Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This occurs when the game is run on really low-resolution graphics, and I can't seem to find a way around it.

Make the text fit into the screen. I had the same problem, and when I fixed the resolution, the text seemed to be missing one or two letters on one side, then the letters appear on the other. Example:

rty.Eggman invited Sonic to a Christmas pa

Last edited:
Ooooo boy, here we go...

Just FYI, I don't know the zone names much, so I'll just say 1st Zone, 2nd Zone, etc, etc. Though I'll someshat say the names of some zones that I got to remember.

-The 1st Zone (Sunshine Atoll) is alright for a, well, 1st Zone. What made me disappointed was that you couldn't put those Leaf Platforms to good use. Really, I was expecting to go to secret places by climbing on top of them.

-The 2nd Zone has a high difficulty spike, I swear. I kept running on lava because there was not enough space to move around freely and most of the times I jumped, I over-jumped the platform and fell on lava.

-I didn't had much of a problem through most of the 3rd Zone (Drowned Downtown). If I was running out of air, I could just grab a bubble without the fear of getting hit because the fishes were far enough to not get worried by them. I did get lost here and there but it wasn't much to worry about. The placement of the bubble patches was also very smart. What wasn't smart however, was to use water waves on top of death pits while you try to jump from platform to platform. I lost 5 LIVES on that part.
The boss could've get a LOT more hectic if I didn't hurry up to deliver the 3 last hits. Really man, skimmers are not the best enemies to use as their bombs plus the slime and plus being underwater makes it very hard battle to concentrate on the boss itself. On a side-note it was funny that the skimmers did the last hit on the boss.

-The 4th Zone was too much for me to bear. If that part where I lost 5 lives wasn't enough, the 2nd act of this was the icing on the cake.
Jetty-Syns on the most annoying places ever (platforming parts, snowy platforms, icy paths), Sneaky Pop-Up Turrets who're more annoying than the Jetty-Syns, and to top it off, the platform where the 2D section ended at Act 2 signed my death warranty so many times simply because it was icy. I kept walking off it over and over again that I decided to go to coop mode. As for the other path, I could simply not find a way to get through as sonic.

-As I went normally through the 1st act of the 5th Zone (Grizzled Columns, right?), I got stumbled as to why there wasn't a second path after the first checkpoint if the room with the rising quicksand was filled up. Otherwise the Zone was kinda tricky and at some points treacherous. The Boss was really a pain on the right and probably the left butt, just because of the quicksand. It became even more butthurt as it got faster. I still don't know how I managed to do that in less than 5 minutes.

-The 6th Zone (Fume Shaft) was quite dreadful. If you fell into the acid, you died. If you fell into slime, you would still die due to death pits below them. It wasn't much of a problem though. The fans are a real danger for Tails as he can't sustain the power of them. The Eye Candy on the zone was amazing, even though it was just some basic helmets and pickaxes. One thing left I have to say: In Act 2, at the point where the paths split, Tails can easily go through Sonic & Knuckles' path. I suggest you should add some gimmick on that path that makes Tails' player not go through it.

-The 7th zone (Launch Giftoff?) was average. It kept going on and on and sometimes I received a spiny up my feet because he saw me but I didn't, but there was this feeling of "Omg I'm about to go to space" or something. Plus the rocket sketch was really foreshadowing. ("Oh hey he escaped through the escape pod, how come I didn't saw that one coming even though I saw the sketch 10 times?")

-The 8th zone was where the game started to become boring, annoying, and LOOOOONG. I kept going back and forward because there was no way for me to tell where to go to get to end. And god, the stage kept dragging on, over and over and over and over AND OVER AGAIN. And that was the 1st ACT. At the end of the act I didn't even bothered to do the 2nd act; I went directly to the boss. Seriously man, No One likes 15 min+ acts, and even though the 7th zone was kinda long, it was bearable. This one wasn't.

-As I went through the Final Zone (Alien Armageddon), I was already annoyed by the previous one. The underwater part has way too much enemies for the amount of space it gives to the player. There also wasn't many directions, so I kept going back and forward. And if I died, I had to backtrack a LOT to get back where I died. And the zone kept dragging on too... There also was no direction as to what to do when you've arrived at the castle entrance.
As I "tried" to do the second act, I was fed up with all this. So after I died, I went to the boss.
The boss is definitively not coop-friendly. All I have to say is, add more shields, or scrap the slime idea completely.

-The final boss was "ugh". If I get hit, I get thrown away so far, because of the high gravity, that I fall into the death pit-ish lava. Every time. Reduce the gravity and make the characters bigger so that they can still get to Brak Eggman's head.

Overall it was a nice mod UNTIL I get the 8th zone. And even so there were tons of cheap stuff along the way to it. So I give this mod 3 stars, and I'm in a good mood right now, or else it'd have been 2.

-The 1st Zone (Sunshine Atoll) is alright for a, well, 1st Zone. What made me disappointed was that you couldn't put those Leaf Platforms to good use. Really, I was expecting to go to secret places by climbing on top of them.
I think this is the appropriate place to say I told you, Fawfulfan! I wholeheartedly agree.

