Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
RaymanInline_1260215139.jpg

http://www.wiinintendo.net/2009/12/08/rayman-dsiware-footage/
Link to a footage Video.

Costs 800 Points. Which is $8.

Personally I might actually get this, even though I have this on the Playstation. (Which I don't know if it still works, as my PS2 doesn't like to play certain games for some reason...)

Not really a issue, but do they really need to add more Health? I think you start off with 6 units, then if you grab a P Orb, it grows to 10 units of Health. (I can be wrong for this, you know.)

On the Playstation Version (Haven't played any different Versions.) You start off with 3, and grabbing the P Orb makes your Health go up to 5.

So... discuss.

Last edited:
I have the gameboy version, and it has less levels, hopefully this one will be a straight port from the Playstation version, because that one was the best out of all of them.

Seeing his health jump up to ten kinda bugs me though, it ruins the challange the original had.

...Hold up. Hold up, hold up. You're saying, that they're porting a Rayman game? As in, a GOOD Rayman game?

I don't see any rabbids in these screenshots, must be an early version. They'll have plenty of time to screw things up.

MrSmartie: Holy hell, they actually did something right!

Last edited:
I remember this game for the ps....actually I still have somewhere. The 10 units of health thing is quite bothersome though. Maybe they have an easy or normal mode of the game?

Edit: Bob.... its already released.

Holy crap. This is one of the two platformers I've wanted to play my entire life. Now put Abe's Oddysee on DSiware, and I'm in business!

Concerning the extra health: Wasn't the original Rayman notoriously hard? It seems like platformers are featherweight nowadays (Super Guide, anyone?), so maybe the conversion team doesn't want to frighten newcomers away.

Last edited:
Ok, so I downloaded it, and there doesn't seem to be any difficultly setting, so... here's the deal.

You have 3 Empty Files that you can use.

You start the game with 5 Lives, 30 Continues and 6 Health, collecting a P Orb allows you to have 10 Health.

No, I am not making that up, you DO start with 30 Continues, the question is, why?

That's pretty much it, for now...

Last edited:
Holy crap. This is one of the two platformers I've wanted to play my entire life. Now put Abe's Oddysee on DSiware, and I'm in business!

Concerning the extra health: Wasn't the original Rayman notoriously hard? It seems like platformers are featherweight nowadays (Super Guide, anyone?), so maybe the conversion team doesn't want to frighten newcomers away.

The bold might be why they did all those conti'.

Game Overs are kinda deprecated by modern gaming standards anyway. I can't think of a single game released in the past few years where losing all of your lives and continues and starting the game over from scratch was a real threat. And even then, most games have level select making the traditional function of continues kinda pointless. (Touhou doesn't quite count as the lives correspond more to hitpoints of other games... but even there, the newer Touhou games have unlimited continues so even a series as ridiculous as that doesn't have a true game over)

I'm not sure what Game Over may have translated to in Rayman. However, I know that its pretty much the standard to either have checkpoints to save, level select, and ample opportunity to earn more lives. Generally speaking, they don't offer challenge by forcing you replay the game from the start over and over anymore... and unless we're talking about arcade games where that is the appeal, I'm not entirely sure I'm opposed to its disappearance. Most of the challenge isn't so much running out of lives/continues as it is finding your way past tricky hazards. Of course, with games like Megaman, Touhou, and Cave Story where the intensity of the boss fight benefits from having you on your last legs its a different story, but even these games only force you to replay the level afaik.

Anyway, as long as the amount of health isn't easily abused for things like bosses. I have no problem with having a generous count of lives and continues... as the most attractive difficulty is figuring out how to survive from checkpoint to checkpoint without losing a life. (now, I might prefer tougher difficulties, but if I were planning to play the game, it wouldn't be enough to break the deal or cause me to baww)

Ok, so I downloaded it, and there doesn't seem to be any difficultly setting, so... here's the deal.

You have 3 Empty Files that you can use.

You start the game with 5 Lives, 30 Continues and 6 Health, collecting a P Orb allows you to have 10 Health.

No, I am not making that up, you DO start with 30 Continues, the question is, why?

That's pretty much it, for now...
10 health? Bah, I was able to beat the game with 6.

