT happen.

Back on-topic.
Did you figure it out?
If not, I'll attempt more detailed instructions for you.

How can they BE any more detailed? They're pretty easy to follow. Unfortunatley, I can't use XWE due to errors.

Roboashura said:
How can they BE any more detailed? They're pretty easy to follow. Unfortunatley, I can't use XWE due to errors.

With Screencaps.
EVERYTHING is easier with screencaps.

How do I add music to a wad using lumpmod? I've done it before, just don't remember how.

Super Sonic, there is no need to convert the song to 8-bit mono. If you have an .mp3 or an .ogg you can import it as it is. Besides, 8-bit mono sounds terrible.

FoxBlitzz said:
Super Sonic, there is no need to convert the song to 8-bit mono. If you have an .mp3 or an .ogg you can import it as it is. Besides, 8-bit mono sounds terrible.

He posted the fact that he wanted MP3s while I was writing up my giant of a post. I didn't see that until after I posted it. So I edited it with the information about adding MP3s.

Roboashura said:
How do I add music to a wad using lumpmod? I've done it before, just don't remember how.
Meh, I've done that before too, but now I can't seem to remember how. I think SRB2WE can do that, but I tested awhile back with a Metroid Prime OST track (namely Impact Crater PWNAGE) but it came out corrupted, probably because of immense size. And before someone asks, it was an OGG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back