• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic 3D Robo Blast; A working tittle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using SRB2CB with it? This is an exclusive SRB2CB mod.

Correction, This is exclusively an SRB2CB PNG Edition mod.

The textures not only don't meat the size and color requirements of vanilla CB but are also filed differently, between TX_START and TX_END. They wont render properly without PNG Edition.

Just stumbled onto this topic and I will say this actually looks kinda cool.

Just noticed this little line and figured I'd add my own 2 cents worth in.
Correction, This is exclusively an SRB2CB PNG Edition mod.

If you're using PNGs in the first place, have you considered using some form of the Saturn's more stylized textures all-around? Purely aesthetic but I think they might be worth consideration.

Some relevant links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCaa9wbUaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXykLUa6oyw

Just a thought

If you're using PNGs in the first place, have you considered using some form of the Saturn's more stylized textures all-around? Purely aesthetic but I think they might be worth consideration.

Indeed I have considered it. I thought about it long and hard. I think they would add nifty edge to the whole thing, making it a little more modern than the Genesis version. A single tile on the ground is 128x 128. At this scale the tiles lack detail, even after adding details not found in the Genesis version (in which the tiles are flat in color and separated by thin black lines) It would certainly be a shoot in the arm for texture creation and take full advantage of PNG, which I really wanna do!!!

Now for my "however" statement:p

However, I hit a few snags when wanting to add these kinds of textures. 1st, The textures I'm making are done by hand with nothing fancier than MSPaint and the hirez processing of my own eyeballs, so I'm expecting them to be more time consuming. Though the work involved doesn't daunt me in the least, I haven't been able to try a proof of concept yet because... 2nd, I have no high quality screen shoots. 3rd, All Saturn emulators I've tried haven't worked out for me (this is something I've been trying to do for about 2 years to no avail)

You're not the first to ask about Saturn textures and ideally this is the rout I want to take. I'll take this opportunity to let everyone who's interested know that if and when I get the tools and technologies working I will be using Saturn textures!

EDIT: The Critiques I've received concerning Saturn textures have prompt me to double my efforts. Come hell or high water block, I will get them in!

Last edited:
"SRB2 Heroes", uh? Then looks like my 'Special Madness' was quite a spoiler to that. I can't imagine Sonic Heroes in a PC version. No wad can do such thing, only with Source Code Mods. This project might take a few years... Good luck with it.

What in the world are you talking about? Either you misread or misinterpretedthe name of this wad, post it in the wrong thread, or I am missing something.

For some reason, the game crashes when I play in software mode, but not in opengl.
I get huge lag when I play almost anything in opengl. Is there a way to make this work in software mode?

Is there a way to make this work in software mode?

This mod is SRB2CB based, not vanilla SRB2 based.

You can go ahead and try to use the mod in vanilla SRB2, but I'll tell you something, there is gonna be a lot of redwalls.

And if you want Software mode in SRB2CB, too bad.

SRB2CB does not support Software mode at all.

I've played CB lots of times in software mode with no problems. So I don't know what you mean (Then again, this is the only mod I've tried that actually uses anything in SRB2CB). Software mode is the only way I can play Tortured Planet without it going under 1 FPS. =p

Software mode still works, but 95% of CB's new features are exclusive to OpenGL. That includes slopes, and this mod uses them a lot.

Not to go off topic, but it sounds like you have a graphics driver problem.

What operating system are you running? What graphics card does dxdiag say you have?

(for the sake of the topic maybe we should take this to PM or another thread or something)

Last edited:
Whole lot going on!!!

Forgive me if this feels like a bump but I've still been hard at work.

I've completed several more zones including; RRZII, SSZII, and all boss acts. I'm mid-way through mapping Diamond Dust and Volcano Vally. I've also started Gene Gadget and Panic Puppet. I'll post some screen shoots when I'm done with my next priority, textures!

More recently I've finally figured out how to get MD2s into my game and that prompted me to take full advantage of PNG's capabilities and re-engineer all my textures. I apologize to the members that were looking forward to Saturn style textures. I got the emulators working but I still have never gotten Saturn 3D Blast to work on them. My solution is to make my own, creating a visually unique experience.

I've still been reading the forums and looking at others' work. It's clear that not just any textures or game play experience will thrill the masses. Lucky for planet Earth that I am just the guy to rise to such a challenge:D

EDIT: I've also finally fixed all my buggy zoom tubes!

Last edited:
Damn this wad looks promising. And sadly I just noticed it after it been months since you made it Sparks. I think at this rate, you will make amazing wad that everyone will love and enjoy. The slopes look amazing as well since setting up slopes in SRB2CB can be such a pain depending on what slope your trying to make.

Anyway I am looking forward for this wad to be finish and ill be keeping my eyes on this topic as well.

Are you using SSF? S3D works just fine for me on that.

Yes I am. I've downloaded 3D Blast 3 or 4 times now but I can't seem to get it to load. The Saturn sits there in CD mode & tells me the game is unsuitable.

While I'm here, check this out. I saw this in RRZ but thought it was side effect of a wall I needed to place behind a slope. Here I demonstrate it again in DDZ and as you can clearly see, there are no walls behind it.