Ah hey, why am I complaining? I mean, it's Rayman here. Rayman is awesome. What I want to see now is a new Rayman oriented Rayman game. Going into the real world (Raving Rabbids 2) destroyed the wonderful fantasy element I loved so much about it. I want them to return to the whole Council of Fairies, lums, and Globox oriented world and have a new adventure. Not a terrible rehash like Revenge of the Hoodlums was though. Something that embraces on the epic nature of Rayman 2, but with the cartoony art style of Rayman 3. Hopefully something that comes close to the genius of a Don Bluth film (Secret of NIMH is on my mind) would be appreciated for the storyline.

To be honest, even though I never played Rayman, I'm tired of seeing the Rabbids myself. I'm just hopeing that last Rabbids game and this DSi Rayman game means they're going back to making real Rayman games that I may actually try.

To be honest, even though I never played Rayman, I'm tired of seeing the Rabbids myself. I'm just hopeing that last Rabbids game and this DSi Rayman game means they're going back to making real Rayman games that I may actually try.
Oh wow. I do suggest checking out the original Rayman trilogy. It's nothing less of awesome. By the way, John Leguizamo as Globox was hilarious.

Ok, I gotten abit far in the game, cleared Dream Forest, and I'm at Band Land with about 14 Lives and 30 Continues.

I did die a few times in some levels, mainly because of the *1 hit-and-fall-in-the-water-and-die* parts.

This might be a spoiler, but the Bosses HP Meter doesn't refill if you happen to die at the time, however I don't know if this applies for all Bosses.

They ported a game that already has been ported countless times? Even on the GBA! (DS can play it...) But then again, the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot...

This might be a spoiler, but the Bosses HP Meter doesn't refill if you happen to die at the time, however I don't know if this applies for all Bosses.

In the Original version, the bosses Hp meter did fill when you died, and in the gameboy version, it only filled up if you did less than half the damage.

I was hoping that this verision wasn't going to be so toned down compared to the playstation version, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, as long as the amount of health isn't easily abused for things like bosses...

With ten points of health, over half of the bosses will be a cakewalk, because you can walk right through their attacks without having to worry about taking too much damage and dieing.

Last edited:
Honestly, HP was never a problem with Rayman. The problem was that you were only given several continues, a system which persisted throughout your entire savegame. You couldn't gain more continues, and if you ran out, you were pretty much screwed unless you could tolerate playing through with a small number of lives (which is a daunting task). To get your continues back, you would need to start a whole new game. The continue system was absolute bull****. It drove me to the point where I resorted to using cheats in order to circumvent it.

If you want my opinion, they could have simply provided infinite continues and left everything else like it was. Dying over and over on a stage really isn't that bad provided that you at least don't have this countdown of doom until your save gets crippled.

Ok, so I'm currently at Blue Mountains with about 50 Lives now.

I still have yet to find all of the cages in the levels.

Also, forgot to add this on, you can get an Extra Life for every 50 Tings you collect, in some other Versions you need to collect 100 in order to get an Extra Life I think.

I bet in the later levels I'll be using them up.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm currently at Blue Mountains with about 50 Lives now.

I still have yet to find all of the cages in the levels.

Also, forgot to add this on, you can get an Extra Life for every 50 Tings you collect, in some other Versions you need to collect 100 in order to get an Extra Life I think.

I bet in the later levels I'll be using them up.
50? Man, they cheapened the difficulty. I mean, seriously?

They're making the game way too easy.

Heavens, this looks like it will be peasy easy, but like somebody already pointed out, lives has become quite of an arcane and cheap method to lengthen a game in the eyes of modern gaming.
Rabbids were hilarious the first time, but now, they're cashing on their success, forgetting the good old platforming Rayman. It's nice to see they really haven't.
Abe's Oddyse? High five, Wombat lord, High five (Although exoddus is KILOMETERS better). How curious we talk about this particular game, since in the Abe games, you have infinite lives.

Sorry to necropost, but here's a question to SonicX8000 or anybody else who may have purchased the game: Is there an "Original Mode" or anything like that, where you get 5 maximum hit points and bosses that regenerate health when you die?

Sorry to necropost, but here's a question to SonicX8000 or anybody else who may have purchased the game: Is there an "Original Mode" or anything like that, where you get 5 maximum hit points and bosses that regenerate health when you die?

No, I don't think there is any Original Mode, I haven't completed the game yet, so I don't know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back