Yes, the SRB2 Master Server is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we're at it, lets just remove the entire SRB2 multiplayer architecture! That will surely stop the evils of roleplay!

Wait, people can roleplay in single player also.

I motion for the removal of all game elements from SRB2. The menu system is a good enough game.

One of my main gripes with this is the lack of a legitimate, solid reason for it to be taken down. Stopping nooby roleplay and hangout servers doesn't exactly explain IMO. Much like what Blue Warrior wrote, who the hell gives a damn if someone is roleplaying or not? As long as the server is being enjoyed then it's serving it's purpose. I really don't see this going anywhere good, especially since SRB2ME is coming out soon.
When I first downloaded SRB2, I was oblivious to netgames of any sort. I mainly kept playing SRB2 and joined the forums because of the netplay (and custom content, plus the mixture of both). The Master Server is a huge part of the total SRB2 community. I mean, there's a gigantic portion of people who play SRB2 online, people not even on the forums that won't know important issues like this. By shutting the MS down, we're only appealing to a small portion of the community if you really come to think about it.

I pretty much agree with everything Ice just said. Taking away the Master Server is like amputating a person's legs for no reason.

*gasp* I leave for about 2, maybe 3 months, and this is what I have to come back to?!?!?!? Freakin' n00bs! *punches wall*

Chisuun said:
Ever heard of a beautiful and fun method of connecting to other servers called IP connect?

There's also a program called Hamachi. That's generally good for joining netgames. And as an added bonus, it doubles as an IM.

Ha-ma-chi. Look it up, glaber. You install it on your computer. What it does is it creates a virtual network that two people with Hamachi can join up to. In this virtual network, messages can be shared, so can files, and other networking functions are available. Of course, the real thing costs money, so I just have the trial version that does all this, but it expires every 60 days or so, which means I have to reinstall it. But in all fairness, Hamachi does have its purpose.

EDIt: to answer your question, Fawlfulfan, it has an IM feature, so you could communicate right there and then what WADs will be used.

I hope you guys are happy. You've killed off one of my big reasons to love SRB2. I still love it, of course, but...GRRRRRR...

Should there be a topic about this in the Colosseum? I could see this being very debatable.

fawfulfan said:
I hope you guys are happy. You've killed off one of my big reasons to love SRB2. I still love it, of course, but...GRRRRRR...

Just switch to another master server. I've already switched to the Sigsev Cafe master server.

Me too, for now.... But I think Cue might re-open it, After awhile when the noobs go way.(I hope you have patience.)

I switched to the SigSev Cafe Master Server too. It occurs to me that if enough people follow our lead, maybe it'll be like nothing has happened.

fawfulfan said:
I pretty much agree with everything Ice just said. Taking away the Master Server is like amputating a person's legs for no reason.
I agree with this completly

glaber said:
For that method you'd need SRB2 running windowed or have the ip printed out making it slightly harder then Nintendo Wifi.
While it would be harder to remember 100 different IPs, it would be quite a bit easier if the person just put all the IPs to a txt file. The IPs could be in seperate txt files, the autoexec file, or done the old fashioned way, handwritten. (Personally, I'd have all the IPs loaded as a seperate txt file, with a name that is easy for me to remember, because I might not want to play in a server if I had it on my autoexec)

Handwritten IPs are the classic way of knowing which IP belongs to which person. The downfall to this is that the paper might get lost over time.

Autoexecs are an easier way to this. They automatically load when you open up SRB2, which makes it easier to enter the server you want to join. The downfall to this is that you might not want to join a server, yet you do by accident.

Seperate txt files are an alternate way to autoexecs. The really good part about txt files is that the user can load the files when they need to load them. The downfall to this is that the user could make too many txt files, and might get confused as to which txt file has the IP address they want to join.

TL;DR: Txt files or autoexes are a bit easier to use than handwritten IP addresses, but they also can cause confusion, so the user has to be careful as to what they want to use.

TL;DR the TL;DR: txt files (autoexes) + Aliases + IP addresses = handwritten IPs

Vash said:
glaber said:
For that method you'd need SRB2 running windowed or have the ip printed out making it slightly harder then Nintendo Wifi.
While it would be harder to remember 100 different IPs, it would be quite a bit easier if the person just put all the IPs to a txt file. The IPs could be in seperate txt files, the autoexec file, or done the old fashioned way, handwritten. (Personally, I'd have all the IPs loaded as a seperate txt file, with a name that is easy for me to remember, because I might not want to play in a server if I had it on my autoexec)
Addressed in paragraphs one and three.
glaber paragraph 3 said:
Another thing is people may forget to record the ip somewhere for future use, making them have to hunt down the same ip again. Of course to continue the comparsion of "join by ip" to Nintendo Friend codes, the various games that use the friend code system automaticly save the code for future use so the person doesn't have to hunt down the code again.

One thing to remember was that the former MS was a privately owned server. In reality, it was totally separate from SRB2; and while it definitely fueled it, it was also under the jurisdiction of a select few. It's more like cutting off a benefit from a job since the business's economy requires it rather than chopping legs off.

The benefits of having a few different master servers:
1) It would actually be easier to find (relevant) games... CTF/Match hardcore players would host and be on the "Pro" server, casual Coop/Match players would host and be on the "fun" server, and unorthodox players would host and be on the "Open" server. If not, a "normal" and an "open" server would easily be enough to suit everyone.

We could ask on the generousness of, say, Oogaland to add an easy way to manage a small list of MSes on his MS launcher.
If we had a centralized list like I mentioned on my past reply, this would be easy to manage even for those who aren't so bright or are too scared to use command lines. We already expected to have n00blies magicially feel obligated go and read the obscurely placed rules to the MS anyways, so I'm assuming expecting them to go to the forums to look at a list isn't much harder. If anything, this will make the newbies more understanding of the concept of "Master Server" and how one has obligations to meet to if you use another's service.

2) They will be privately owned, but then we aren't expected to only have one limiting master server like before. Hosts can deal with their own rules, sure - but then someone who is banned could just hop on another friendlier one. This is actually a good thing - and there could always be a updated list of IPs of, say, total hackers for everyone to ban.

3) One's down? Just jump on another.

4) The upcoming rush of new people that will result due to SRB2ME will easily make this system more possible. People who want different experiences will go to their respective servers rather than causing Cue to commit suicide, and the system will sustain itself!

Hamachi is a redundant and ridiculous way of hosting games... It's MUCH more effort and and quite a bit more annoying than even setting up your own MS or using IP connect. Only the host actually needs the open ports, so why put everyone else through the suffering?
Oogaland developed a SRB2 executable some time ago that allowed people to host without opening ports - isn't that feature in SRB2ME now?

The whole point of IP games is to round up a bunch of people personally and then tell them your IP to join, not as a viable perma-solution. There is absolutely no reason to have a "list of IPs".
IP join is easy if you have the launcher... We need to make this kind of stuff obvious to everyone (launchers, tools, existence of rules, new MSes, etc) instead of blindly thinking that they should "know better" and selfishly dismiss those who don't.

As for a temporary solution? Tell EVERYONE you know who cares about SRB2 to switch to Bluewarrior's MS. Tell them how to update to it if you have to - at the rate this is going, this is going to be a collaboative effort, and therefore we better all be willing to work with each other to create a positive netgaming experience for all of us. If you don't feel so, then you really do not care.

Thank you for completely summarizing my view of the entire discussion, Penopat. Your post just about hit the nail on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back