Knuckles climbing on floors and cielings!

Kt1YG.png

At what point, does anybody think that the collisions of slopes start behaving more like walls than floors or cielings? How can we take advantage of this when it comes to tweeking the collisions to get our heros running up walls?

Last edited:
New Suff!!!

OK, so I've been workin' on this for about a year now & things have really come along. I wanna thank everybody for their help & advice and let y'all see a little something of where everything's at now.

Unfortunately I can't make a download available because I'm working on some secrets that I haven't completely concealed yet and a battery of mechanics I've yet to perfect.

But here's the good news...

Cosmetics;
The zones now feature a host of new textures, taking full advantage of CB(PNG) capabilities. The zones all have their own fog color, bringing a whole new dimension to the game play.

I've also started playing with skybox. Another CB feature I decided to employ. I've read about them & I understand there's some debate on just how small the landscape features need to be to look right. Let me put it this way... The standard running tiles of the game are 128X 128. The tiles you'll see in my skyboxes are 4x 4.

GGZI
Fog color
QAzDKw1.png

Track layout;
I've tried for a long time to keep the tracks as-is but test after test showed me that not only was the game suffering a huge amount of lag but the some of the runways could be longer. Luckily a single solution solved both problems. Picking & choosing which runways to stretch has separated large parts of the maps from each other, increasing running space &
greatly reducing lag!!!

GGZII
fvst8wj.png

I've also inverted allot of the obstacles along the courses. So where a stair case (for example) ran down & could be jumped over, now ascends creating more up hill challenge.

RRZI
Up-hill!
TqbDVGz.png

Longer running spaces!
6XnHd4S.png

RRZII
Huge landscapes made possible by reducing lag!!!
duCuTXw.png

SSZ has done allot of growing up!!!
Featuring my second skybox
wpvuZmH.png

New textures no longer make SSZ look like a pizza parlor.
The bulls-eye wall paper design has been replaced with a far more satisfying star pattern & I've used the floor tiles on walls making SSZ look like it's built out of candy!!!
KsEdzO1.png

Where I have had to lower the Z position of everything to only 50% to accommodate the lower jump of the SRB2 heroes all over the game, SSZ is a special exception due to the place being littered with springs which are now essential to making it out of the zone. SSZ is the only one in the game where the dimensions keep true to the original game in all 3 dimensions
NJjzRuF.png

The retracting floor spikes are fully working & totally perfect!!!
If you land on the surface you have a split-second to get up before your slapped in the face with these killers.
mKxOe9Q.gif

The spikes stay up as long as you're on the ground & slide back down when you're not!!! This was finally achieved with a set of FOFs & my own spike design. With no un-nessesary drawing of each spike hole, each spike in the traps moves along with each other with no risk of making them shoot out further or sinking lower than they should. They move perfectly & I saved the game a great deal of lag. I even used the Minus popping sound when they rise from the floor!

This has allowed me the CPU to open the places up more. Now SSZ not only looks like taffy candy but the running spaces also resemble carnival floats. I appreciate this greatly since I'm from New Orleans :D

SSZII
Candy coated carnival floats
wyKAfiJ.png

Other zones in the works
;

DDZI
w0tDH37.png

Slippery & dangerous, It;s going to be tough staying on the track but don"t worry the water is frozen over... Do worry, the ice breaks & quickly refreezes leaving our hero in a pool of space countdown & special damage that keeps you from trying to get out! Oddly enough your better off moving through this zone with as few rings as possible since the water cant throw you back if your not carrying any.

VVZ
Working with the Thok Barrier I attempted to make the zone look like its in a volcanic Vally... duh! However this proved to be a colossal drag on the game. So to in giving VVZ its valley, my first skybox was born.

VVZIII
Boss Fight with skybox
7pFXmvS.png

I'm also using the "broken" heatwave weather effect in VVZ. Aside from the occasional bright flicker of light (that goes beyond 255 light level) that occurs when you collect a ring & it's light particle passes between the player & the screen, it works just fine.

VVZI
gRtQNLQ.png

Light particle caught between the player & screen.

I wonder if we can use this to create lighting effects with light level that go above 255.
ayBRURK.png

Gene Gadget & Panic Puppet are still in their infancy. Hardly worth a screen shot.

It's been a good year for S3DRBCBPNG & I wanna thank everybody again for all the help. I don't think I could have pulled it off without y'all.

I've also decided to start writing the Wiki on slopes :D
Enjoy the teasers & I'll get a download up... eventually:P

I've noticed that a few people visiting this thread have had some issues. everything from driver problems to not understanding CB, PNG or open GL. I want to take this opportunity to let anyone & everyone know that there is plenty of room in this thread for working through these details. Since this is really the first full game CB mod it would be helpful for visitors who are interested to also be able to read up on common problems & their solutions instead of weeding through the help forums finding tiny answers one at a time. It's not clutter, it's helpful!!!

Last edited:
This is looking really good, and I can see a lot of progress. I'm excited to see the end stages of this project. this is how 3d blast should've been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back