-The 2nd Zone has a high difficulty spike, I swear.
Really? I found the zone quite easy. Then again, unlike the first zone, it has actual hazards, which does make it much more difficult.

I kept running on lava because there was not enough space to move around freely and most of the times I jumped, I over-jumped the platform and fell on lava.
Could you name some spots where this happens? I assume you're talking about the outside parts of act 1, but could you be a bit specific? In the second act, there are some excessively big and laggy rooms which make platforming quite difficult, but that is another issue.

What wasn't smart however, was to use water waves on top of death pits while you try to jump from platform to platform. I lost 5 LIVES on that part.
I really love that part, and in my one-year history of playing this pack, I think I lost maximum five lives on this trap altogether. And I played this a lot. In other words, are you sure you were careful enough? I don't think it's that difficult.

Jetty-Syns on the most annoying places ever (platforming parts, snowy platforms, icy paths), Sneaky Pop-Up Turrets who're more annoying than the Jetty-Syns
There are some very annoying Jetty-syns which I agree need to be removed, but the Pop-up Turrets were never much of a problem. Again, could you name some spots where this happened?

and to top it off, the platform where the 2D section ended at Act 2 signed my death warranty so many times simply because it was icy. I kept walking off it over and over again that I decided to go to coop mode. As for the other path, I could simply not find a way to get through as sonic.
Did you die after you switched back to 3D because you couldn't keep up with the control change? That happens to me quite often too, so yeah, this platform shouldn't be sending you into a death pit.

-As I went normally through the 1st act of the 5th Zone (Grizzled Columns, right?), I got stumbled as to why there wasn't a second path after the first checkpoint if the room with the rising quicksand was filled up.
This problem is gone in the new version simply because this whole section was remade. Although, you should have seen a coop-only path in the current version.

If you fell into slime, you would still die due to death pits below them.
Yeah, that needs to be changed. In two sections (one of them containing fans), the slime was changed to brown muck á la Mudhole Karst and the death pit was removed. I'm still trying to get Fawfulfan to replace all the purple slime with that.

It wasn't much of a problem though.
Then why is the zone so dreadful? ;)

One thing left I have to say: In Act 2, at the point where the paths split, Tails can easily go through Sonic & Knuckles' path. I suggest you should add some gimmick on that path that makes Tails' player not go through it.
Wait, Tails can't even enter that path normally. Did you play in Coop?

-The 7th zone (Launch Giftoff?) was average.
Well, why? (Except the fact that it's too long, which I definitely agree with for act 2. Act 1 is four minutes or something though, that should be too long.)

-The 8th zone was where the game started to become boring, annoying, and LOOOOONG.
Yep. Unfortunately, Fawfulfan flat-out refuses to remove anything from his levels without replacing it with something else.

Seriously man, No One likes 15 min+ acts, and even though the 7th zone was kinda long, it was bearable. This one wasn't.
Um, as much as I agree that SWZ is overlong, not even act 2 is 15 minutes long. Act 1 is about six minutes long, act 2 is about 10.

If I get hit, I get thrown away so far, because of the high gravity, that I fall into the death pit-ish lava. Every time.
That's entirely intentional.

Reduce the gravity and make the characters bigger so that they can still get to Brak Eggman's head.
They can get to his head without a problem if he's on the central platform.

So I give this mod 3 stars, and I'm in a good mood right now, or else it'd have been 2.
Um, since when does the quality of this pack depend on your mood?

Quote Response #3: Well, it was both on the inside and the outside, though I may say that it usually happened on the inside.
Then again it happened both on the inside and the outside so no section could really stand out from one another.

Quote Response #4: If it was difficult for me the first time going through it, then it definitively will for anyone else who goes there the first time.

Quote Response #5: Pretty much every Pop-Turret that hits you before you know it's there. And also Pop-Turrets that wait for you to use a spring so they shoot you right before your eyes and you fall back. I've only encountered one of these in the zone, but god are they annoying.

Quote Response #7: Except I was in Coop and I didn't found any other way.

Quote Response #9: Because even though it almost never gave me trouble, if any, this zone is the only one in the entire community to have so much acid on it.

Quote Response #10: Yes, I was playing coop cause I couldn't get as far as the act 2 of the 5th Zone as Sonic, and I was not doing another run-through of the first 4 zones again as Tails or Knuckles.

Quote Response #11: Really? I thought it was the contrary. Then again, both acts looked like the same so I couldn't remember if it was the first or second act.

Quote Response #14: Dude, then what's the point of having a ring if no matter what matters, you will die if you get hit?

Quote Response #16: Because I was fed up by the time I was writing that wall of text but I didn't wanted to be a totally negative review, so I just said that my review could've turned a lot worse.

Quote Response #3: Well, it was both on the inside and the outside, though I may say that it usually happened on the inside.
Then again it happened both on the inside and the outside so no section could really stand out from one another.
I really can't think of any place where that might happen, so unless you give me some example, nothing can be changed about it.

Quote Response #4: If it was difficult for me the first time going through it, then it definitively will for anyone else who goes there the first time.
Then why wasn't it difficult for me?

