New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
N2? lolwut?

so...sonic 4 is on the PC or something? that link only explain so little to me...and didn't i see a similar sign that said it would be on the Iphone?

Originally Posted by Compsense
o hay guyz wats dis

promo4.png

Found it in the xml. Here's the original link. Also, I found this in the updated site's flash, but being I hadn't seen it before, I figured I'd share it (might be important).

symbol21.png

The enemies part is probably fake because the site itself recently revealed the badniks page. The N2 however...

I still would like to see it released on a disk instead of as a download only title.

Maybe they will when all episodes are out.

Hmm... You know, this whole thing with the Modern Sonic versus Classic Sonic debate makes me wonder....

What if SEGA had redesigned Mickey for the Warren Spector Disney game?

2dl43ts.jpg

It's.... just as ugly as the new Sonic design.

Credit goes to ChadTheCartoonNut for the picture.... Originally had language in it.

I hope for the final boss they try to expand on the bad ending of Sonic & Knux... With Mecha sonic and eggrobo...

I have to disagree with you on the point about the new design. I actually like the new design for Sonic. It just looks better than the old version. But, that's just me.

But, that Mickey is just... stupid.

Honestly, the fact that Sega isn't using Sonic's classic model is a real dissapointment to me. I've finally figured out how to compare how I feel about them just reusing the Unleashed model for Sonic's "return to greatness".

Imagine, when you first heard about Mega Man 9, you were excited and wanted to see what it was like. Then it turns out you're playing as Mega Man.EXE, and the only way to have regular Mega Man is by paying extra for him. And not even that is a 100% guarantee.

This was supposed to be a complete retro experience for all the people who've waited 11 years for the sequel to what's still considered one of the greatest games ever. Instead, we got Sega copping out and deciding this game will be a waste of money because the little kiddies who make fancharacters and think Sonic characters should be in a relationship will cry if they don't keep listening to them.

And yet I'll still buy this game and all the episodes anyway. I come back to Sega like an abused wife.

He's still blue.
He still has spines
He still rolls.
He still runs fast.
He still partakes in a game based around classic ideals.

As long as those things are fulfilled, I see no reason to give a ****. Honestly, I know it's a classic themed game and all, but black eyes and a small (and I mean small) body modification means next to nothing as long as the game plays as advertised and doesn't suck as a result. This has to be one of the most laughable nitpicks imaginable.

Also, the Mickey comparison is pretty retarded too. The modern Sonic "redesign" at least actually had some genuine merit (you know, taking the "radical" ideal and all), whereas Mickey was more or less a children's mascot the whole time. Try Crash Bandicoot next time.

Hmm... You know, this whole thing with the Modern Sonic versus Classic Sonic debate makes me wonder....

What if SEGA had redesigned Mickey for the Warren Spector Disney game?

<image>

Credit goes to ChadTheCartoonNut for the picture.... Originally had language in it.

That image looks bad because it was poorly made. The new Sonic design has been redone multiple times over, but he's never simply been scaled and recolored.
What about Zelda? Nintendo LOVES to make nods to the past, but the one thing they never think to do is to bring back older Zeldas. I can't say as I'd blame them, aspects of the current princess design work really well.

Old design
3D Game design (1) and 3D Game design (2)
Recent Design and Recent Design (2)

.. even if you compare even those designs to THIS or THIS there's a huge difference.

Naturally the difference between Sonic and that series is that the continuity (lol) of the example I presented gives more of an excuse for the design to change radically. However, Sonic's never had such a dramatic change as that. His design really hasn't changed all that much more than Luigi (who was stretched, got more detailed colors, and was 3d in the latest nostalgic outing).

In the end, its about using a "standard" design. Brawl has TP Zelda, Luigi's still lanky as ever and also happens to be 3D in NSMB DS/Wii. This is the way Sonic has looked for the past ten years, except I personally feel the design used in Unleashed and Sonic 4 looks far more like the design in Sonic 3 than SA-S06. Just watching the video, it really does look like a logical evolution based on technology.

I actually like the new design, its just that Sonic 4 took place after Sonic 3&K which had Naoto Ōshima's orginal, younger design. It doesn't look right.

Just gonna nick this off of FN's post on SSMB so people don't go "baw old" when someone brings it up five days from now. We've got some more concept art, it appears to be a fish.

afish.jpg

It looks more inspired by Sonic 2's fish than Sonic 1. Some attentive folks at the message boards have noticed that it actually seems to be a hybrid between Sonic 2 and Sonic 1.

