Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike how the entire foreground is just a strip of land in 3D rather than a real 3D re-imagining for the background and foreground. Does this have to do with limitations?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...tions-Collectors-Edition-is-a-Thing-of-Beauty

So I don't know if we heard of a Collector's Edition of this game or not, but here's the full list of what will be in it.
  • A statuette, featuring the two genus of hedgehog that appear in the game. The squat, finger-wagging Sonic of yore (Squatus Classicus), and the taller, slimmer, and vastly more aggravating Sonic of recent years (Obnoxious 'tude Maximus).
  • A commemorative "Gold Ring," which, if there is any justice in this world, will come with a tiny pamphlet that explains, in strictly legal terms, that the ring will not save your life should you accidentally impale yourself on a spike.
  • An art book.
  • The 20th Anniversary Sonic soundtrack, which had better feature the Chemical Plant Zone theme or there will be violence.
  • The History of Sonic: the Birth of an Icon documentary.
  • Bonus downloadable content for the game itself.
Seems like a decent amount of stuff for the game. I'll probably get it. What does everyone else think?

I hate my life.

Try living without any exclusives ever being released in your region and not being able to use Wii, XBox and PS3 online features...

Anyways I've stopped caring for this game, mainly because it's just gonna be another daytime Sonic Unleashed.

Sonic being the only playable character for the FOURTH time in a row pissed me off, specially since the gameplay is exactly the same.

So far I've only seen Sonic, Tails and Eggman... AGAIN, meaning other characters will either not appear or have close to no influence at all.

And once AGAIN, no multiplayer..

As for something that might actually interest you, this is an aniiversary game, so it's date is set to Sonic's 20th birthday, meaning, if the game isn't complete, they'll rush it. So anything can come out from this.

Actually, this game isn't set to Sonic's birthday. It's supposed to come out this year, but SEGA have shown they've been much better at managing their teams recently. If it was rushed for Sonic's birthday, it would have come out a couple of months ago - in fact, that's when the Demo was released.

Sonic being the only playable character for the FOURTH time in a row pissed me off, specially since the gameplay is exactly the same.

So far I've only seen Sonic, Tails and Eggman... AGAIN, meaning other characters will either not appear or have close to no influence at all.

And once AGAIN, no multiplayer..

Isn't this what the fans wanted? No more "pointless" characters? This is Sonic's anniversary.
And what would be the point of multiplayer? More pointless racing (eg SA2, Heroes, 06, etc)? And co-op wouldn't work either even in classic gameplay since it would end up being the same as Sonic 3; not very co-op-y and more like a gimmick.

Anyways I've stopped caring for this game, mainly because it's just gonna be another daytime Sonic Unleashed.
Which Colors was also, and it got excellent reception. And even if the game has this gameplay yet again it's because it works well and still shows it in Generations.
Sonnarkku said:
http://i.imgur.com/ETOTZ.png
The "Switch Characters" thing might imply possible other characters, but it could just mean switching from Modern to Classic in the hub. Not to mention, someone on Retro who has so far perfectly predicted the level list also mentioned possible "skins", which then another user confirmed via "sources". But once again, do not quote me on this.

I do find the Skills Customization thing interesting, also I'll leave these other two things here for other people to look at.
http://i.imgur.com/vrbKa.png

http://i.imgur.com/PRgBa.png
Then again, I have no problems if Sonic is the only character, to me it would be better for Sega to get the gameplay down right before deviating to other characters for more gameplay.
Sonnarkku said:

And once AGAIN, no multiplayer.
Actually, there is a picture showing the more expanded cast, It's just a few pages back actually.

Also the demo leak has shown some missions would be involving doing coop missions with them as well as some form of "VS." against them.

As for multiplayer, 3DS has been confirmed to have it. The HD versions having it would be interesting, but I don't see how well it would work if it was inspired from the Modern Gameplay, what with the crazy boost as opposed to the more tame Colors boost.

Sonic 3; not very co-op-y and more like a gimmick.

Yet those awesome gimmicks are one of the many things that make games cool. It was completely unnecessary to have someone play as Tails, but at the same time, it was a heck of a lot of fun to be able to mess around as such. I'm all for half co-op gimmicks. Of course, they should never replace full co-op, but full co-op doesn't work well in typical Sonic gameplay. I mean, really. Would you rather have nothing at all? I see no reason for that.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario Galaxy 2 minus Orange Luma
Sonic 3 > Sonic 3 minus playable 2nd player

Have you guys ever tried the coop on Sonic Advance 3? In my opinion that is how it should be. Both players running through the levels, and if they need help they can call the other to them. The only thing I would add is to let Tails pick Sonic up with out him using the tag action, like in Sonic 3. (and SRB2)
This would work great in both 2D, and 3D gameplay, at least, I wouldn't have a problem with it, just don't give us like 6 or 7 levels made for coop like in 06. Or 21 not so fun levels like in Colors. I wanna be able to play through the whole game like in Sonic Advance 3.

Last edited:
Which Colors was also, and it got excellent reception. And even if the game has this gameplay yet again it's because it works well and still shows it in Generations.
And this should be a damned shame. Remember that Retro Sonic in Modern Green Hill Zone footage? Remember how it showed how claustrophobic, restricted and linear it was? I sure do. And this guy is also tired of Claustrophobia: The Racing Game.

>using character in gameplay which he doesn't belong in
>using this to complain about the gameplay

Damnit, Greg, when will you learn?

>not having greentext on forums

He just put everything I thought about this game in words.

At-least Chemical Plant and City Escape aren't nearly as linear as Green Hill is.

Seaside Hill also has tons of 3D platforming.

YBafp.jpg

rFvIi.jpg

tiufD.jpg

>using character in gameplay which he doesn't belong in
>using this to complain about the gameplay

Damnit, Greg, when will you learn?

>not having greentext on forums
>Completely missing my point.
>Commence explanation.

Regardless of which character and gameplay you put into the level, it's still a claustrophobic, lifeless hallway to run through as fast as you can in order to move onto the next level. No matter which way you dice it, it's bad level design.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/09/online-multiplayer-confirmed-for-sonic-generations-3ds/

Aside from Super Sonic(s), 3DS version is getting Online MultiPlayer.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/119/1191996p1.html

Also, an interview involving Sonic Advance not existing anymore. According to the translator I think.

I don't get why the XBOX 360 and PS3 version don't have online mutilplayer, just like the ds version of Sonic Colors gets online mutilplayers and the wii version don't.

Last edited:
>Completely missing my point.
>Commence explanation.

Regardless of which character and gameplay you put into the level, it's still a claustrophobic, lifeless hallway to run through as fast as you can in order to move onto the next level. No matter which way you dice it, it's bad level design.

If it will make you feel any better, (Highly doubt it considering Generations did nothing to satisfy.) But Takishi Iizuka has stated Generations is the end of "a period" of Sonic games which some forums might mean the "Claustrophobic, Lifeless hallway" gameplay you despise so much might be switched out for some new type of gameplay. Don't quote me on this though, I just think it would be interesting to see what would come out of it.

EDIT:

6140727710_72d32cf4ea.jpg

http://blogs.sega.com/2011/09/12/sonic-generations-rivals/

I look forward to the inevitable screenshots that will be released.

Last edited:
And they have being doing it for years. Instead of clamoring for a change that won't come, why don't you move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back