Yes, the SRB2 Master Server is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spiderpig said:
*gives the finger* You just ruined my only reason to like srb2.

Granted, we probably don't want you here if anyway if you're going to be spicy about it.

Spiderpig said:

*gives the finger*
= FAIL

IP isn't that bad. I might be able to see why you are so bitter about it since IP joining is a little broken 1.09, but that isn't a reason to act like that.

In response to Flame's post, wouldn't that be even more work?

Flame said:
Why not remake the ban system to only allow specific IP's of users? IP's of users that Cue trusts of course.

This is a thing I was going post in "Why can't we roleplay on SRB2?" topic some weeks ago. I had written a post in a txt file to post later, as I thought this could "never" happen, I didn't, but I kept the text saved in my PC

I'm posting it now just to show my point of view. It's a tad outdated.

Why good servers (even if few) must suffer same penalty together with bad servers? The penalty I'm speaking of is "Let's get rid of MS, period".

The problem starts when we offer a free-service for a people that don't bother to read and follow the MS rules. We are offering a privilege to the kids who did nothing to deserve it. What value would you give for something that was given freely?

After downloading SRB2, anyone can host a server and has the power to do what he wants to do with the server, including breaking the MS rules.

The focus of the problem is not in using MS or in its existence, but it's in hosting a server on MS. Better: the problem is on who hosts. Who makes a server bad is the person who hosts. If I host a server (people know me) and a player joins and starts requesting char wads, asking for RP or acting like an idiot, I say "NO SORRY", ask to stop or ban/kick him. I could guess most of us makes the same.

What I can suggest is to keep Master Server up under following conditions:

- only reliable members could host freely on MS (a safe IP list?);
- disallow everyone else from hosting on MS;
- everybody can use MS to join servers, obviously they will join good servers only, because only reliable members can host and they'll be under reliable members.

I think we know very well who is doing a good usage from MS and who is not. Why don't we grant the right of hosting on MS only for reliable members?

If a noob asks "how I can host on MS? 'cause I cant!" We can answer "Go to Message Board, sign up for account, and if you prove you are a decent member (being a helpful member, participating in contests; no bans; no warns etc and so on), we will give you the right of hosting on MS. If later you start breaking the rules, we will revoke your privileges". This way people will be "paying" for a privilege and will start giving due value for it. If they want to open a RP server, they'll be forced to open a private server.

About "Decent netgames ALREADY no longer exist": It's like "There are violence everywhere, so peace no longer exists". I can guarantee there are good servers, few, but they still exist. Yesterday I played one, a CTF. Even co-op servers, once in a while, I found a playable one. Even when I host a co-op server with Mystic Realm, Acid Missile or even official maps, I can make it interesting, people get involved with goals... if someone start being a problem, I merely kick or ban such player.

I think MS very handy and useful when I want to play or host.

It's not the end of the world. Join by IP is not so bad. As far as you know who's on, when they are on and their IPs. I think everyone will find a way.

Anyway I respect the decision. I don't have to complain about anything, really, otherwise I'd be being unfair.

MS was not a right, was a privilege.

EDIT: I hope I'm not compelling anyone to set MS back. This is not a protest nor a request. I thought it would be worthwhile to be posted once I had written that.

The problem with "Safe IP list" is that if a trusted member has a frequently changing IP, they won't be able to host netgames.

Also, I'll try to see if I can get Blue Warrior to re-host Sigsev's master server.

I can't say I like this new decision. I mean, one of the main things that I liked about SRB2 is it's simplicity with netgames. Just a few simple clicks and you get a list of netgames of which you could join with ease. Sure this is a minor inconvenience for people who want to play online, but I just feel kind of empty now that it's gone. I respect the decision but I can't say I like it.

Cue's master server is gone and there's nothing anyone can do about it. You're just going to have to find a method a netplay that works better or stick with joining by IP. But don't worry! I think I'll be trying my hand at this master server business once more. Perhaps this time it'll actually be used!

In the meantime: http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/User:Blue_Warrior/Sandbox#SRB2MS

Observe.

You know, I really have mixed feelings about this. Given the recent downgrade of fun/decent servers in recent months, I kind of guessed that this would happen. To be honest, I'm not terribly bothered about it, but I still feel a slight pang of regret. Has anyone noticed that ever since the "users" of the MB stopped creating decent Multiplayer/coop maps in releases, It has been a downward spiral of bullcrap servers and hangout drivel? I remember going to the levels section and finding a new map being worked on EVERY DAY. Now I'll be lucky to come through one day and find a reply on the board AT ALL.

When's the last time someone played a level pack that DIDN`T have the words "Mystic" or "Realm" in it? And don't even get me started on that poor neglected prodigy child of a match pack called Jazzattack. I believe the problem of the MS stems from extreme boredom from its users, and lack of wholesome content to play (Those "quickie" match levels don't even really count to me).
To make myself clear, I'm not putting everyone in the same boat. I'm only generalizing the situation.

Kuja said:
When's the last time someone played a level pack that DIDN`T have the words "Mystic" or "Realm" in it?
Shame on me.

To be honest, it's hard to find a decent level pack other than Mystic Realm, Acid Missile and TEI. A day, I hosted Blue Heaven, but it was a deception because you have to use "-force" every time (I would really glad to see a BH multiplayer version).

I apologize, but other level packs have "serious problems" in their level concept or are unfinished. But there are a lot of good co-op maps everywhere (OLDC's?) that could be bundled into a decent level pack.

I can see why Cue done this, hosting a MS would be very draining on your resources and money, and the fact that people still hosted RP and hangout servers were seen as an insult (in my eyes) to the people who made the rules, it looked like they were saying "Screw your rules were gona play what we want lolzorz" However pulling the plug on the whole thing was a wee bit drastic, I would personally think the safe IP list idea would be the best way to counter this, but at least we can still IP host netgames and have fun with people we know.

cue is not cool anymore
[spoiler:7247f72535]
Fail-2.jpg
I sorry but this is what he does until he puts it back up... Only then will he
win.jpg
Please dont ban me...[/spoiler:7247f72535]
Tell me if I should remove this comment.

I personally don't mind much. If anything, I play SRB2 to test mods. And if I DO host, it's private, dispite my sudden ability to host publically perfectly fine.

1.) It saves no money, Logan still pays for the server.
2.) Overwhelmed isn't the word you're looking for Spazzo, it's 'sick of it'.

zeldagamer00 said:
The problem with "Safe IP list" is that if a trusted member has a frequently changing IP, they won't be able to host netgames.

I could soon solve that with a little script, it would probably require people to use a little web page to update their IP, entering a username and password to manage their IPs or something like that.

Oh, and by the way, SigSev's MS has been up for 17 days 22 hours (as of when I made this post).

Well, I think one word can describe my feelings towards this: damn.

I guess this means no srb2live, either- I was under the impression it was going to use the ms extensively.

I don't think this is a very good idea, either. In order to play online, people now have to become involved with the community, rather than just casually looking for a game to try it out.

Rather than police the MS, why don't you just let it be? If a server is hosting a stupid game, nobody will join it and problem solved. You're going to have this problem with any online game. Ever use Gamespy?

Cue said:
zeldagamer00 said:
I could soon solve that with a little script, it would probably require people to use a little web page to update their IP, entering a username and password to manage their IPs or something like that.
I can see how this could work as well, but would it be possible to have hostmasks allowed too? (As mine for an example) Something like my DynDNS hostmask, fireflame.servebbs.net instead of my IP.

Although this doesn't really matter to me, as I only ever played over a Hamachi network, it's sad to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back