StH_Chopper.gif
gabuccho.gif

Two dorsal fins, the placement of the pectoral fin, and the use of steel fins all around, and the flat edged tailfin are inspired by the first one. It bears more in common with the second one but the entire face is a separate piece with the eye fitting in between that and the body.

My guess is that it jumps aimlessly from waterfalls below bridges like both of its predecessors. Although if it became more intelligent like the Motobug does, maybe it will wait for you and THEN jump, wouldn't that be annoying? XD

Fingers crossed for the Caterkiller... that thing's a classic. Even more so than (giant enemy) crabmeat and the buzzbomber in my humble opinion.

Alright. That's it. This isn't Sonic 4. This is New Sonic the Hedgehog. A Masher/Jaws? Yeah, I like him, but if anyone remembers the classics didn't use the same robots all the time. There was always a new series of Badniks and a few built upon (Orbinaut).

So.... Shellcracker, Motobug, Masher, and Batbot. That's 4 of the 9 Badniks to be revealed on the site. In other words, this game is a rehash. Not a sequel. If this is a sequel to anything it's to Sonic Pocket Adventure.

SEGA... When will you LEARN?

GREG, there's nothing preventing the any of the other five badniks from being original, nor is the game limited to only nine badniks. I could have sworn these promotional sites didn't attempt to reveal every little detail, at least when I was young; There was enough known content to coax people to buy the game, yet enough content was not disclosed to ensure that the game itself was still a fresh experience.

And while new enemies are a nice luxury, I'd much rather prefer that any enemies in this game are balanced and work well together. Green Hill Zone was great in this regard because each enemy's attacks kept the player on his toes. Sure, you've passed that bridge with the Bata-Batas, but be sharp or you'll run smack dab into a Motora or Beeton projectile. You've outrun that quartet of Meleons, but Gani-Gani's attack on the ledge above could catch you unawares. Uni-uni and Bomb in Starlight Zone engage in similarly formidible teamwork.

My primary concern with this game is a personal lack of availability. I don't play console games here at college and the family Wii back home isn't connected to the internet. A PC download is my only legitimate opportunity to play this game in the near future. And boy, do I want to play it...

Last edited:
Alright. That's it. This isn't Sonic 4. This is New Sonic the Hedgehog. A Masher/Jaws? Yeah, I like him, but if anyone remembers the classics didn't use the same robots all the time. There was always a new series of Badniks and a few built upon (Orbinaut).

So.... Shellcracker, Motobug, Masher, and Batbot. That's 4 of the 9 Badniks to be revealed on the site. In other words, this game is a rehash. Not a sequel. If this is a sequel to anything it's to Sonic Pocket Adventure.

SEGA... When will you LEARN?

Okay.
Greg the Cat...
After seeing every post you've made in here fromt he praising to the sharp drop into complaining, I can safely say this:
You are one of the most disgusting and vile Classic Sonic Fanboys I have EVER seen.

You see that SEGA did in FACT learn from their mistakes by making a 2D game that's actualy based around the old games and momentum, then you look at it, see it has some of the same robots that WERE in ALMOST EVERY SINGLE GAME but instead of being under a different name and design, they're the same ones but modern-ish, and THEN you call it a rehash and HATE it when EVERY GAME FROM SONIC 1 TO S3&K WAS BASICALLY A REHASH and also criticize it for having NEW elements like the Homing attack even though it was in earlier 2D games and was more of a novelty, and STILL call it a rehash?

Don't deny it. Look at these badniks, they're CONSTANLY rehashed; The Motobug, the Coconuts, the Buzzbomber, the Crabmeat, the Caterkiller, the Chopper, the Burrobot, the Unidus, the Jaws, and possibly a few more I'm forgetting. Basically, you're hating SEGA for doing what they HAVE done and doing what the fans WANTED by making a true-to-their-roots-for-real-this-time 2D game, and you dub it as a rehash because they've recycled bots like they HAVE done in all 3 titles? And let's not even get started on the OTHER things being rehashed constantly in this series...

They HAVE learned, they ARE providing, and you throw it in their faces like a spoiled brat. You are NO better than all the Shadow fans, all the 06' lovers, and all the stupid kids that blindly follow Sonic. Actually, you're worse; you're an ADULT and blindly following OLD Sonic years later, without learning a single thing. So instead of being a stupid kid, you're an adult acting like one. Even me, one of the (as anyone on #srb2fun can tell you) most immature people here, can see that you are acting like a spoiled rotten child but years older and far more pathetic. You want your dream Sonic 4? Go play a ROM hack. It's as close as you're ever gonna get to your definition of a Sonic 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back