Quote Response #7: Except I was in Coop and I didn't found any other way.
Then you probably didn't see it, because I'm 100% sure there is one. Whatever, it's futile arguing about it since that section is gone anyway.

Quote Response #9: Because even though it almost never gave me trouble, if any, this zone is the only one in the entire community to have so much acid on it.
If it almost never gave you any trouble, then why is it such a bad thing?

Quote Response #14: Dude, then what's the point of having a ring if no matter what matters, you will die if you get hit?
Good point.

Actually, depending on how you get hit, there is a very small chance you'll land on a platform, in which case you'll survive. But admittedly, you have no control over where you go.

What wasn't smart however, was to use water waves on top of death pits while you try to jump from platform to platform. I lost 5 LIVES on that part.

Really? I find this rather easy and inventive!

The 6th Zone (Fume Shaft) was quite dreadful. If you fell into the acid, you died. If you fell into slime, you would still die due to death pits below them.

Yes, highly annoying. I'm backing you up SpiritCrusher as I can't wait for the evil slime pits to be replaced.

The 7th zone (Launch Giftoff?)

Launch Giftoff, I'm sorry but reading this absolutely made my day! XD

No One likes 15 min+ acts, and even though the 7th zone was kinda long, it was bearable. This one wasn't.

As SpiritCrusher said, the zones aren't 15 minutes long, even for your first time. However the zones are rather slow paced.

The underwater part has way too much enemies for the amount of space it gives to the player. There also wasn't many directions, so I kept going back and forward. And if I died, I had to backtrack a LOT to get back where I died. And the zone kept dragging on too... There also was no direction as to what to do when you've arrived at the castle entrance.

Really, I have no problem. If the rooms were bigger or the enemies were toned down this wouldn't be the 'FINAL' three act zone.

The final boss was "ugh". If I get hit, I get thrown away so far, because of the high gravity, that I fall into the death pit-ish lava. Every time.

It's annoying yes, why is the lava a death pit anyway?

UPDATE: I've been involved in another, very time-consuming project, so Tortured Planet hasn't gotten a lot of attention for the past couple of days. When I get around to resuming work, I have two fairly significant changes planned:

1. I'm finally gonna do what SpiritCrusher has been begging me to do since the release of the Final Demo, and delete the ERZ2 ripoff miniboss from LGZ2. I'll probably replace it with some kind of simple, short platforming section, and I have a tentative idea that is still based on ERZ (though this time it's inspiration, not a blatant ripoff).

2. I'm going to substantially cut back on Death Pits in FSZ, specifically wherever purple slime is concerned. Even if I don't end up replacing it all with brown muck, as Spiritcrusher wants, I'll certainly make it possible to escape.

ERZ2 ripoff miniboss from LGZ2

...What exactly is that? I'm over here racking my brains for what the Egg Rock Zone 2 miniboss is. Pardon me if I'm missing something obvious, but what the heck is this ripoff miniboss you speak of?

I'm talking about the blaster in the 2D section that chases you and fires lasers while the walls close in.

I'm talking about the blaster in the 2D section that chases you and fires lasers while the walls close in.

I don't understand what's wrong with it. Then again it is slightly annoying the way you have to stop in the middle of the action. Also, in the 2d part before hand there were times when I have 'sprung' fast enough to avoid the automatic zoom tube using the spring by merely running into it, can it be replaced with a tube you automatically walk into?

I don't understand what's wrong with it.
The fact that it is literally copypasted from ERZ2, and it's really bad etiquette to just steal a section of a level instead of coming up with something original. Not to mention that I don't wanna play the same thing in two different levels.

The fact that it is literally copypasted from ERZ2, and it's really bad etiquette to just steal a section of a level instead of coming up with something original. Not to mention that I don't wanna play the same thing in two different levels.

Mhmm, I get where you're coming from. I don't get why the section wasn't made harder in both acts also, it just felt like easily spin dashing out of the way.

Actually, that's not my own reasoning; if that was the only problem with that section, I'd probably keep it. What I don't like about it is that it's mind-numbingly dull after the first two times you play it. In ERZ2 it's not so bad, first of all because it is on a path split, second of all because it isn't compounded by lack of originality.

Actually, that's not my own reasoning; if that was the only problem with that section, I'd probably keep it. What I don't like about it is that it's mind-numbingly dull after the first two times you play it. In ERZ2 it's not so bad, first of all because it is on a path split, second of all because it isn't compounded by lack of originality.

Then why not make the sector more dangerous and shorten the amount of attacks it does to two or three?

Found a bug! (Well, actually it's a simple mapping mistake.)

zwcimp.png

The logs circled in the picture have the ice\sludge effect on them, along with the same tag of the mud, of-course.

The only reason I don't intend to do it is because I don't trust myself to make a good air glider section. Honestly, I don't think anyone has ever managed to do it (though Thompson came close).

By the way, since I have gotten multiple requests for it, I have inserted a simple leaf-hopping segment in SAZ1. They help you to reach a secret Attraction Shield towards the end of the level.

I may actually have a harder time cutting back on death pits throughout FSZ than I had assumed, however. But I have indeed gotten rid of a few in FSZ2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back