New 3D Sonic Game NEW SCREEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can be ridiculous, but after read ALL the thread, what's the game's name, eh? I can't found it...

I can say that I can vouch for the difficulty of programming in 2D. I KNOW I should be able to understand SDL and Allegro and all that. I just... don't. OpenGL is easy, though. Odd.

Command-line programs, though, which are all we've done in my C++ class (well, SOME graphics stuff, but nothing that'll get you far; they're vector-based and with a limited palette, too), are really freakin' easy. Oh sure, every now and then some odd assignment comes where you have to do something the teacher hasn't quite explained how to do, and that can be a challenge, but only about a day or two's work. And by a "day", I mean 45 minutes. Most of that's just debugging, since every now and then an odd glitch will occur that you can't understand. My latest program, for instance, was displaying a hex number for some reason; it took me a while, but it turned out I'd coded "cout<<cout<<[insert crap here];". Minor things like that.

I just want to get to memory pointers already, and why they're so invaluable. Other than allowing functions to directly manipulate variable data and maybe the odd array, I've not figured it out. But it'll be a while, we need to deal with vectors first. Not that I need it, I know how arrays work thanks.

Until then, all game programming sticks to The Games Factory. Seriously, about the most advanced game I can program right now is Pong...

SDL and Allegro? I don't know why but they both sounds me to some thing... Is programmed in a C++ based language, but not C++ pure?

They are, as far as I know, additional libraries you can use to make designing 2D games easier. I think one of them, if not both, has some OpenGL support, too, so 3D stuff can be done as well (though why you'd use SDL and/or Allegro for 3D and not just pure OpenGL or DirectX is beyond me).

SDL
Allegro

No, no... Exists a language that use C++ compilers and SDL and Allegro libraries... Is for 2D, but as is C++, obviously you can add libraries... I'm talking about a language codenamed CDiv...

There is no title for it yet... except the working title "Sonic Revisited 3D."

I need some good 3D modellers! If you want to help, PM me!

I like to use VB4 to program my games. Bitmap Block Transfer R0X0R5!!!

Best part of VB is that you can use VB to make utilities to make your game! For instance... Use an MDI program to make a map editor for your game!
*rambles on*

I used DIV for make games, but as DIV is DOS, I now use a Windows / Macintosh / Linux / Dreamcast variant of DIV: Fenix... In 2D, is best that DIV, and you can do games in 16-bit colour in full screen mode... And is freeware... BAD POINT: you can't do 3D games.

If you want it, please send me a PM... I won't be banned for publish Fenix's site... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back