SRB2 is not reconizing my shift and caps lock keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I can recall, SRB2 doesn't recognize any keyboard layout other than US - an inherent issue of the Doom engine.
That's the problem with the Doom Engine. You guys should start working on a new game engine. I'm sure you can make one based off Lua. That and I get along. (Then again, I play roblox, and roblox uses lua.)

EDIT: Hell, you could probably (kind of) base a new engine off of ROBLOX's engine. At the least, no overhead map editors, we're talking 3D editors with similar tools to ROBLOX's editor.

Last edited:
I think you're really missing the point of SRB2, then. We're not switching engines, especially for something as trivial as bad keyboard support =P

Ask Randy Heit how he did it, I'm sure he or Graf Zahl will let you know. Apparently ZDoom can support these multiple keyboards.

As far as I know, all doom games, even the ones on the Xbox Live Arcade, use the same engine. A terrible graphics engine to be exact.

Anyway, it's not a big deal having a different keyboard.
Mine is A-OK for normal letters, but for special characters (~´;ç!=-) everything screws up in Srb2. So I just went pressing all those keys and memorized what they do inside the game.
I.E. the _~_ key on key keyboard register as the _"_ key on Srb2.

*sigh* Clearly you guys need an engine that recognises every single key. AT THE LEAST scrap the crappy doom engine and get another, very similar, engine. You can always base a new one off of the Doom engine, but change a couple things so that the game recognises each and every single key without thinking one key is another.

... Good point.

EDIT: At the least, implement keyboard recognition.

It's very hard to implement a bugfix when we've never seen the issue before. One of the problems in computer game development is that people have vastly different hardware setups, which can lead to issues when a small subsection of people have a problem, but none of the developers can reproduce it.

The game DOES recognize keyboard input. The only thing it doesn't recognize is the Caps Lock key, which is because our support for lower case letters was added later, Doom's original text was all displayed in upper case.

And that in itself has the added benefit of having less people typing in all-caps in netgames.

I could've very well added a check for caps lock when I introduced lowercase letters into 2.0 and the original XSRB2, but I decided against it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2.0 supports keymaps or something similar (ya know, for recognising international keyboards) doesn't it?

Sorry about using a non-meaningful topic name Torgo. I would rename the topic if I knew how (or if it is even possible).

Also, really ? SRB2 doesn't support keyboard recognition ? Darn. I guess i'll have to use the allcaps command for now. Also, despite what Bionciel said, I hate lowercase letters only so i'd rather have the classic 1.09.4 "text look".

Last edited:
I'm just like Brown the dog. Im portuguese and Mystic has a point.
Caps Lock key doesn't seem to do nothing on most of keyboards in SRB2, but there are a strange thing on that key.

When i click it, SRB2 goes to multiplayer mode.

Err... what ? How does the capslock key send you to multiplayer mode (or are you just being sarcastic) ? A;so, this problem has been on my chest for a while. Does anybody know a certain keyboard combination to make the letters/numbers that are next to what you type be pushed to the right and not replaced ?

Yay for every single sentence above this being a question !

Last edited:
Sorry about using a non-meaningful topic name Torgo. I would rename the topic if I knew how (or if it is even possible).

Don't worry, I renamed it for you. I believe you SHOULD be able to do it, but I am not quite sure how a normal user can do it.

Yes, you can. I just tested this as a normal user. If you are the creator of the topic, click the edit button and then click on "Go advanced". From there you should be able to change the topic.

This is getting too off topic, so we should get back to helping the original poster. Unfortunately I don't know anything that can help you with your shift button not working.

My shift button works perfectly fine. It might be an issue with the type of keyboard. If it's not qwerty, you gotta get a full qwerty keyboard. Chances are, SRB2 only works with qwerty keyboards when it comes to key rocognition.

My problem this time is the fact that SRB2 doesn't seem to recognize my shift and capslock keys. Any fix to this ?
there is a comman in option for upper and lower case letters.
EDIT:i don't know about you but shift works fine for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back